The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Junk email (spam)
Are you unsure whether an email is genuine?
Viruses and banned file types
Incoming and outgoing mail is virus-checked and potentially dangerous items are blocked. Banned file types often have the following extensions: .bat, .com, .exe, .pif, .prf, .scr, .vbs.
If an email is blocked: the sender and recipients are not notified (for security reasons). If attachments are removed: the sender and recipients are notified. If you need to send blocked file type(s) you should add them to a Zip file and send that instead.
From a staff PC, go to Start, All Programs, Winzip and follow the instructions.
Junk e-mail (spam)
The Junk E-Mail folder in the Navigation Pane of OWA and Outlook contains messages suspected to be unsolicited or fraudulent
(spam). Items in the Junk E-Mail folder are deleted after 30 days - it's recommended to regularly check it for any legitimate messages.
- You can change the Kent Spam Filter settings for your email account.
- In Outlook and OWA, you can make sure mail from specific people is never or always marked as spam. This should be used with caution as emails can be faked to appear to be from a legitimate sender.
Instructions for OWA 2010
- Click the Options label at the top right of the screen and choose See All Options..
- On the Options page, click Block or Allow in the Navigation Pane.
- On the Junk E-Mail Settings page, make sure that Automatically filter junk e-mail is selected.
- To always allow email from a specific address, type it into the box under Safe Senders and Recipients, then click the (green +) icon.
- To always block email from a specific address, type it into the box under Blocked Senders, then click the (green +) icon.
- Click the Save label at the bottom right of the screen.
Instructions for Outlook 2007
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click Junk E-mail.
- Click the Safe Senders or Safe Recipients tab.
- Click Add.
- Enter the email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org) or website address (eg, http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/) into the box labelled Enter an e-mail address or Internet domain name to be added to the list, and then click OK.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each item that you want to add.
To add your stored Contacts as safe senders, select Also trust e-mail from my Contacts on the Safe Senders tab.