The Graduate School and Kent Innovation and Enterprise (KIE) are pleased to announce the relaunch of the Professional Opportunities for Postgraduates (POP) placement scheme.
POP is a short-term paid placement scheme supported by Industrial Strategy funding and funding from the placement provider on a 50/50 basis. If you are a company/organisation who would like to provide a placement, you would need to complete the Placement Provider Application form. You can also discuss a proposal with a member of the Kent Innovation and Enterprise team: email@example.com or telephone 01227 827376. If you are a student who would like to propose your own placement with support of a company/organisation, please complete the Student Placement Proposal Application Form or contact the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the benefits of participating in POP?
Benefits for postgraduate researchers
The scheme will enable our postgraduate researchers to:
- Undertake a full or part time opportunity working with a business or organisation
- Bring their expertise to a discrete project or problem
- Extend their skills, knowledge and experience in a commercial environment
- Take part in a programme supporting knowledge transfer and University-business engagement
The scheme will also provide an excellent opportunity for academic schools to deepen their relationships with external companies and organisations.
Benefits for companies and organisations
The scheme will enable companies and organisations to:
- Access a service facilitating knowledge transfer and business growth
- Engage a postgraduate for a short-term project or activity
- Benefit from specialist expertise and skills in a particular area or discipline
- Tailor the placement to suit business need
- A 50/50 funding split between the company/organisation and the University of Kent
Application Process for Placement Providers
Businesses or organisations interested in finding out more about the scheme should contact Kent Innovation and Enterprise: email@example.com or telephone: 01227 827376
Companies/organisations interested in finding out more about the scheme please contact Kent Innovation and Enterprise at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01227 827376.
Current Placement Vacancies
- POP placements are on offer to postgraduate researchers.
- Research students who are funded by a Research Council are not eligible to apply. Please contact the Graduate School for other opportunities.
- Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTA) may only apply for a POP placement which falls outside of their teaching commitments. A GTA can only undertake a part-time placement due to the Terms and Conditions of their scholarship.
- Students on a Tier 4 Visa are only eligible to work 17.5 hours a week in line with UKVI regulations and the POP contract.
The aim of the Industrial Strategy is to boost productively by backing businesses to create good jobs and increase the earning power of people in the UK.
The five foundations highlighted in the Industrial Strategy align with the vision for a transformed economy. Through this vision and the five foundations of productivity, there are four Grand Challenges that have been set. These challenges are the focus of POP placements, and more detail on these areas can be found in the Placement Provider Application Form.