Information compliance e-learning module
The University's primary source of DP training is the mandatory online training module. There is now a new course to enrol on entitled Data Protection (GDPR). The main purpose of the training is to remind staff of what personal data is and the importance of taking care of it. This is the same under GDPR as it has always been under the DPA.
Select 'Catalogue' from dropdown menu on top left of screen to find the course. The old course ‘Data Protection and Freedom of Information’ is still available to enable staff to check how recently they have completed Data Protection training.
The online training should be appropriate for all desk-based staff. If you are responsible for staff who are not based at a desk then please contact the Information Compliance Team to discuss alternative solutions.
23 April 2018 update: New GDPR version of online training available
19 May 2017 update: Requires Flash enabled, please contact us if you are not able to run the training.
21 Feb 2017 update: We have updated our system so that the Kent login can be used to access the training. If you have any problems accessing previous training please get in touch.
This module provides guidance on records management, information security, Data Protection and Freedom of Information; it aims to ensure that you:
- Understand legal requirements surrounding Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Understand the principles of effective records management and information security
- Can apply both records management and information security to ensure that you comply with Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation
- Understand how to apply the training into your daily work
- Understand Freedom of Information legislation and how to respond to requests
- Understand the principles and practicalities involved in Data Protection
As a guide, the module takes approximately 1 hour to complete, however you will have the option to bookmark your progress and complete the course in chunks if you would prefer.
As well as offering flexibility, the on-line modules provide a safe environment for you to learn more about Data Protection and Freedom of Information. Helpful quizzes are incorporated to test your knowledge and understanding along the way - please be assured that this information is intended for self-assessment purposes only. The modules are also useful as refresher training, or to update your knowledge.