Staff Immigration

Visitor visa overview

Types of visit visa/Leave to enter or remain

Types of activities:

The maximum length of stay that can be granted:

 Visit (standard)

  • Tourism & leisure
  • Volunteering
  • Business – general activities
  • Business – corporate
  • Business – specific sectors
  • Business – overseas roles
  • Work related training
  • Incidental study
  • Medical treatment


  • up to 6 months or
  • up to 11 months if coming to the UK for private medical treatment
  • up to 12 months if the visitor is an academic employed overseas and carrying out specific permitted activities

Marriage / civil partnership visit

Visit to marry or to form a civil partnership, or to give notice of this, in the UK


up to 6 months

Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE) visit

Specific  engagement activities such as an academic examining students


up to 1 month

Transit visit

Transit the UK


up to 48 hours


Immigration - © University of Kent

The Registry, The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 824998

Last Updated: 15/05/2015

Banner Image: Anne Worner