To put in place and operate systems and procedures which safeguard the assets of the University and which process transactions effectively and cost-efficiently.
These will include:
- Processing of financial transactions
- Recording of financial transactions
- Maintenance of internal control procedures such as Financial Regulations, checking routines
across the following functions:
- Payment of supplier invoices (including staff and student claims)
- Payments to staff in respect of payroll and pensions
- Collection of income from all relevant sources
- VAT/Tax compliance
- Insurance claims and cover
- Financial administration of Research Grants and Contracts
- Accounting for other sponsored projects
For all University sites, primarily across the Canterbury campus but also the Medway Campus, Tonbridge Centre and Brussels School of International Studies.
To support members of the University in planning, controlling and monitoring their financial performance targets and to provide practical help in achieving the University's strategic plan.
This will involve:
- The setting of financial performance targets for departments and the University as a whole (budgets, ad hoc benchmarking)
- Support for business planning routines - assistance in preparing, and later collation and review of short, medium and long term forecasts of financial performance
- Measurement of financial performance against targets set through the provision of timely, accurate and useful management information to budget controllers, senior management and Council (Finance and Resources Committee)
- Liaison with Heads of Departments and others to ensure continuing feedback on financial matters
- Provide information to support management decision-making
Within timescales agreed by senior management and Council.
- To ensure that external financial reporting and other regulations are met.
- Compliance with statutory and other regulatory financial regulations and reporting requirements e.g. HM Revenue and Customs, Financial Memorandum, Loan Covenants, preparation of statutory accounts.