What is independent learning?
graduates are expected to be independent learners – to demonstrate initiative
and the ability to manage themselves and their work. They should not require
continuous instruction during their studies, or expect all knowledge to be
given to them, or need their work to be constantly monitored. Independent
learning – which is also known as ‘self-directed learning’ or ‘autonomous
learning’ - is key to employability, postgraduate study and life-long learning.
What does it mean to learn at university?
A university education is not necessarily about receiving and memorising ‘facts’ in order to provide ‘correct’ answers in assignments. Instead, a university education is more about developing an understanding of your subject, and recognising the complexity of ideas and range of conflicting opinions that exist within it. To achieve this, students need to explore new ideas and approaches on their own.
As only about 20% of course study is ‘contact time’ spent in classes, seminars or tutorials, you should use the remaining 80% to develop your studies independently through reading, class preparation, organising notes, writing assignments and following up on tuition. Good time management and planning are, therefore, key to being an independent learner. As a student, this means learning how to:
- set your own goals
- identify your own resources
- take responsibility for attending all aspects of your studies and catching-up
- monitor and manage your time and progress honestly and effectively
- produce assignments that meet the assessment criteria on time
These skills will help you become an independent learner:
- organisational skills including prioritisation and time management
- efficient and effective reading and note-taking
- reflection and personal development planning
Exploring ideas and making decisions alone can feel a little uncomfortable at first. Reasons for this include:
- worrying about ‘getting things wrong’ e.g. misunderstanding instructions.
- anxiety about missing something important in the background reading.
- difficulty understanding or navigating lots of information.
- feeling overwhelmed by new information and practices.
However, it is important to persevere, and exercise initiative:
- ask specific questions to clarify instructions or assessment criteria.
- allow plenty of time for reading, looking up key terms and digesting information and ideas.
- develop a system for organising information.
- develop a time management system for managing work e.g. dividing assignments into small tasks and setting daily targets to complete them.
- self-monitor e.g. listen to feedback, learn from mistakes and adjust your approaches so that they are not repeated.
- develop your study skills by reading guides such as this, or booking workshops or tuition with the Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS).
Recording & reflecting on your development
At Kent, you can keep track of your personal development by using MyFolio (https://myfolio.kent.ac.uk/myfolio/) - an online portfolio which enables you to record all the things that you do at university. It contains many features, such as:
- Blogging tools which you can use to reflect on your skills development.
- Planning facilities so that you can plan how to develop your skills further.
- CV features.
- Uploading capacity for files, photos and videos of all the things that you have achieved at university.
No one is expected to become an ‘independent learner’ overnight, so most programmes allow students to develop the learning skills they need gradually. However, to do so successfully you will need to engage fully in the process and seek guidance as necessary from your tutor, departmental Student Support Officer, or Student Learning Advisory Service.