Online archiving in Exchange 2013
Your mailbox now has a 3GB storage limit, supplemented by an unlimited archive folder sitting next to it in OWA and Outlook.
To free up space in your mailbox, you can use OWA or Outlook to move items into the archive folder.
Your archive folder
It sits below your mailbox. It might be called Archive, In-Place Archive or Online Archive (depending on whether you're using OWA or Outlook).
If you reach your 3GB limit you won’t be able to send or receive emails. You can move items to your archive folder to free up space.
Moving .pst files (email archives or backups) to your new Online Archive
Before the email server upgrade to Exchange 2013 you may have had archive folders attached to your Outlook. These folders saved emails in .pst files on your computer or on shared network drives.
Since the upgrade these folders have stopped archiving your email. Instead you have a new Online Archive folder attached to your Outlook.
You can drag and drop files from your old archive folders into your new Online Archive folder. This will make these emails available wherever you are via Outlook Web App.
If you have .pst files stored elsewhere and want to attach them to Outlook so you can transfer the emails to your online archive, follow these instructions:
- Open Outlook 2010 or 2013
- Click File, then Account Settings, then Account Settings...
- Click the Data Files tab, then Add...
- Find your .pst file, click on it, click OK and then Close
- The .pst file will appear as a new folder in Outlook, possibly called Outlook Data File or Archive
- You can now drag and drop files between this folder and your online archive folder
Why can’t I just keep it all in my Inbox?
It's more cost effective: your mailbox uses expensive hardware. The online archive, because it's accessed less often, can use cheaper disks.
How do I use the archive?
To move a folder or an individual email into your archive folder, right-click on it, choose Move and choose a location.
You can set rules on a folder to move content after a set time into your archive folder.
- Right-click on an email folder you want to auto-archive, select Properties, then Policy.
- In the Online Archive section at the bottom, choose from the drop down list when you want items to be archived. Whatever you choose is then applied to any sub-folders within that folder.
Outlook Web App
- Log into http://owa.connect.kent.ac.uk
- Right-click on an email folder you want to auto-archive, select Assign Policy
- Under the Archive Policy options select when you want items to be archived. Whatever you choose is then applied to any sub-folders within that folder.