At Kent we consider all applications on their individual merit and welcome students from Oman with a wide variety of qualifications and experience. Please note that some departments may have slightly different entry criteria.
If you have any specific queries or questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students from Oman wishing to pursue a foundation programme at Kent will need to obtain a Thanawiya Amma (General Education Diploma) with an overall grade of at least 80%. Any required subjects should be at 80% or above. Higher average grades may be required depending on the entry requirements of the degree programme to be taken after successful completion of the foundation course.
We offer two types of foundation programme which enable progression onto a wide range of our undergraduate degrees: the International Foundation Programme (IFP) and 4-year integrated programmes which include a foundation year:
- The International Foundation Programme (IFP) is for international students whose school-leaving qualifications are insufficient for direct entry to undergraduate study and/or whose English language standard is below the necessary level. The IFP gives you a year’s preparation in academic subjects, English language and study skills up to the required level for progression onto undergraduate degree study. The IFP is delivered at our Canterbury campus by University of Kent academics and successful completion of the programme provides entry into a wide range of Bachelor degrees in our faculties of Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences. We offer September and February start dates depending on your chosen pathway and the degree you intend to progress on to.
- We offer 4-year integrated programmes which include a foundation year in Actuarial Science, Chemistry, Computer Systems Engineering, Electronic and Communications Engineering, Forensic Science, Mathematics, Pharmacology and Physiology, and Physics. These are designed for students with acceptable English language ability but school-leaving qualifications below the level required for direct entry to an undergraduate degree. Entry to these foundation programmes may require you to have studied specific subjects at high school.
Please note: you only need to take a foundation programme if your qualifications are not suitable for your chosen degree.
To be considered for entry to Year 1 of a Kent undergraduate degree programme, Omani students typically need to have completed one of the following:
- A foundation course, either at a UK based college, or a college in Oman. All applicants with a foundation qualification will be considered on an individual basis – please contact the International Recruitment team at email@example.com to check if your qualification is acceptable
- Diploma or Advanced/Higher Diploma from a College of Technology with a final GPA of at least 3.2/4.0
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) from a College of Technology with a final GPA of at least 3.2/4.0
Students who have completed a Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) may be considered for 2nd year entry on a case-by-case basis if they have studied similar content to Year 1 of the Kent undergraduate degree applied for.
For entry to a Kent postgraduate degree programme (Master’s), Omani students typically need to have completed a Bachelor degree from Sultan Qaboos University (SQU), a private university or a College of Applied Sciences. Exact requirements will depend on the postgraduate degree you are applying for and the undergraduate degree you have studied.
- For programmes that require a 2:1 we usually ask for a final GPA of between 3.0-3.2/4.0
- For programmes that require a 2:2 we usually ask for a final GPA of between 2.8-3.0/4.0
Some, but not all, postgraduate programmes require your undergraduate degree to have a related major. Some postgraduate programmes may require work experience in a relevant field or at a certain level.
For details of our MBA programme, please see the MBA course page.
For entry to a Kent PhD programme, Omani students typically need to have completed a Master's degree from Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) or a private university, with a final GPA of between 3.0-3.2/4.0. Students who have not completed a thesis as part of their degree will need to show evidence of previous research experience.
If you would like to pursue a PhD at Kent, you should visit the relevant department website and our find a supervisor page to identify potential supervisors for your research and thesis. You are encouraged to then make direct contact with the appropriate academic to discuss your research proposal.
The University has three PhD entry dates during the academic year: September, January and May. Entry to a Master’s by Research is in September only.
English language requirements
Applicants will also need to meet University of Kent's standard English language requirements. These are set at a level that meets both the academic needs of the University and the minimum requirements for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
Applicants for the International Foundation Programme or pre-sessional English programmes are required to have a UKVI recognised SELT (Secure English Language Test). These must be taken at one of the UKVI approved test centres.
Applicants for postgraduate programmes who have studied to at least Bachelor’s degree level entirely in the medium of English or who have worked in an English speaking environment may be considered for exemption from standard English language requirements on a case-by-case basis. A letter confirming the medium of instruction of English will be required.
Pre-sessional courses in English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
If you need to raise your English language skills, you can attend one of our intensive pre-sessional courses in English for Academic Purposes. Satisfactory achievement on one of these courses can be used to meet Kent's English language entry requirements in place of other external language examinations.
Fees and funding
For the latest details on fees, see our course fees look-up table.
The University offers a wide variety of financial support and scholarships, including awards for academic, musical and sporting excellence. Scholarships include our International scholarships for undergraduate students and International Scholarship for Taught Masters Students.
For details of all the scholarships available, please use our scholarship finder.