Turnitin is the originality checking software supplied under license from Turnitin UK [external].
We update information on known issues with Turnitin regularly.
- Submitted work is matched against a database of previously submitted work from every institution which subscribes to Turnitin, (including international institutions); current and archived internet pages and databases of books, journals and periodicals.
- Turnitin does not detect plagiarism: it is text-matching software which provides an "originality report" on what proportion of a student's submission is original (not matched to other sources) or unoriginal.
- Turnitin also offers an online marking tool - GradeMark, allowing teachers to add text-based comments and marks to assignments submitted to Turnitin.
For more information about academic integrity and plagiarism please visit the Academic Integrity website.
Information for Staff
If you intend to use Turnitin, you need to consider:
- School guidelines and procedures for online submission.
- Archiving of work stored electronically.
- University Guidelines on using Turnitin.
- Adequately preparing your students for Turnitin.
If you are using Turnitin as part of School policy, some of the advanced options may be defined by the policy. Check with your School Administrator for details.
Accessing the Turnitin Service
Turnitin can be accessed from a Moodle module via any web browser at https://moodle.kent.ac.uk. All SDS-registered modules are automatically created in Moodle and populated with students and timetabled teaching staff. If you need help using Moodle please contact your Faculty Learning Technologist.
- Turnitin Essentials [PDF]
- Using anonymous marking [web page]
- Adding comments and marks using Feedback Studio (new interface for 16/17) [PDF]
- Adding comments and marks using GradeMark (old interface) [PDF]
- Creating and using Rubics and Grading Forms [PDF]
- Turnitin on the iPad [PDF]
- Switching between Feedback Studio and Turnitin classic [web page]
Accessing Turnitin inboxes on Moodle 2013 or earlier