International Student

Manage your money

You will be required to pay your fees at the start of term and there are several ways to do this.

Opening a bank account

Unless you are already resident in the United Kingdom and have a United Kingdom bank account you will find it essential to open a bank account. We have one bank on the Canterbury campus and other banks are available in the local towns. Opening an account is relatively easy but you will require:

  • passport or EU identity card
  • original letter of acceptance to the University
  • evidence of programme of study and length of programme
  • your room agreement (officially) stamped by the receptionist upon your arrival

In most cases your offer letter will be sufficient. If we have made an offer to you at a temporary address or university address you will require other evidence of your main residence/home address such as bank or credit card statements.

Read the bba guide to student banking in the UK for more info.

Medway banks

Each of the main banks has a branch in both the local towns of Gillingham and Chatham.

Opening an account in Brussels

Opening a current or checking account is relatively straightforward. You will need to show proof of identity: either a passport or Belgian ID card. The use of cheques is very rare in Belgium and often more expensive than electronic systems of payment.


International Development - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 07/08/2018