Staff Immigration

Working in the UK

Following the UK's decision to leave the EU, on 1 January 2021 a new points-based immigration system was intoduced which sees EEA and non-EEA nationals treated equally.

Under the new immigration system, non-EEA citizens and EEA citizens who were not resident in the UK before 31 December 2020, will require a visa to work in the UK.

The UK points-based system is the most common route, however there are other visas available which may be suitable dependent on the individuals personal circumstances.

UK Points-Based System

There are five tiers and further sub-tiers in the new points-based system.

Tier Categories / sub tiers
Global Talent visa

Formally Exceptional Talent

Leaders, potential leaders, fellowships and named researchers endorsed by recognised body.

Kent sponsorship not required.

Professors, Readers and Researchers.

Skilled Worker Visa

Formally Tier 2

Skilled workers with a job offer in UK

Minimum skill level, salary and English to an acceptable level.

Student visa

Formally Tier 4

For those who are 16 and over and have been offered a place on a course with a licenced sponsor.

Graduate visa

New route which opened on 1 July 2021 for international students who want to work following the successful completion of a course of study at degree level or above.

Temporary Workers

Formally Tier 5

Youth mobility and temporary workers (creative and sporting worker, charity worker, religious worker, government authorised exchange, international agreement worker and seasonal worker).

The Univeristy holds a licence to sponsor staff and students under the Skilled Worker, Student and Temporary Workers (GAE) routes.

Immigration - © University of Kent

The Registry, The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 824998

Last Updated: 11/04/2022

Banner Image: Anne Worner