International Student

Coming to Kent

Now that you've confirmed your place at Kent, you can start to prepare for living and studying in the UK. In addition to the tips below, the British Council has a lot of useful information about planning your stay and life in the UK. You can also check our Student Guide.

Preparing for University

Show all


Hide all

General tips

  • Give your university address to friends and family - you'll look forward to receiving post from home.
  • Buy a TV licence - you must be covered by a TV Licence to:
    • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, such as All4, Sky Go and YouTube, or
    • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

    This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

  • Contents insurance - if you are living in University accommodation, contents insurance is included in your rent. If you will be staying off campus in private accommodation, you should purchase sufficient contents insurance to protect your belongings.
  • Consider buying a pre-paid international phone card in the UK, or using the internet to make telephone calls home, as using your mobile phone to call home from the UK may be expensive.

Study skills

Part of the challenge in studying in a new country is adapting to the learning methods. How will you be taught? What will your tutors expect? How will you be graded? The Prepare for Success website has some useful tips on getting ready for study in the UK. At Kent, you can be sure of the academic support necessary to help you adapt to study in the UK.

Pre-sessional courses in English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
If you need to raise your English language skills to the equivalent of 6.5 or 7.0 in IELTS (meeting level B2, as specified by the UK Home Office), you can attend one of our intensive pre-sessional courses in EAP. Satisfactory achievement on one of these courses can be used to meet Kent’s English language entry requirements in place of other external language examinations.

We offer courses that prepare you for studying in English at undergraduate or postgraduate level. All our courses are taught by experts in the field of EAP. Kent International Pathways administers the courses, providing an intensive, full-time course of study with 20-25 hours of classes per week. Teaching includes lectures, seminars, workshops, independent research tasks, and group and pair work. The courses are delivered at our campus in Canterbury and range in length from five weeks to 17 weeks. We also offer a six-week pre-sessional course at our centre in Brussels. The length of programme you need to attend is determined by your existing English language ability.

International Foundation Programme
If you wish to study at the University of Kent but require further study for a year in order to improve your level of understanding in a subject or in English language, you can take our International Foundation Programme.

In-sessional English skills
In-sessional English Skills (IES) is our key in-sessional course which provides free additional training in English for Academic Purposes to any registered international student at the University of Kent. It consists of 6 modules which run in the autumn term and are repeated in the spring term. Writing tutorials are available all year. Find out more...


The British Council have extensive information about living in the UK, including Health and Safety advice. Find out more...


Some tips for packing to help you get ready for the big move. But don’t worry if you forget something, you can buy most of the things you need once you are here.

  • Bring a camera: Canterbury Cathedral, Leeds Castle, Big Ben, the London Eye, Tower Bridge. The whole of Britain is waiting to be discovered, so get ready and start snapping.
  • Canterbury has a great choice of international and British cuisine. Halal dishes are available across campus, and vegetarian and kosher options are widely available.
  • The UK enjoys four seasons, which means you'll need clothing to suit the changes in the weather through the year. See the Met Office website for more information on UK weather.
  • Remember to bring lots of posters and photographs to brighten and personalise your room. It will feel more homely and photographs are great conversation starters with corridor mates.
  • A travel size electrical adapter is a good idea. Remember you may decide to travel through Europe on your holidays, so make it multi-purpose.
  • Try not to bring cooking utensils - self-catering accommodation on campus comes equipped with basic utensils, and you will be able to find anything else you need in town.
  • For other tips and information, see our Student Guide.

For further guidance, please see HM Revenue and Customs and check your airline's rules on what you can and can not pack.



International Development - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 05/01/2018