Santander Universities Internship Programme
Attract new talent and skills into your business with the Santander Internship Programme
- The programme is a partnership between Santander Universities and the University of Kent which can enable you to employ fresh talent and a highly-skilled workforce. The programme is aimed at Small and Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) who can provide paid internships to all current students and recent graduates from the University of Kent.
- Internship length can be between 1-10 weeks
- Placements up to 2 weeks can be fully funded at a rate of £300 per week.
- Placements between 3-10 weeks will be funded by Santander at a rate of £150 per week to a maximum of £1,500 per placement, this will then need to be match funded by you, the SME or another source to a minimum of £150 per week providing a wage of £300 per week to the student/graduate. For clarity these positions are NOT fully funded by Santander:
|Internship Length||Santander Funding||SME Contribution|
- All placements are based on a standard 35 hour week. Part-time roles are acceptable on a pro-rata basis of £150 per week.
- Part-time placements below 70 hours can be fully funded to a maximum of £600. Placements over 70 hours will be matched funded as above. Maximum of 5 placements per scheme year for SME’s with different students/alumni Wage is equivalent to £8.57 per hour which exceeds the UK living wage (£8.25 per hour), all companies wishing to adhere to London living wage will need to increase their contribution to cover this.
Recruit in 5 easy steps
- Send the details of your internship opportunity to email@example.com, we will check that you qualify for the programme.
- We will advertise and promote your internship to Kent students and graduates via our Careers and Employability website, for up to 8 weeks. If unfilled, the University of Kent reserves the right to reallocate the funding to other SMEs
- You will take control of the shortlisting process by recruiting your intern according to your criteria.
- To be eligible for the Kent programme, a Kent intern* must be selected. Please confirm your selection by emailing us their details.
- We will register your company details on the Santander portal and organise for you to receive your funding.
*Eligible for current students or within two years of graduation.
Information for students
If you are a student interested in the internship opportunities further information is available here.
*-Subject to the numbers of internships available to the University of Kent within the scheme
**-If a graduate from another University is recruited, please check that the University is a Santander Universities partner.
'The Santander Internship Programme offered us a fantastic opportunity to provide a 3 month internship place within our company providing funding towards wages during that period. Working together with the University of Kent, we interviewed and recruited a qualified and experienced intern who has since become a full time member of staff. Having an intern straight from the University brought in new ideas and added enthusiasm to our team which has added value to our business. I would recommend this scheme to anyone thinking of recruiting an intern into their business.'
~ Heather Nowak, Director, Nova IT Solutions Ltd