School of History


  • Student Support
  • Extensions
  • Concessions
  • Academic Advisers
  • ILPs
  • Intermission/Withdrawal
  • Key Contacts


Student Support Team

The Student Support Team in the School of History is here to provide you with support and advice throughout your academic career.

If you are a student in the School of History, with medical, personal or other significant problems which are detrimental to your academic work, you should contact our Student Support Team at the earliest opportunity for advice and guidance.

Our Student Support Team provides academic support and referral to pastoral support, for students in the School of History who are experiencing difficulties above and beyond the expected challenges of university life. If you have any questions relating to such difficulties, possible coursework extensions, concessions or require further support, please explore our Student Support website, or contact the team on

Student Support Officer:

Eloise Bates

Rutherford College, History Reception

+44 (0)1227 816485

Office Hours in Room N3.S3:
Tuesday and Thursday 10am-12pm (Term-Time Only)
Or by appointment



back to top



A student may apply for a coursework extension in circumstances where, due to ill health, bereavement or other significant personal factors, they know, in advance, that they will be unable to meet a deadline.
If this applies to you, you will need to contact our Student Support Team in order to request further time to complete your assignment.

Extension requests must be made in advance, via e-mail to, or in person to our Student Support Officer during her office hours (Tuesday and Thursday 10am-12pm). In order for an extension request to be approved, you will normally be expected to provide medical or other evidence to support your application. Please be aware that seminar leaders are unable to grant extensions, and extensions will not be granted for the following reasons:

Completing coursework too late and missing deadlines because of computer or transport difficulties
Losing work not backed up on computer disk
Failure to make alternative travel plans in the face of known disruptions
Normal employment commitments
General lack of organisation
If in doubt, please contact

Any extension requests made via e-mail must contain the following information in order to be considered:

Module Code

• Essay Description (eg: Essay 1, Assignment 1)

• Seminar Leader

• Original Deadline


Please be aware, that any extension requests received on the day of the deadline will not be granted and any requests made over the weekend will not be seen, or dealt with, until the next working day (i.e. Monday).



back to top



If you miss a deadline or fail to attend a formal assessment, you will automatically receive a mark of zero and will be marked as a non-submission on the Student Data System. You must inform us of any mitigating factors that may have prevented you from meeting your academic commitments. In order to do this, you will need to apply for a concession.

Concession applications can be submitted on the grounds of ill health, bereavement or other significant personal factors. The purpose of a concession is to provide you with the opportunity to explain why you were unable to submit an assignment or attend an assessment. All applications and evidence are considered anonymously by the School of History’s Concessions Committee.

In addition, if you managed to meet a deadline, but believe that your academic performance has been affected adversely by mitigating circumstances, you should contact the Student Support Team as soon as possible, as you may be eligible to submit a concession for impaired performance.

Please note, however, that the following circumstances are not considered valid for any concessionary purposes:

• computer and IT problems (including failure to back up, save in multiple locations or laptop crashes);
• employment commitments;
• failure to make alternative travel plans in the face of known disruption;
• failure to manage your time effectively;
• taking holidays during university term-time.

There are two types of Concessions in the School of History: one for short-term difficulties, another for students whose academic performance is impaired over a longer period of time.

Coursework Concessions Form (short-term)

- This form should be used by students experiencing short-term problems, such as late or non-submitted coursework and/or missed assessments.

- Coursework concessions should be submitted, via e-mail or in person, to the Student Support Officer, together with supporting evidence.

- Coursework concessions are reviewed each term by the School of History Concessions Committee and students will be notified via e-mail about the outcome of their application.


Board of Examiners Concessions Form (long-term)

- This form should be used in cases where a student is experiencing long-term/ongoing problems, which have had a significant impact on their academic progress. This form should also be used by students who miss a summer-term examination or suffer significant impairment during this time.

- Board of Examiners concessions should be submitted, via e-mail or in person, to the Student Support Officer, together with supporting evidence.

- Board of Examiners concessions are considered by the Concessions Committee in the Summer Term. Students will not be notified directly about the outcome of this concession, but rather, any action taken will be reflected in their end of year result.

- The deadline for students to submit a Board of Examiners Concession, including all supporting evidence, is 5 days after their final examination takes place




back to top


Academic Advisers

All undergraduate students in the School of History will be allocated an Academic Adviser when arriving to begin their programme of study. Academic Advisers are an important source of advice and guidance relating to academic work and development. You must meet with your Academic Adviser at least once every year, in order to review your academic progress and discuss your skillset.

If in doubt, the identity of your Academic Adviser can be found on SDS, under ‘Tutor’. Your Academic Adviser is also your seminar leader for your Stage 1 core module.

For more information on the Academic Adviser scheme, please visit:


back to top


Inclusive Learning Plans (ILPs)

The School of History is dedicated to providing inclusive learning and teaching to all of its students, striving to ensure that everyone, without exception, has the opportunity to demonstrate and fulfil their full potential.

School of History – Statement of Support for Disabled Students

• If you have a disability which requires adjustments to be made to your learning, you should contact Student Support and Wellbeing (SSW) as soon as possible.

• Once you have registered with the Student Support and Wellbeing service, and provided evidence, your Specialist Advisor will create an Inclusive Learning Plan (ILP) for you.

• Inclusive Learning Plans (ILPs) are created to suit the individual needs of the student, and provide reasonable adjustments to learning where required.

• For further information about registering with Student Support and Wellbeing and Inclusive Learning Plans, please visit:

Please contact the Student Support Officer if you have any questions or concerns about your ILP and the way in which adjustments are being implemented within the academic setting.

To discuss your ILP, please contact or drop by during the Student Support Officer’s Office Hours, Tuesday and Thursday, 10am – 12pm.



back to top


Intermission and Withdrawal


Intermission - Taking a break from your studies

It is important that you seek help if you are experiencing problems with your studies, and contact the Student Support Officer as soon as possible if you think you may require further support.

Intermission, or suspending your studies, is designed to allow students who are experiencing significant personal, medical or financial difficulties the opportunity to take some time out from their course. The purpose of intermission is to enable you to suspend your studies and return at a later date (not normally more than a year). If you find that, even with additional support, you are unable to continue with your studies, it may be appropriate for you to take a period of intermission.

• If you feel you have a genuine need to take a break from your studies, please get in touch with as soon as possible.


• Please note that if your intermission has not been formally approved by the School and the Faculty, your fees will not be adjusted, and you will be charged full fees for accommodation and tuition.

• The University does not encourage students to take longer than normal to complete their studies but is willing to discuss this with you when there is good reason to consider an intermission.

• Whatever is decided, you will need to speak to your funding body to ensure that any funding you receive is not affected by suspending your studies through an intermission.

• International students will need to check any implications on their visa status before considering a period of intermission.


Please be aware that intermissions will not be granted after the deadline for student examination registration (Week 15 of the academic year).

For further information about Intermission, please visit:


Withdrawal – Leaving the University of Kent


In very exceptional circumstances, you may find that you wish to withdraw from your degree programme and leave the University permanently. In such cases, please contact the Student Support Officer for advice on the withdrawal process. The Student Support Officer can also provide advice and guidance about the possible alternatives to withdrawing, such as intermission, changing to a part-time programme, or accessing additional support. Please be aware that:

• Leaving without telling anyone or, if you are in campus accommodation, just handing in a key, is not sufficient notification of a withdrawal.

• Failure to inform the University that you wish to leave may result in you being charged tuition and accommodation fees.

• If you are living in campus accommodation you will need to inform Kent Hospitality that you are leaving.

• Once withdrawals have been approved by the School and the Faculty, the Undergraduate Office will inform the Student Loans Company. However, it is strongly recommended that you contact them yourself to determine how withdrawing will affect your funding, and the tuition fees you have to pay.

For further information about Withdrawing, please visit:







back to top


Key Contacts

Within the School of History:

For enquiries relating to your History degree (module choices, timetables, academic related queries etc.)
For the use of submitting assignments when having difficulties with Moodle, or for any enquiries relating to assignment submissions.

Moodle Portal for Undergraduate Student

Moodle Portal for Postgraduate Student


University-wide support:

Support provided by the Student Support Team in History is predominantly academic and procedural. If you require pastoral, medical or other support, you may contact the Student Support Officer for referral for support from one, or more, of the following services, all of which can also be contacted directly:


Student Support and Wellbeing for counselling, disability and learning support and mental health services.
University Medical Centre
• Nursing Service
Kent Union (Kent Union offer a Buddy Scheme for new students)
Counselling Service
Student Social Support Network
Student Services





back to top









School of History, Rutherford College, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NX

T: +44 (0)1227 823710 or E:

Last Updated: 17/09/2018