Student Support and Wellbeing are here to offer you support during your time at Kent.
If you have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD), or feel that you experience difficulties, register with Student Support and Wellbeing and make an appointment with your SpLD Adviser (see the SpLD advisers).
Please view this visual guide on How to get Specific Learning Difficulty Support.
What help can I get for Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs)?
- Support from your SpLD Adviser throughout your course
- An Inclusive Learning Plan (ILP) to set out reasonable adjustments to courses and assessments
- Access to assistive software on campus (Access to specialist software is not limited to campus use.)
- Study Skills support
- Support applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance
Meeting with a study skills tutor once a week helps me work out what I need to do and when I need to do it
SpLD evidence, screenings and assessments
We recognise that many students may have been told that they have a specific learning difficulty and had exam arrangements at school or college but have never had a full assessment. In order to access support and exam arrangements at University we can arrange for registered students to have diagnostic assessments.
To access support for SpLDs (Specific Learning Difficulties) at the University of Kent, you will need to provide evidence of diagnosis.
Evidence can include:
- A full diagnostic report by a Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered psychologist.
- A full diagnostic report by a Specific Learning Difficulties Assessment Standards Committee (SASC) registered specialist teacher assessor.
- Medical evidence from a specialist practitioner (for ADHD).
- Prospective students may wish to arrange their own full SpLD diagnostic assessment before starting university.
- Local specialist teacher assessors with assessment practicing certificates can be found through the Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties (PATOSS).
- If you have any questions about this, please contact us.