The UK's European university

Current EU students

Information accurate as of 25 April 2019 - we will update this page as further information becomes available

How will Brexit affect my status as a non-UK/ EEA (and Swiss citizens) student?

As a current student you will be able to live and study in the UK after the UK leaves the EU. The EU Settlement Scheme is now officially open and students are eligible to apply. This means that the rights you currently have are protected – so you can continue to live your lives as you do now. If you have been a resident for less than five years, you are eligible to apply for pre-settled status, and then you will be able to apply for settled status once you reach the five-year point. Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is completely free, and the Home Office’s aim is to make it as simple and straightforward as possible. All you need to do is complete a three-step application with a laptop, tablet or mobile device to prove your identity, confirm you live in the UK and declare any criminal convictions.

The guide to completing your application is available in 26 different languages.

Will my fees change as a result of Brexit?

The UK government have confirmed that EU students starting University in England in 2019/2020 will still be eligible for home student fees and financial support for the duration of their course, provided they meet the residency requirement. EU nationals who start a higher education course in England in the 2020/21 academic year will remain eligible for undergraduate and postgraduate financial support, Advanced Learner loans as well as FE and apprenticeships support, whether a deal for leaving the EU is in place or not.

Will I be able to stay in the UK after my degree?

The EU settlement scheme allows you to apply for either ‘pre-settled status’ or ‘settled status’ in order to remain in the UK. The deadline for applying to the Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal the deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020. You will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU in order to apply.

Obtaining pre-settled status will allow you to stay in the UK for five years and then apply for ‘settled status’. Once you have settled status, you’ll be able to remain in the UK indefinitely. If you have already been in the country for five years you can apply for settled status straight away. Once you are in the UK, you can apply for pre-settled/settled status.

There is expected to be a new immigration system from 1 January 2021. Anyone intending to come to the UK from January 2021 will need to apply under the relevant category of the immigration Rules in place at that time.

Can I still apply for research council funding for my PhD?

Yes, currently EU students remain eligible to apply for UKRI-funded PhD scholarships starting in the academic year 2019/20 and UK universities are seeking confirmation that this will be the case under any Brexit scenario. For more information about PhD scholarships, please visit

For further information see:

UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

Brexit FAQs for EU Students - Universities UK

Kent Union: Brexit - What does it mean for EU students?


Back to Kent and Brexit homepage >

International Development Office

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 01/11/2019