This survey is anonymous and will help us understand the experience of our students and to help inform change.
It will run from 28 January until 30 April 2019. The survey takes about 10 minutes to complete. We recommend doing the survey as early as possible because Ipsos MORI, the independent research company who manage the survey, will continue to remind you until you complete it.
Am I eligible?
In most cases, final year undergraduates are eligible to take the National Student Survey. If you are eligible, you would have received an email from Ipsos MORI during the week commencing 28 January 2019.
About the NSS questions
The survey will ask you to rate the following questions on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being 'Definitely Agree'.
The teaching on my course
1. Staff are good at explaining things.
2. Staff have made the subject interesting.
3 .The course is intellectually stimulating.
4. My course has challenged me to achieve my best work.
5. My course has provided me with opportunities to explore ideas or concepts in depth.
6. My course has provided me with opportunities to bring information and ideas together from different topics.
7. My course has provided me with opportunities to apply what I have learnt.
Assessment and feebdack
8. The criteria used in marking have been clear in advance.
9. Marking and assessment has been fair.
10. Feedback on my work has been timely.
11. I have received helpful comments on my work.
12. I have been able to contact staff when I needed to.
13. I have received sufficient advice and guidance in relation to my course.
14. Good advice was available when I needed to make study choices on my course.
Organisation and management
15. The course is well organised and running smoothly.
16 The timetable works efficiently for me.
17. Any changes in the course or teaching have been communicated effectively.
18. The IT resources and facilities provided have supported my learning well.
19. The library resources (e.g. books, online services and learning spaces) have supported my learning well.
20. I have been able to access course-specific resources (e.g. equipment, facilities, software, collections) when I needed to.
21. I feel part of a community of staff and students.
22. I have had the right opportunities to work with other students as part of my course.
23. I have had the right opportunities to provide feedback on my course.
24. Staff value students’ views and opinions about the course.
25. It is clear how students’ feedback on the course has been acted on.
26. The students’ union (association or guild) effectively represents students’ academic interests.
27. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the course.
28. Looking back on the experience, are there any particularly positive or negative aspects you would like to highlight?
Students' Union (association or guild)
29. The Students’ Union (Association or Guild) has had a positive impact on my sense of belonging to the university or college.
30. The Students’ Union (Association or Guild) has had a positive impact on the local community.
31. The Students’ Union (Association or Guild) has helped me develop useful life skills.