Sexual respect

Everyone who is part of our community has the right to feel respected and safe. We are committed to preventing sexual violence, which can happen in a domestic setting or relationship.

Rape and sexual assault

We take sexual assault and rape extremely seriously. 

Are you safe?

If you are in danger or need of urgent medical care or attention, please call 999 immediately and ask for an ambulance/police.

If you (or someone you know) has been (or thinks) they have been sexually assaulted or raped, see our guidance and support. This dedicated page also helps you to make informed decisions about next steps including:

  • University support available during office hours
  • University out of hours support
  • Medical support
  • Online reporting
  • Deciding what to do next
  • Self-referral to a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
  • Reporting to the police
  • Time frames
  • Confidentiality
  • External support

If the incident has just happened, it is important that you try to get yourself to a safe place and keep warm as you may be in shock.

More on guidance and support available

Inform Kent (inK) reporting tool

Use the online reporting tool to access support for sexual assault, sexual harassment, relationship abuse, harassment, bullying and hate incident. Have your voice heard. Inform Kent (inK).

Inform Kent logo

You are able to record an incident anonymously via inK; making an anonymous report informs the University that something has happened. This will not instigate any part of a formal process or complaint. If you chose to be named in the report the Wellbeing Adviser (Sexual Assault/Harassment) will contact you to discuss your options for reporting formally. 

More on Inform Kent (InK)

The University is working with Kent Union to provide information on sexual consent and tackle misunderstandings.

We recommend watching the ‘Tea Consent’ video which uses a ‘cup of tea’ analogy to explain what sexual consent looks like. 

Text saying "Consent. It's simple as tea."
Copyright ©2015 Emmeline May and Blue Seat Studios.

What is U.N.I. (You and I) protect?

See something? Say something. Do something! You can make a difference!

The University and Students’ Union developed the U.N.I (You and I) Protect training programme to equip you with the skills to recognise and safely challenge harmful behaviour, including sexual harassment or abuse.

More on U.N.I protect training programme
U,N.I (Youand I) Protect logo with univresity, Kent Union and Exepct Respect logos

What does the U.N.I Protect programme do?

The U.N.I (You and I) Protect programme:

  • helps you to recognise and challenge any problematic and harmful behaviour such as sexual harassment or abuse;
  • equips students with the skills to be 'active bystanders' so that they can intervene safely and with confidence;
  • promotes a culture of dignity and respect across the University;
  • ensures that students are aware of the help and support available, both from the University and from external organisations, should they (or someone they know) need it.

We can all take action to protect each other and the wider University community

If you have any questions or queries, please email

Sign up for free U.N.I Protect training programme

Expect Respect @ Kent e-learning module

You can also complete our ‘Expect Respect @ Kent’ e-learning module on Moodle. This will make sure you’re fully informed when it comes to treating everyone with dignity and respect. These skills will not only help you at University but throughout life and in the workplace.

Take the e-learning module now

Domestic violence support

University may be a time for many firsts. This could be your first time living away from home, meeting new people and maybe starting your first relationship.

We want you to be informed when it comes to what a healthy relationship looks like, and if you are or think you might be in an abusive relationship, where you can go for support.

If you think you’re (or someone you know is) in an abusive relationship, you can go to a drop-in session with an adviser from Rising Sun Domestic Violence and Abuse Service

If you think you’re (or someone you know is) in an abusive relationship, you can get support from Rising Sun Domestic Violence & Abuse Service. Alternatively contact Student Support and Wellbeing who can put you in touch with the Specialist Wellbeing Adviser who can help you make contact with external support.

Contact Student Support and Wellbeing

Contraception and sexual health

The University Medical Centre and Nursing Service provide a full range of contraceptive and sexual health services including STI screening and contraception.

More on services available

Getting help

There are plenty of ways to get help. If you have been a victim of, or are concerned about, sexual and/or domestic abuse, the following contacts can provide help, support, information and advice. 

External support

You can also get direct support from many other organisations. You can find specific support for men, members of LGBTQ+ community and for people with a disability. 

More about external support
Last updated