Centre for the Study of War, Propaganda and Society
The Centre holds an Annual Lecture that is open to the public. Members of the Centre are convenors of the fortnightly War, Society and Culture Seminar at the Institute of Historical Research in London. The Centre also supports the Gateways to the First World War events.
- 2016 - China's Propaganda System: Legacies and Enduring Themes
- 2015 - From War to Postwar: Reflections on the End of the Second World War
- 2014 - Propaganda and the Shaping of the Twentieth Century. The publication of the conference proceedings is in preparation.
- 2012 - The Falklands Conflict 30 Years On
- 2011 - Guns and Identity. The proceedings of the conference were published by Ashgate in 2013 (A Cultural History of Firearms in the Age of Empire, ed. Karen Jones, Giacomo Macola and David Welch)
- 2008 - Justifying War. The proceedings of the conference were published by Palgrave Macmillan in 2012 (Justifying War: Propaganda, Politics and the Modern Age, ed. David Welch and Jo Fox)
- 2006 - The Somme: 90 Years On
- 2001 - War and the Media. The proceedings of the conference were published by I.B.Tauris in 2005 (War and the Media: Reportage and Propaganda, 1900-2003, ed. Mark Connelly and David Welch)
- 2015/16 – Professor Martina Kessel (Bielefeld University), ‘Performing Power: “Humour” in Nazi Germany’
- 2014/15 – Professor Munro Price (University of Bradford), ‘Napoleon and the Hundred Days’
- 2012/13 – Professor Jim McAdam (Queen’s University, Belfast), ‘The Impact of the Shackleton Report on the Development of the Falkland Islands’
- 2013/14 – Professor Jo Fox (Durham University), ‘Rumour in Britain and Europe during the Second World War’
- 2011/12 – Professor John Stevenson (LSE), ‘Germany's 1918 Defeat Reconsidered’
- 2010-11 – Professor John Gooch (University of Leeds), ‘Understanding War’