Control: Control fundamentals and modelling: Modelling of engineering processes, Laplace transfer, system description in frequency domain and time domain. Feedback control design with feedback and PID control: Digital - control: Implications of digital implementation and controller emulation methods.
Mechatronics: Sensors and transducers for mechatronic systems; Actuation: pneumatic and hydraulic actuators, mechanical actuators, electronical actuators; Microprocessors: Microprocessor systems, microcontrollers.
Contact hours 34
Private study hours: 116
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
Main Assessment Methods
25% Coursework (Lab report and presentation)
- Control Systems Engineering – By: Norman S. Nise; John Wiley & Sons; 7th Edition 2013.
- Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems – By: Gene Franklin, J. David Powell, Abbas Emami-Naeini; Pearson; 2014.
- Mechatronics: Electronic Control Systems in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering – By: W. Bolton; Pearson; 5th Edition 2011.
- Mechatronics: Electronics in Products and Processes – By: David Allan Bradley; CRC Press, 1993.
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Understand the classical feedback control methods adopted for design and analysis of engineering systems;
2. design and analyse feedback control systems using a range of techniques;
3. use effectively the specifications of mechatronic components and systems, including sensors, actuators, controllers and microprocessors;
4. undertake the design, analysis and performance of a mechatronic system.
Back to top
Credit level 5. Intermediate level module usually taken in Stage 2 of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.