Design & Print Centre faq Banner

Artwork, printing and binding


What are the common paper sizes?

The A paper size system was formally adopted in Europe in the 19th century and has since spread around the world. It is now used in nearly every country apart from the USA and Canada. A4 is the most common standard business letter size used in English speaking countries.

Paper size (Width x Height (mm)

  • A0 = 841mm X 1189mm
  • A1 = 594mm X 841mm
  • A2 = 420mm X 594mm
  • A3 = 297mm X 420mm
  • A4 = 210mm X 297mm
  • A5 = 148.5mm X 210mm
  • A6 = 105mm X 148.5mm


Download our guide to paper sizes

How do I set up my artwork correctly to include bleed or to make sure I have the correct margins?

Download our guide for setting up artwork and exporting PDFs

Download templates

  • Word (Posters, leaflets, business card, pop-up banner)
  • PowerPoint (Posters, leaflets, business card, pop-up banner)
  • InDesign (Posters, leaflets, business card, pop-up banner)
  • Photoshop (Poster)

What file format do you require to produce my order?

Thesis/dissertations, posters, booklet, fliers, pop-up banners etc…
We require all files to be submitted in PDF format. We will print your PDF as it is supplied, we are unable to amend or tweak.

Merchandise, hoodies, t-shirts etc
If you are sending in a file containing a logo or design to be printed on merchandise, it can be sent in as either PDF or Picture file format (ie – jpeg, PSD, tiff). If you are sending text which you would like to be printed on merchandise, we require this as a Microsoft Word file.

We also have an order form with layout options for you to select but, if you want something more specific, we would suggest you come into the Design and Print Centre to discuss it with one of the print team.

Can you bind my thesis/dissertation?

We can print and bind your thesis or dissertation or just bind your work if you have already printed it. We offer the option of soft-binding your work (with a thermal or wiro finish) or we can case bind (hard bind) it in a choice of colours (navy blue, black, or burgundy).

Please refer to Thesis, essay printing and binding or contact us at for further details about our printing/binding service and how much it costs. 

Do you offer a laminating service?

We can laminate or encapsulate your documents. Please contact us at for more information about which particular service you require and how much it costs.

Do you print ID badges?

If you are a student and require a replacement KentOne ID card, you will need to visit the KentOne Reception which is located in the Registry. If you are an external customer, we can supply and print name badges for use with lanyards. Please contact us at for more information.

What is the minimum order for business cards and what size are they?

Usually, the minimum order is 100, although we can print as many as you require. They can also be printed either single or double-sided. We print on the standard business card size which is 85mm x 55mm. We recommend 300gsm uncoated card for business card stock, as it is our most popular.

Do I have to send the file again if I want it to be re-printed?

Unfortunately, due to the Data Protection Act 2018 we are unable to store your file. If you do require more printed copies, we will ask you to re-send your file.

Can I return my hoodie or t-shirt?

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you will be able to return your item within 30 days if it is faulty. Unfortunately, we cannot give a refund if you decide you no longer want the item or have purchased the wrong size. We have samples in our shop if you are unsure of what size to order.

Is your printing environmentally friendly?

Yes. We use paper from sustainable sources. We also recycle all of our waste paper and by-products.



Payment, collection and delivery


How do I pay for my order?

If you are a student or an external customer payment is to be made at the point of order and can be done either in the Design and Print Centre shop via cash or card or if you are ordering by email, payment can be made through the online store. A payment link will be sent to you for you to do this.

If you are a member of staff ordering work for your School/Department Please provide a cost code (approved by the School Administrator) and an Order number (if your School uses them).

I want to come and collect my order, what time is the shop open?

Monday to Friday 9am – 4.00pm

Closed weekends, bank holidays and winter vacation.


I’m an international student and I have a hand-in coming up. How do I go about getting my thesis printed and delivered?

If you are a student who doesn’t live near campus or are an international student, you can place your order via email. A payment link will be sent at the point of order. Once payment has been received, we will print and bind your order and deliver free of charge on campus.


I’m a lecturer on campus and need a lot of printing done for one of my classes. Is there an option for this to be delivered to me?

Yes, Schools who place orders with us can have their printing delivered free of charge to anywhere on campus.


I am a member of staff who works at the Medway campus. How do I go about getting printing delivered?

We deliver to both Medway campuses free of charge. Our van delivers to Medway every weekday morning.


I don’t live near campus and I would like copies of my thesis/dissertation printed and bound. Do you deliver to places off-campus?

Yes, we can send it to you through the post via our post room. Payment for your printing will be taken at point of order and, once completed, we will take it to be weighed. A price for delivery, whether it’s in the UK or abroad, will be sent to you along with a payment link for you to make payment. We will send you prices for First Class, Second Class, Signed, etc delivery, so you can choose your option. Once payment has been received, we will post your order.

This also applies to:

  • Branded items (Hoodies, mugs etc)
  • Members of the public who would like to use our services



Design, University marketing collateral


I am a member of staff and need advice/help, who do I contact?

Contact for help and direction.


I am a member of staff where can I download the University’s logo?

The logo along with the University’s Brand Guides can be downloaded here.



Contact us

T: 01227 827704

Please feel free to visit Kent Design & Print shop which is situated on the Canterbury campus next to the Estates Department

Open Monday to Friday 9am – 4.30pm
(During COVID restrictions, the shop will close at 4.00pm)
Closed weekends, bank holidays and winter vacation

Design & Print Centre, Park Wood Road, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NN

Design & print Twitter logo Design & print Instergram logo UniKentPrint

The Estates Department- © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NN, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 30/09/2020