The Graduate School and Kent Innovation and Enterprise are collaborating to launch a placement scheme providing professional opportunities for postgraduate researchers in the 2017/18 academic year.
POP is a short-term paid placement scheme supported by Industrial Strategy funding and funding from the company or organisation on a 50/50 basis. The stipend for postgraduates undertaking the professional opportunities will be based on the annual Research Council rate of ≈£1,212.00 per month.
What is the Industrial Strategy?
With help from the UK’s Industrial Strategy funding, postgraduate researchers will have the opportunity to extend their skills, knowledge and experience in a commercial environment whist contributing to the UK’s long term plan to boost the productivity and earning power of people throughout the UK. If you would like an opportunity of a short term placement relating to one or more of the Industrial Strategy visions then this may be scheme for you:
- Clean energy technologies including batteries
- Robotics and artificial intelligence
- Digital enabling technology in health
- Transformative digital technologies including, for example, internet of things, supercomputing and 5G mobile network technology
- Manufacturing and materials for the future
- Integrated and sustainable cities
- Technologies for the creative industries
Application Process - now closed
Businesses or organisations interested in finding out more about the scheme should contact Kent Innovation and Enterprise: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 01227 827376
What are the benefits of participating in POP?
Benefits for postgraduate researchers
The scheme will enable our postgraduate researchers to:
- Undertake a full or part time opportunity working with a business or organisation
- Bring their expertise to a discrete project or problem
- Extend their skills, knowledge and experience in a commercial environment
- Take part in a programme supporting knowledge transfer and University-business engagement
The scheme will also provide an excellent opportunity for academic schools to deepen their relationships with external companies and organisations.
Benefits for companies and organisations
The scheme will enable companies and organisations to:
- Access a service facilitating knowledge transfer and business growth
- Engage a postgraduate for a short-term project or activity
- Benefit from specialist expertise and skills in a particular area or discipline
- Tailor the placement to suit business need