Centre for Professional Practice

Excellence in practice trans-disciplinary learning

Student Support

In addition to PASS, students are entitled to non-academic student support from the Centre for Professional Practice's Student Support Coordinator and academic support from personal tutors.

For help on the right path to the support you need contact in the dedicated student support email address: cppstudentsupport@kent.ac.uk

Non-Academic student support

Non-academic student support can be contacted via email cppstudentsupport@kent.ac.uk.

This is an impartial service offered to all students studying with the Centre for Professional Practice and is in addition to the support that you receive from other members of the Centre for Professional Practice team.

Support for includes:

  • Information, advice and guidance prior to commencement of the course
  • Liaison with other academic departments
  • Information relating to university procedures
  • Advice relating to claims for accreditation of prior learning
  • Equality and diversity enquiries
  • Disability enquiries
  • General pastoral support throughout your studies
  • Advice relating to intermission/withdrawal
  • Student queries and/or complaints (informal first point of contact)
  • First point of contact for central university services (signposting)
  • Feedback and complaints

Support from Personal Tutor

As well as being able to discuss academic matters with the Module Convenor or Lecturer(s), you can also discuss academic matters with your personal tutor.

Students are entitled to request on-going tutorials outside of the taught sessions and may also request work-place visits.

Your personal tutor is there for:

  • General advice about the programme and details of the modules
  • Advice on which modules to study
  • Advice on involving your own workplace in the programme
  • Advice on assignments
  • Advice on improving assignments
  • Advice on marks on modules you have studied
  • Advice and support in completing assignments
  • Support on resubmission of assignments if there has been a fail mar


  • Your personal tutor cannot write or alter the assignment but can provide general advice on the best way of completing and submitting the assignment.
  • To liaise with Module Convenor or the Director of Graduate Studies if necessary to discuss problems you may have on the module.
  • Please note your personal tutors will not contact you and it is your responsibility to make contact to arrange tutorials.


University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 27/05/2015