Why choose English at Kent?
Here's what our students say about English at Kent
- We rank consistently well in national league tables. The Guardian University Guide 2015 placed us 13th in the UK for English out of 105 institutions.
- Our students find jobs. 91% of Kent English students that graduated in 2013 found employment or went onto further study within 6 months of graduating. Our degree provides students with a range of highly developed transferrable skills which enables our students to go into a variety of careers.
- Our students are happy with their degrees. We achieved a rating of 94% for overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2014, placing us 17th overall.
- Our students exceed our expectations. English has a value-added score of 8 out of 10 in the Guardian University Guide 2015 for students improving upon their entry qualifications. The department has also awarded a record number of first-class degrees this year, with 89% graduating with a 1st or 2:1.
- Excellent international opportunities to study abroad. All students can choose to spend a year studying abroad at outstanding institutions across Europe, America, Canada and Hong Kong.
- Our curriculum is broad. We offer courses ranging from Chaucer to David Mitchell (Mitchell also did his English degree with us, Chaucer did not)
- You can tailor your degree to suit your interests because of the research strengths of our staff. In the last year we have increased the number of permanent academic staff in order to provide even more variety and expert teaching.
- One-to-one essay feedback. We pride ourselves on giving one-to-one feedback on coursework essays submitted during term-time. Each student is also allocated a personal academic advisor: a member of academic staff within the department.
- Our department’s creative work is internationally recognised. The writers within the department have been nominated for the Booker Prize and The Orange Prize. We also have a John Llewellyn Rhys prize-winner and a Time Out ‘Book of the Year’ writer.
- English at Kent provides a supportive and high quality student experience. Our excellent student support and academic advisor systems ensure that our students are able to perform to the best of their abilities.
- The University of Kent offers a generous undergraduate Scholarship for Academic Excellence to students that achieve AAA over three A levels (or the equivalent specified qualifications)
- Our students write for the University newspaper, for the Creative Writing Society, for the English Society and for any number of the competitions run annually on the campus or locally.
- We are located in a beautiful and self-contained campus which overlooks the city of Canterbury with excellent transport links to London and mainland Europe and a variety of bars, shops and even a nightclub.