Staff Immigration

European Economic Area

Nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland are referred as EEA nationals. They can enter and work in the UK without any restrictions. You should not, however, employ an individual purely on the basis that they claim to be an EEA national.

We require all staff, including EEA nationals, to produce an accepted document showing their nationality. This will usually be either a national passport or national identity card. Some EEA nationals may also have been issued with a registration certificate. This is a document issued by the UKVI to confirm that they are living here lawfully, either by exercising their Treaty rights or residing as the family member of another EEA national. An EEA national can exercise a Treaty right as a worker, jobseeker, self-employed person, self-sufficient person, or as a student.

Some EEA nationals may also be able to produce a document certifying that they have a right of permanent residence in the UK. All of these documents are included in List A and will provide us with a statutory excuse if verified and copied before the person starts working for us.

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom


Immigration - © University of Kent

The Registry, The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 824998

Last Updated: 14/01/2019

Banner Image: Anne Worner