Student Finance Guide

How To Pay Tuition Fees

Under the University regulations, all tuition fees are due in full at the start of each academic year or at the start of your course, whichever is the later.

The method of payment is dependent on who is responsible for your tuition fees.

Students Funded by The Student Loans Company (SLC)

Undergraduate Students

If you are an undergraduate student and your fees are being paid for by a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) from the Student Loans Company (SLC), you do not need to arrange payment. Your TFL will get paid directly to the University from SLC, in termly instalments. The University will receive 25% in the first term, 25% in the second term, and 50% in the third term. The exact payment dates will be on your 'University or College Payment Advice' letter from SLC. Please keep this letter to hand in case we need to see it.

If you would like to apply for a TFL from SLC, but have not yet done so, please visit the GOV.UK pages for further information.

Postgraduate Students

If you have applied for a Postgraduate Loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC) payment will be made directly to the bank account you have provided to them. If you intend to use this to pay your tuition fees, you will be expected to pay in 3 equal instalments on dates that are in line with your loan disbursement dates.

A payment plan should be set up via our online web payment system, select Postgraduate with SLC Loan from the drop down. When required you will need to select the “instalments” option. Enter the total tuition fee you are liable to pay and the card details you would like the payments to come from. Please note that online instalment plans will need to be renewed and set up at the start of each new academic year if your course is more than one year duration.

For information on Postgraduate Loans from SLC please go to the following link,

Sponsored Students

If your fees are being paid by a sponsor (a private company or other organisation, not parents/relatives or Student Finance England), please provide us with an original letter from your sponsor / company on headed paper.

The Sponsor Letter should include:

  • The student’s full name & date of birth
  • The student’s Kent ID number
  • How much the sponsor is funding them by
  • Disclaimer Form (filled out & signed by the student)


Please email the letter & disclaimer form through to the Income Office as soon as possible.

Students sponsored by Embassies or governmental departments will be required to supply the original documentation once on campus to the Income Office.


Privately Funded Students

Option 1: You can pay the full tuition fee invoice by registration in September.

Option 2: Pay in two 50% instalments:

  • 1st due by registration in September
  • 2nd on or before 1 December (that academic year)



Contact Details:

Contact Details
UG Years 0 & 1:
UG Year 2:
UG Year 3+:

Tel: +44 (0)1227 824242


Finance Department, The Registry, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ

Fax: +44(0)1227 827024 or Contact us - Students | Staff | External

Last Updated: 03/07/2020