Frequently asked questions or FAQ's
Staff Connect > FAQs
We have provided answers to frequently asked questions about the current functionality within Staff Connect, and the planned new features. If you cannot find an answer to a question you have please do contact the Staff Connect project team
- What is Staff Connect?
- Staff Connect is the name given by the University to our online HR and Payroll system. The system is developed by a company called NGA. It is currently used in more than 450 organisations across the UK, including many universities. It has a great track record of success. The system currently provides all staff with online access to their key personal data, payslips and P60s. The second phase of development of the system is now underway, focusing on streamlining our HR processes.
- What is Staff Connect Phase 2?
- The second phase of Staff Connect will see the phased introduction of further functionality to the system, enabling an automated, streamlined, single point of entry for many of our HR functions. By the end of the second phase of development you will be able to view and book onto training courses provided by Learning & Organisational Development (L&OD) and request annual leave via the system. If you line manage others, Staff Connect will be where you go to authorise training and leave requests, record some forms of absence and you will have the option to log Appraisals/RPDs. If you are a recruiting manager, Phase 2 will also see the replacement of the current i-grasp recruitment system.
- What is the planned timeline for the introduction of the new Staff Connect functionality?
- The first of the new functionality to launch will be Training Administration and Appraisal/RPD – in autumn 2018. These new elements to Staff Connect will replace the existing system used by L&OD for training course administration, registration and evaluation of courses managed and delivered centrally by them. It will also provide a means by which line-managers can log Appraisals/RPD. The next planned functionality to launch will be absence management - with Staff Connect becoming the place you will go to request leave from January 2019, and soon after this, where line-managers will go to report other types of absence.
- How will you be kept informed about Staff Connect developments?
- In addition to this website, there will be regular updates on Campus Online. Each school and department can request a presentation during the Autumn 2018 term.
- How will you be supported to use the new functionality in Staff Connect?
- Staff Connect is very user friendly, but a range of support resources will be developed ahead of the launch of each new element of Staff Connect, including online guides.
- How are staff being consulted on the development of Staff Connect?
- A Stakeholder Engagement Group has been formed comprising staff from across the University. The purpose of the group is to represent the views of the wide range of stakeholders impacted by Phase 2, and to ensure that the project, its modules and the communication and engagement approach are developed in an open and collaborative way with all stakeholder groups.
- Why is the University holding all the data about me that I can now see in Staff Connect?
- The University is required to hold a certain amount of personal data about members of staff. However, some of the data fields on the Equality and Diversity page in Staff Connect include the option of “Prefer not to say” and so you will be able to change those fields and thereby withhold that information if you wish. If you would prefer data in fields which are not user-amendable not to be held, then please contact a system administrator in the HR Ops team who will advise whether it will be possible to amend or remove this data. Your enquiry will be treated confidentially.
- What should you do if some of your details are missing or wrong?
- It is very important that all personal data we hold about members of staff is complete and accurate. Therefore, if you see that data is either missing or incorrect, we would ask that you please try to make the necessary additions or corrections. Most of the data fields can be changed by you, but some data fields, e.g. date of birth, can only be changed by the system administrators and so please contact the HR Ops team to notify them.
- What should you do if your disability status changes?
- If you have changed your disability status please contact Occupational Health or your Employee Relations Adviser to give you details as to how to access support services, including any reasonable adjustments that you may require.
- What should you do if your Equality and Diversity page on Staff Connect is empty? Do you need to complete this now?
- It would help if you can do so as the University is committed to the creation and support of a balanced, inclusive and diverse community, but it is not mandatory and you have the option to “prefer not to say” to individual questions.
back to top
- What is an online payslip and how does it differ from paper ones?
- An online payslip contains the same information as a paper payslip, it is just viewable online via the web. Take a look at the pay docs page on our Staff Connect tutorial for an example payslip.
- Are your bank details visible on Staff Connect?
- It was originally intended that staff would be able to view and change their bank details via Staff Connect. However, in response to concern from staff, bank details have been removed from your Staff Connect account. If you want to change your bank details, please contact the Pay Office
- What is the Government position on electronic payslips?
- HMRC state that employers can either print payslips to give to their employees or can send them electronically.
- Are printed copies of electronic payslips acceptable when applying for UK residence?
- Our Immigration team have established that a printed copy of an on-line payslip will be sufficient for the purposes of applying for residency. However, if any individual needs to provide further proof of earnings, HR will be very happy to provide an official letter on University stationery for this purpose.
back to top
- How do you access Staff Connect?
- The address of Staff Connect is https://staffconnect.kent.ac.uk You can also access Staff Connect using the link on the Campus Online webpage. To use your Staff Connect account you will need your University Staff IT account username and password.
- What should you do if you don't think you have an active Staff IT account?
- It is likely that you do have a staff IT account, but it probably needs to be re-activated if it has not been previously used, or accessed for some time. Inform your manager about this, and they will contact Information Services.
- Is your information secure?
- Staff Connect sits on the University's network. It has been robustly tested for security, and back-up procedures are in place to ensure the safety and security of your data. As with any confidential information, you should keep your account details private, and if you are viewing the system on a public machine always log out and quit your browser when you have finished.
- Does it matter which browser you use to access Staff Connect?
- It is advised that you use the Google Chrome browser. Some features of Staff Connect including the ability to save an electronic copy of your pay documents, do not work in Internet Explorer on Windows 7 machines. If you have Windows 10 either personally or at work, then you can use either Internet Explorer or the new Microsoft Edge browser to print pay documents in addition to the Chrome browser.
- Can you edit your details from any PC or Mac?
Where you access Staff Connect will affect whether you will be able to just view your details or edit them.
If you want to edit your details on Staff Connect when you are away from campus, for security, you need to connect to the VPN service first by following the instructions at https://www.kent.ac.uk/itservices/home/index.html . Once connected to VPN, you can log on to Staff Connect as usual and update your details. You need to register for VPN before you can use it using the online form. Registration requests are processed during working hours.
- Can you download your payslip from Staff Connect?
- There are increasingly few situations when you require a copy of a payslip, but if you do require one, they can be downloaded from the system. Currently, you are required to use the Google Chrome browser if you want to download an electronic copy. Take a look at this guide on how to download a copy of a pay document.
- Are there any features to help me access Staff Connect in alternative formats?
- Yes, tools and assistive technology software are available from http://www.kent.ac.uk/itservices/productivity
back to top
- What do schools and departments need to tell HR about job/post changes?
- HR Systems need to be informed:
- if a post is incorrectly associated within your school or department. This may be:
- a post that is missing
- a post that should be associated with another school or department
- in the case of departments that have a complex internal structure (such as Information Services), where post has been assigned to an incorrect sub-department
- when a vacant post is no longer required. The post will be designated as obsolete and will no longer appear in the establishment report.
- if the line management relationships between posts is incorrect or changes.
If the name or internal structure of your school or department changes then you will need to discuss this with HR Systems and your HR Business Partner.
- if a post is incorrectly associated within your school or department. This may be:
- Who can see and edit line management reports?
Ahead of the launch of the new Phase 2 functionality in Staff Connect, nominees were identified in all schools and departments who have been given access to two reports in Staff Connect. In all academic schools this nominee is the School Administration Manager. In Professional Service Departments, the nominee has been selected by the Head of Service.
To inform HR and Payroll of any changes, school and departmental nominees need to access one or both of these reports on Staff Connect. The Establishment report shows posts, the Line Management report shows the relationship between posts.
If you have only a few changes please use the links embedded directly in the reports to notify HR of any changes. These links will load and populate an email with data from the report and will allow you to enter the correct information.
If you have more than five changes please export the reports from Staff Connect to Excel by clicking on the export button near the top-left of the reports and selecting XLSX. Once in Excel, you are advised to delete the top two rows containing the title and any help text as it will make it easier to sort and filter. Once you have made the required changes email this to email@example.com
- What reports can line managers access on Staff Connect?
- If you are a line manager you can request authorisation (from your Head of School/Department) to view a number of reports via Staff Connect. These reports include: current staff, current timesheet staff, future starters, staff on probation, staff on study leave and most recently the Establishment and Line Management reports. Further information about these reports and the authorisation form are available on the HR website.
- Where can you find instructions on running reports?
- HR Systems & Planning have developed a user guide available by clicking here or accessible via the useful links in Staff Connect (found on the left-hand side once you have logged on).
- Who should you contact if you have a query with HR or Finance reports?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any HR report queries, and email@example.com for queries about Finance reports.
- Why has the training provided by Learning & Organisational Development (L&OD) moved onto Staff Connect?
- Moving the administration of training courses onto Staff Connect is part of a move of most HR-related tasks being conducted via Staff Connect. As an employee you can request a place on a course, evaluate it and see a record of your training via Staff Connect. If you are a line-manager you can to see the training undertaken by your staff. For L&OD, using Staff Connect to administer their training will mean they can streamline a number of current manual processes.
- Will mandatory courses be included such as GDPR?
- Phase 2 of Staff Connect will only include courses delivered by Learning & Organisational Development (L&OD). Courses such as GDPR are currently outside of the scope of the project.
- Will fee remission details be available via Staff Connect?
- Members of staff undertaking a part-time programme of study at the University of Kent, and who meet eligibility criteria, can apply for staff fee remission. The fee remission process will remain an electronic form and the L&OD team will record this in the back end of the Staff Connect system. However, details will not be displayed for either the employee or their manager via Staff Connect.
- Is it possible for staff to sign up for training without authorisation?
- No. When you request training from Learning & Organisational Development via Staff Connect an alert is sent asking the line manager to authorise or reject the request.
- Is there a way for employees and or managers to record training needs that have been identified on Staff Connect?
- The only way future training needs can be recorded on Staff Connect will be to use the additional comments box on the Appraisal (RPD) logging page.
- Will managers be required to provide any comments on Staff Connect when they approve/reject training?
- There will be a comments box on the Training Authorisation/Rejection page, but its use will not be mandatory. However, Learning & Organisational Development would encourage managers to complete it.
- Are all Learning & Organisational Development courses advertised through Staff Connect?
- All L&OD open courses are published on Staff Connect for booking. The exception is nominated courses e.g. Leadership and Management programmes which are filled through nomination.
- How do I access the pre work?
- There is a link in the Staff Connect Training Record screen to the SharePoint site. There is also a link on the Learning & Organisational Development webpage.
- Why are cost codes no longer required?
- Staff Connect links to your staff record which includes cost codes. Learning & Organisational Development wants to move away from the practice of charging if someone does not attend.
- Will there be a charge if someone does not attend?
- Through Staff Connect, you can manage your bookings and cancel your attendance if you know in advance. Managers can also cancel bookings for their team members. Learning & Organisational Development ask that you give as much notice as possible if you can’t attend as planned. However, we know that events happen on the day of a training course, please contact the L&OD team by email or by phone to let us know. We don’t plan to charge staff for non-attendance.
- How do I cancel and what are the timeframes?
- If you no longer need to or cannot attend the course event please go to Staff Connect, Training Record, click on the Course Event from your calendar and Cancel Course Booking. This will send a cancellation request to your manager. Please give five working days’ notice so your place can be filled.
- What is the difference between Cancelled and Withdrawing?
- You ‘Withdraw’ from a course request, if your manager has not yet approved it or you are on the waiting list. You ‘Cancel Course Booking’ if the course has been approved.
- What is the different between Requested and Submitted?
- ‘Requested’ means the request has been sent to your manager but not yet approved, ‘Submitted’ means your manager has approved it.
- How can I tell the difference between being on a course event date vs the waiting list?
- If you are booked onto an event, under Courses Requested next to the title of the Course will be an event date. If you are on the waiting list this will say ‘Non-Scheduled’ Request. This view is the same in Manager’s view so you’ll know if your employee is on the course event or on the waiting list.
- What happens if I’m on a waiting list?
- If a course date (event) is added, the people on the waiting list will be notified and asked to make a training request. If no course dates are planned, the waiting list will also be informed.
- Will previous courses I have attended show on Staff Connect?
- No, we will not be migrating any data from the current system.
- Can I access my old records?
- Yes, please call or email Learning & Organisational Development and they will be able to access the old L&OD database.
- Will information about courses be on the Learning & Organisational Development website?
- Yes, there will still be information about courses on the Learning & Organisational Development website.
- What is the Form History?
- Each time you make a request (for training or to cancel training) this creates a Form with all the information concerning that request. The Form History table shows all historical forms.
- What is the difference between Save and Submit?
- Save does not start the process for authorisation so where there are two options please always use Submit.
- Why do you need to provide a reason for a training request?
- For the manager to review the request, they will need information about how attending the course will help you in your role.
- Is it possible to record a reason for cancelling a course?
- Not currently, we have asked NgA (our supplier) if this can be an enhancement.
- Does the training module work when using an Apple Mac?
- Yes, the module will work with Apple Macs however, when there is a pop up confirmation it will appear with a circle that looks as if it has frozen. Using the circle click yes or no to confirm and it will process as usual.
- Why isn’t all training available to book through Staff Connect? E.g. Health and Safety and IT training?
- Staff Connect is an HR Systems project and training provided by HR Learning & Organisational Development is the starting point. It is hoped that other training may be added to Staff Connect in the future.
- If my line manager turns down my request for training, will I know why?
- Line managers are encouraged to talk to staff, face-to-face, if there is a reason for rejecting a training request, rather than relying on Staff Connect. If your request is rejected, you will receive an automated message from Staff Connect; this will not have the reason stated. However if a manager has entered a reason in the system, it will appear in your training record.
back to top
- When will functionality enabling line-managers to record Appraisal (RPD) meetings become available on Staff Connect?
- This became live on 23 October 2018.
- Is it mandatory that Appraisal (RPD) meetings are recorded in Staff Connect?
- It is mandatory for the date of the Appraisal (RPD) discussion to be recorded in Staff Connect for everyone. However, it is optional if you want to upload the evidence of the discussion. If you don’t upload the evidence then you will need to let HR know that you are storing it yourself and who to contact person if HR needs access to the paperwork.
- Is there a way to link the training needs identified within an Appraisal (RPD) to the training module?
- Whilst training needs can be noted in the Appraisal (RPD) functionality in Staff Connect, as they can be noted on paper, there will not be a link triggering a training request in the system.
- Will Staff Connect have the facility to upload documentation related to the Appraisal (RPD), and will it be mandatory to do so?
- Managers will have the ability to upload documentation when logging the outcome of an Appraisal (RPD) meeting, however this is not mandatory.
- Will only the employee and their line manager have access to any Appraisal (RPD) documentation in Staff Connect?
- The post-to-post reporting structure in Staff Connect means that if documentation is added to the Appraisal (RPD) logging page, this will be visible to managers higher up the hierarchy.
- Why are employees asked to authorise their Appraisal (RPD) logged by their line-manager in Staff Connect?
- Employees would normally sign-off the outcome of an Appraisal (RPD) meeting. The term "authorise" is a Staff Connect setting that cannot be changed.
- How will this new functionality in Staff Connect work with performance management?
- The Appraisal (RPD) functionality provides the facility for line-managers to log that the RPD meeting has occurred and its outcome. Notes can be added to this page.
back to top
Annual leave & absence
- When is the annual leave and absence functionality due to go live in Staff Connect?
- The annual leave and absence functionality is planned for launch in early January 2019.
- Who will need to use the absence management and annual leave system?
All professional services, academic and research staff will use Staff Connect to record absences, including sickness and annual leave. The Staff Connect absence management module will be the only recognised University record of absence and will be the database on which the University will rely for absence related actions and judgements. It is linked to Payroll and therefore it is important that any leave type that affects your pay is entered promptly.
For colleagues in European centres, local arrangements will continue as usual.
Staff on timesheet contracts will not use Staff Connect to record annual leave but will use it to record sickness absence.
- Can we start to use the absence functionality before January 2019, for example, for annual leave requests?
- Because the Staff Connect absence system is still being built and tested we cannot put any live data in it yet. Please continue to use your existing system until January 2019.
- Will Staff Connect replace other systems used by some schools and departments such as e-days?
- Yes. From January 2019 Staff Connect will become the means by which to request, authorise and view annual leave and absence replacing any local systems, such as paper-based forms or local spreadsheets. Some parts of the University have taken a devolved decision to use e-days, a proprietary absence management and tracking system. IS has not been supporting the roll out of e-days since early 2018 and from March 2019 it will no longer be supported by them. There are inevitably some differences in the functionality of e-days and Staff Connect. The benefits to the University as a whole will significantly outweigh any advantages that e-days or other systems may provide. The Staff Connect absence management module will be the only recognised University record of absence and will be the database on which the University will rely for absence related actions and judgements (eg to support any applications for Individual Special Circumstances for REF2021 and for sick pay entitlements).
- Why has the University chosen to use Staff Connect to manage annual leave?
- Using Staff Connect to request, authorise and view annual leave will enable the University to provide a streamlined modern way for employees to request annual leave and for line-managers to authorise/reject this, whilst seeing the annual leave of their team at a glance. Unlike e-days and other local systems, recording annual leave in Staff Connect means that it will be instantly visible to other relevant departments such as HR or Payroll.
- What is included within my annual leave entitlement?
- Everyone’s annual leave entitlement will include their entitlement for Bank Holidays and Customary days. For full time members of staff on a standard contract Bank Holidays and Customary days will be entered on your behalf, however it is your responsibility to check the details entered are correct. It is also your responsibility to ensure you use your entitlement where appropriate i.e. if you would normally work on a Bank Holiday then you must enter this day’s absence as annual leave on Staff Connect and ensure the correct number of hours are being deducted from your entitlement.
- Will Staff Connect show annual leave entitlements and any changes to these?
- Yes. Staff Connect will automatically calculate changes to annual leave entitlements based on the Terms and Conditions applicable to your post.
- Who do I contact if I think my annual leave entitlement on Staff Connect is incorrect?
- Please speak to your line manager in the first instance and if your annual leave entitlement is incorrect they will be able to contact the relevant HR teams to update your entitlements.
- Can Staff Connect be used to record time off in lieu (TOIL)?
- Staff Connect is an absence management system so you will be able to record staff taking periods of TOIL on the system as an ‘Authorised Paid’ absence type. When entering this type of absence there is a further drop down list to select the reason the member of staff is off; TOIL is one of those options. Unfortunately, currently there is no way of using Staff Connect to record TOIL as it is accrued but this is something that may be released in future updates of the system.
- Will the system allow staff to carry over annual leave into the next leave year?
- Yes. Carry over rules will be based on Terms and Conditions for each post.
- How far in advance can I book leave?
- You can book leave up to two years in advance. In January 2019 you will be able to see an absence calendar for 2019 and 2020. Each January the calendar for the next two years will become visible.
- How will annual leave entitlement work for those employees who have no fixed hours or work pattern?
- When you request annual leave you will be asked to enter the hours you would normally be working on that day or days. That number of hours will then be deducted from your remaining annual leave entitlement. For staff on an academic/research contract, annual leave is calculated on a nominal 35 hour week.
- I have more than one post. How do I request/record absences on Staff Connect?
- For each post you will receive an annual leave entitlement, if applicable, and when you click on the Absence button on Staff Connect you will be prompted to select which post you are recording absences for. Please ensure you select the correct post to ensure the request is sent to the correct line manager.
- Will annual leave entitlements be shown on a daily or hourly basis on Staff Connect?
- Due to many differing work patterns across the University, Staff Connect calculates leave in hours rather than days, for all staff.
- How many hours are there in a standard full-time working day?
- One day=seven hours and one week=35 hours on standard, full-time contracts.
- How are the hours per day in the Planned Work Time screen calculated?
- The Planned Work Time screen calculates a daily working average of hours by dividing your contracted hours across your work pattern. If you have any queries about this calculation please check your contract and if your details need updating on Staff Connect please contact the relevant HR team.
- Will the annual leave calculator remain on the HR website when annual leave launches in Staff Connect?
- Yes. The current leave calculator will remain on the HR website for the foreseeable future.
- Will I be able to see who in my team has booked leave or is on sick leave, maternity leave, etc?
- Staff Connect will have two separate calendars, one for absence (leave and sickness), and one for training. The absence calendar will show all team members when others in their team are due to be absent but not the reason for this e.g. it will not specify whether a team member is on annual leave or sick leave. Managers will be able to see the reason for absence/leave for all members of their team.
- Will an .ical file to be sent to the employee and/or managers Outlook calendar?
- Yes, an ical file will be emailed to you when your leave is confirmed. However any changes made in Staff Connect won’t update Outlook.
- Can annual leave and sick leave be entered retrospectively?
- Will Staff Connect alert line-managers about employees approaching trigger points?
- Trigger points are points at which it is appropriate for managers to review the sickness absence of an individual member of staff and take action as necessary and appropriate. Staff in HR will gain alerts regarding employees approaching trigger points, but not managers at present. However, this requirement has been noted and options considered as to how these can be provided to line managers.
- Can we complete the sick form online?
- We are currently looking into this, after feedback from staff, to improve efficiency.
- e-days is used to monitor Tier 2 students in some departments. Can it be retained for these areas?
- e-days will not be retained after Staff Connect launches as Staff Connect has built in reporting capability. Requirements, including the monitoring of Tier 2 staff, have been gathered from stakeholders in the University.
- Will Staff Connect have functionality to enable colleagues to record when they cannot be contacted/out of the office i.e. working from home, working on another campus, appointments etc?
- Staff Connect is not a calendar management tool, so no, this functionality will not be in the system. It is suggested that in Outlook the University has the best tool for recording/notifying when staff are at different locations.
- Is it possible to mark dates when leave is restricted (eg open days, clearing, etc)?
- No, this will not be possible as these restrictions vary from department to department and this could only be set up for the University as a whole.
- Will Staff Connect have absence reporting included?
- Staff Connect will have absence reporting included, but the exact form of this has not yet been decided. Requirements being gathered from stakeholders.
- Will Staff Connect link to Occupational Health referrals where appropriate?
- There are no plans to link occupational health referrals with the Staff Connect system. Managers should continue to use existing procedures.
back to top