Staff Immigration

Evidencing your right to work in the UK

Before commencing employment with the University you will be asked to produce documentation which evidences your right to work in the UK. These documents must be presented before your first day of work and most likely you will be asked to provide your evidence when you attend an interview (if applicable).

It is essential you ensure the documents you hold can be accepted by the University of Kent. If you produce documentation which is not deemed to be acceptable by the Home Office, or does not permit you to work in the UK, employment will not be confirmed and you cannot commence work.

If you have an ongoing right to work in the UK, you most likely will hold a document from List A Such documents include a UK, EEA or Swiss passport. If you have limited leave in the UK, a document from List B would be acceptable.

Expired documentation

Documents held by UK, EEA or Swiss nationals may be expired.

Documents held by non EEA nationals must be current. This includes passports or Biometric Residence Permits showing the individual has indefinite leave to remain or settlement status in the UK. In May 2014 the Home Office reviewed the list of acceptable documentation. Endorsed expired passports were deemed to be unacceptable and employers can no longer accept two passports in order to conduct a right to work check. In these cases, you will be required to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (in country applications) or transfer your conditions to your new passport (out of UK applications). You can not commence employment until you have obtained current documentation.

Further information can be found on the Home Office website.

Returning to University employment

If you have previously worked for the University and there has been a break in your service, you will be asked to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK before commencing employment. The documents provided must be in line with current immigration rules. If you do not hold acceptable documentation employment cannot commence.

Immigration - © University of Kent

The Registry, The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 824998

Last Updated: 02/03/2016

Banner Image: Anne Worner