Student Support and Wellbeing Visual Guide: Where to Get Support

This is one of several visual guides designed to help students and others understand some of the main processes of accessing support outside of Student Support and Wellbeing at the University of Kent.

On the day Urgent Mental Health support is for students who are experiencing overwhelming emotional distress and who feel unable to wait for a booked appointment with a wellbeing advisor or counsellor. When requesting this service from Student Support and Wellbeing, you will be sent a very brief online form to complete to help us allocate an appropriate mental health team member who will try to reach you that day.

As well as mental health advice from Student Support and Wellbeing’s mental health team, there are many other services dedicated to supporting students in different aspects of their university life. 

Where else can I get support infographic, alt text is below.

Where else can I get support?

Text version of the 'Where else can I get support?' image above.

  1. Feeling lonely or disengaged from others at University?  Check out the What’s On calendar for activities in person and online.
  2. Academic work concerns? Talk to your Academic School for support.
  3. Need support in your studying skills? Book an appointment with an adviser in SLAS.
  4. Do you have issues with your accommodation to resolve? The Accommodation office can help.
  5. Having disputes with your flat mates? Book an appointment with the College and Community Life team.
  6. Need healthcare services local to your campus? Check out the Visual Guide on Finding Health Support and Emergency Services.
  7. In need of wellbeing or peer group support? Check out the Student Support and Wellbeing calendar for events and groups you can participate in.
  8. Want to engage more with the community on and off campus? Take a look at the College and Community Life calendar for day trips, events and competitions.
  9. Do you have financial worries? Talk to the Advice Centre at Kent Union or The Hub at Medway for support.
  10. Concerned about future employment/ finding part time work? Book an appointment with the Careers and Employability Service.
  11. Concerned about your sexual health or minor physical injuries? Canterbury and Medway students can call Nursing Services on central campus for help and advice.
  12. Looking for groups of faith, spiritual or religious communities? The Chaplaincy team can help find groups and services at the University or in the local area.

Out of Hours Support

Spectrum Life

Spectrum will work with you in getting initial support and help during your crisis and the University Student Support and Wellbeing teams will contact you on the next working day

  • Spectrum Life is available on Monday to Friday evenings from 8pm till 8am, and on weekends and Bank Holidays.
  • Telephone: 0800 0318227 and press option 1, or Text ‘Hi’ to: 00353 87 369 0010
  • Search for the Spectrum Life app from your app store and follow the log in instructions

24/ 7 Emergency Support providers

  • For mental health support, including in a crisis, you can contact the UK numbers below to reach Single Point of Access, an NHS service run by trained professionals: 24/7 Contact Centre – 0800 783 9111
  • For 24/7 free online support from peers and trained professionals, all Kent students can access Togetherall.
  • If you would prefer to receive support via text message, Shout is a free, confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope, simply text 85258.

Canterbury Campus Nursing Services

Nursing Services is located in the Banking Hall (Next to Security, CT2 7NQ) and is available to students for support, advice, treatment of minor illnesses and injury, and contraceptive advice.

University Medical Centre

The University Medical Centre is an NHS general practice based on the University of Kent Canterbury campus, Giles Lane, Canterbury


  • National telephone: 116 123 (this number is free to call)
  • Email Samaritans: (UK and ROI)
Last updated