Kent IT Account closure
When you leave the University your IT Account closes. This means you can no longer access University files or resources, and your email address changes.
Undergraduates and taught postgraduates
What you lose access to
The day your student registration ends you lose access to Library e-resources.
After 60 days you lose access to all University systems and files, including KentVision, Moodle, Wi-Fi. You're taken off University and student society mailing lists.
Print credits are not usually refunded; you can apply for a refund in person at the Templeman Library (you must do this before your account closes).
What can I still use?
- You can keep your email account for life
- MyFolio: you can access it a year
- You can apply for a Library alumni discounted borrower account
- Want to keep your web favourites? Exporting and importing advice for IE
If you're starting another course
When the new course starts you'll get a new Kent IT Account with a new username.
Staff and research postgraduates
Before you leave Kent, the closing date for your IT Account is emailed to you.
After that, you will lose access to the Kent network and all University systems except alumni email, which you have for life, and MyFolio which you have for a year.
You will have no access to:
- Systems and web services like SDS, Moodle, Sharepoint, Library e-resources
- Mailing lists: you will be taken off University mailing lists
- Blog publishing: if you run or edit a blog you will lose access to it.
Before your IT Account closes, you should:
Contact Helpdesk if you have:
- an Organisational Unit (OU) Account: this account needs to be closed;
- access to electronic documents: your access rights need to be removed.
If you have an account that's managed by other departments (eg Finance or Student Data Systems) please ask them to close your account on your leaving date.
Moving or copying data
You need to move work files to a shared location on the network, and should move or delete personal files.
- Email: forward email to your alumni email account, which you can access now (or another alternative email). You can ask for future mail sent to your student account to automatically redirect to your alumni email account. The redirect will start on your leaving date and continue to work when your Kent IT Account is closed.
- Web favourites: exporting and importing (Internet Explorer: Microsoft advice)