Erasmus and exchanges

Undergraduate exchanges


We will send you information and the link to the online form when your university has confirmed that you are their selected Erasmus+ student.

  • Complete the application form online as soon as possible
  • Upload your Learning Agreement and Transcript of Marks as part of your application. If it is impossible for you to do this before 15 May, you must inform us at
  • If you would like to study a language while at Kent (excluding English), please include a note confirming your current level in that language
  • If you require a visa to study in the UK, you must upload an official copy of a valid Secure English Language Test (SELT) (ie IELTS or Pearson)

It is important to do this as early as possible in order to have the best chance of getting your preferred modules and campus accommodation.

September arrivals

Deadline for applications - 15 May

January arrivals

Deadline for applications - 15 October*
* We strongly advise all students to apply by 15 May, even if you will arrive in January.

Notes for filling in the online application form

  • Personal details: Please tell us your permanent (home) address and also a correspondence address if you will be away from your home for a long period.
  • Term dates: Please make sure that you select the correct terms for your stay. Students on Drama exchanges should not select the Summer Term because they will not have exams.
  • Qualifications: Select General, then write the details of your current degree programme. It is not necessary to include school qualifications.
  • English Language: This is not obligatory for undergraduate Erasmus students unless you need a visa to study in the UK. If you state that you have a SELT certificate, e.g. IELTS or Pearson, please provide details.
  • Reasons for study: Put “Erasmus+ student”
  • Written work: You will not have to submit written work unless it is specifically requested by the School or you choose a Creative Writing module. In this case you must submit a piece of your own creative writing in English to Kent.
  • References, Personal Statement and C.V.: These are not needed for undergraduate Erasmus+ students.
Postgraduate students: If you think you should study here at postgraduate level, please ask your home university to confirm this to us by email. This is only possible where a postgraduate exchange is already in place. Please note it is not possible to register as an undergraduate student and then take postgraduate modules

Choose your modules

You can see full details of the courses offered by your school at Kent in the online module catalogue.
Look at the information for Stage 2 (intermediate) and 3 (higher) because this is equivalent to the second and third year of the undergraduate degree. When you look at the module lists, click on a module title to see the full description.

Read the description carefully to check:

  • That the module will be taught in the year that you will come to Kent.
  • That it will be taught in the term that you will be here.
  • How many ECTS credits it is worth.
  • Method of Assessment: If you are not staying for the Summer Term, you should try to choose modules which are assessed by 100% coursework. However, some Schools may be able to offer an alternative form of assessment for particular modules.  You will be advised of this once you have submitted your Learning Agreement.
  • If applicable, have you met any of the necessary pre-requisites
  • If it is taught/partly taught in a language other than English. Have you studied that language to the appropriate level?

Some subjects are not available as wild modules for Erasmus students. Priority must be given to students who are on exchanges in those particular subjects. This includes Drama, Film Studies, Law and Economics. Individual cases can be discussed once application and Learning Agreement has been received.

In order to avoid delays with module registration, please read the module catalogue carefully and submit your Learning Agreement as early as possible.

See the frequently asked questions for further information.

Learning agreement

Under the ECTS scheme, your home university should recognise the marks you obtain at Kent as contributing to the final mark of your degree programmes. In order to ensure this, you must complete your Learning Agreement before your arrival at Kent. Please contact your home university for a blank copy of the Learning Agreement.

How to prepare your Learning Agreement:

When you have chosen your modules from the online module catalogue, write your module choices in order of preference (i.e. your favourite at the top) on your Learning Agreement. Sign the form yourself and obtain the signature of the responsible person at your home university. Upload the signed Learning Agreement with your application form as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance of getting your chosen modules.

If you find that it will take a long time to get the signature, please upload the unsigned Learning Agreement on to your application and send/upload the signed version as soon as it is ready. The Erasmus Team will then liaise with the appropriate School to get your module choices approved and registered. If there are any queries, we will contact you by email. We do everything we can to register students for their chosen modules but the final decision rests with the School concerned. We cannot guarantee places on modules because:

  • Some modules have a strict quota due to the nature of the class, the need for particular equipment or the size of the teaching room.
  • Some modules have strict pre-requisites so if you have not taken an equivalent at your home university, we will not be able to register it. It is important to check this before choosing your modules.


  • Students are not allowed to register for more than 30 ECTS credits (60 Kent credits) per teaching term (Autumn and Spring).
  • Students, who are staying for the full academic year or for the Autumn and Spring Terms, will only be allowed to register for a maximum of 60 ECTS credits (120 Kent credits).
  • Students, who are staying for one term only, will be allowed to register for a maximum of 30 ECTS credits (60 Kent credits).
  • If you require a Tier 4 visa to study at Kent, you must register for 30 ECTS credits per teaching term (Autumn and Spring).


Apply for campus accommodation online


A range of catered and self-catering accommodation is available on the Canterbury campus in colleges, flats or houses. The campus has a range of shops, catering facilities and launderettes. Campus accommodation is available for the full year or for one/two terms only. Room agreements include free insurance, free wi-fi and all gas, electricity and water bills.


Full year accommodation is provided by Liberty Quays a short walk from the main campus on the banks of the River Medway. Facilities include a laundrette, social area, small supermarket and catering outlets. Contracts are for the full academic year, so students coming for just one or two terms should contact the Accommodation Office for advice about finding accommodation for a shorter period.

Applying for university accommodation

  • You can only apply for your accommodation once you have received an offer of study at Kent
  • Apply on line at via the accommodation web pages [18].
  • Set up an accommodation account.
  • Login and apply for undergraduate accommodation.
  • You will need either your Applicant number or your Student ID number.

The Accommodation form says 31 or 39 weeks duration as a default setting but the Accommodation Office will set up a housing contract based on your registration dates. 

September arrivals

If you will arrive in September, you should apply as early as you can in order to have the best chance of getting your preferred accommodation. Rooms will be allocated chronologically so students who apply at the deadline have less chance of getting their preferred accommodation. Rooms will be allocated in late August/early September.

  • Deadline – 31 July

Students who apply after this deadline are not guaranteed campus accommodation.

January arrivals

If you will arrive in January, you can apply online for accommodation in October/November. Rooms will be allocated in December.

  • Deadline – 30 November

Students who apply after this deadline are not guaranteed campus accommodation.


Room licences (contracts) will be issued for the full period of your registration at Kent. Please check that the dates of stay on your acceptance letter are correct before you apply for accommodation. Once you have accepted the room offer, it is not always possible to amend the contract.

Off-campus accommodation

Off-campus accommodation can be found using the Home Stamp service: [19].
Kent Union’s Housing Accreditation Officer helps students using this service: [20].
Do not leave your accommodation search until shortly before arrival. Please note that it can be extremely difficult to find private accommodation for one term only.

Council Tax

Students who live off-campus for 6 months or less will not be exempt from paying Council Tax. Those who live on campus are exempt as are those who live off-campus for a full academic year.

Publishing Office - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 02/10/2015