Visual Guide: Specific Learning Difficulty Support

This is one of several visual guides designed to help students and others understand some of the main processes of accessing support through Student Support and Wellbeing at the University of Kent.
Flowchart for 'How do I get support for a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia?'

How do I get support for a Specific Learning Difficulty such as dyslexia?

1) Register with Student Support and Wellbeing

  • Provide previous evidence


  • Screening interview for SpLD


  • Supply Student Finance Evidence or pay contribution

2) SpLD Assessment

3) Receive report and make an appointment to see your SpLD adviser to discuss your Inclusive Learning Plan (ILP)

4) Apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). Download form:

5) Receive letter from SFE confirming that you can book a Study Needs Assessment  

6) Attend Study Needs Assessment. Your report goes to you, Student Support and Wellbeing and SFE

  • See your SpLD adviser to discuss your Study Needs Assessment report


  • If the university is nominated to supply specialist 1:1 support (study skills), you will be contacted by Tutor timetabling to arrange your tuition

7) Receive DSA Entitlement letter from SFE confirming funding and phone numbers for equipment and training

8) Phone/email supplier to order your equipment and arrange delivery

Last updated