Estranged Student Funding

We are committed to offering support to more vulnerable students, such as students who are irreconcilably estranged from their parents, to help you through your journey at university.

We know that two key areas of concern for estranged students include the level of financial support available and the availability of out of term-time accommodation. The Kent Estranged Student Pack has been designed with these areas of concern in mind.

With the exception of the guaranteed access to accommodation, the Estranged Student Package is delivered in a student's first year only.

What does the Estranged Student Funding include?

  • Guaranteed access to accommodation for the duration of your course, including the summer vacation, subject to remaining in good financial standing with the University
  • A one-off, £600 cash bursary towards the costs of starting life at University
  • A one-off payment of £100 towards graduation costs for students who attend their graduation ceremony
  • We may be able to provide provision for travel in advance to attend University interviews. (This must be applied for at least one week in advance).

What is the eligibility criteria?

You may apply for the support package if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are a new, undergraduate student
  • You are a UK home fee paying student
  • You are under 25 years of age
  • You are an independent student who is irreconcilably estranged from their parents
  • You can provide written evidence that you are estranged from your parents

How do I apply?

To make an application you will need to complete the Estranged Student Application Form and forward it to the Financial Aid Office. Applications open from 10 August 2021 and must be received by 17 June 2022.

PLEASE NOTE: In view of the current Coronavirus situation all applications and queries should be made by email to

If you would like to apply for provision for travel to attend an interview please email your details to at least one week prior to your interview date.

What other funding can I apply for?

The Kent Young Independent Student Pack is available to students in addition to any other support they may receive from other sources.

Student loans

Full-time and part-time undergraduate students are able to apply to Student Finance England for a tuition fee loan to cover the costs of study and a maintenance loan for general living costs.

As an estranged student you are likely to be asked to provide written confirmation that you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents.  

Access to Learning Fund

This fund is available to students throughout their time of study, to provide additional support to help them remain in higher education. Learn more about the Access to Learning Fund.

Kent Financial Support Package

At Kent, we believe that all students who have the academic potential to benefit from our courses should have the opportunity to come to the University and we have established one of the most generous financial support schemes in the UK. Learn more about the Kent Financial Support Package.  

Last updated