The University of Kent signed up to the Technician Commitment in September 2017, joining over 50% of other universities in the UK. The Technician Commitment is a sector wide, collaborative initiative led by the Science Council and supported by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation’s Technicians Make It Happen campaign, to ensure visibility, recognition, career development and sustainability for technicians working in higher education and research. Organisations are invited to pledge action against five key challenges affecting their technical staff;
- Visibility - Ensure that all technicians within the organisation are identifiable and that the contribution of technicians is visible within and beyond the institution
- Recognition - Support technicians to gain recognition through professional registration
- Career Development - Enable career progression opportunities for technicians through the provision of clear, documented career pathways
- Sustainability - Ensure the future sustainability of technical skills across the organisation and that technical expertise is fully utilised
- Evaluating Impact - Regularly assess the impact of actions taken in support of the commitment to ensure their effectiveness
For more information about the Technician Commitment at Kent, please contact Laura Pheils, Learning & Organisational Development Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01227 826598.
Keep your eye out for our bedtime story for managers, coming soon, which we were recording today with George Baker… https://t.co/DXGsmneLQLPosted about 20 hours ago