Kent IT account closure
When you leave the University your IT account closes. This means you can no longer access University files or resources, and your email address changes.
Undergraduates and taught postgraduates
On the date your student registration ends:
- you instantly lose access to Moodle and Library e-resources.
- your IT account stays open for 60 days. After 60 days you lose access to the Kent network and all University systems except email which you have for life, and MyFolio (you can use MyFilio for up to a year). You're taken off University and student society mailing lists.
Finished one course and due to start another?
When the new course starts you will be given a new Kent IT account, and therefore a new username
You can take your Internet Explorer Favourites with you
Want to keep your web favourites? Exporting and importing advice for Internet Explorer
Staff and research postgraduates
Before you leave Kent, the closing date for your IT account is emailed to you.
After that, you will lose access to the Kent network and all University systems except alumni email, which you have for life, and MyFolio which you have for a year.
This means you will have no access to:
- Systems and web services like SDS, Moodle, Sharepoint, Library e-resources
- Mailing lists: you will be taken off University mailing lists
- Blog publishing: if you run or edit a blog you will lose access to it.
Before your IT account closes, you should:
Contact Helpdesk if you have:
- an Organisational Unit (OU) account: this account needs to be closed;
- access to electronic documents: your access rights need to be removed.
If you have an account that's managed by other departments (eg Finance or Student Data Systems) please ask them to close your account on your leaving date.
Moving or copying data
You need to move work files to a shared location on the network, and should move or delete personal files.
- Email: you can forward email to your staff alumni email account and request mail redirection that will start working on your leaving date and continue to work when your account is closed: more about your email options
- Web favourites: exporting and importing (Internet Explorer: Microsoft advice)