Systems programming - EENG5780
This module provides both a broad and deep understanding of Object Orientated program design and implementation within a system. Reinforcement of foundational material is through its use in both understanding and working with a range of fundamental data structures and algorithms. More systems-based understanding, such as interfacing to physical hardware are covered. This allows for a systems application-level view of design and implementation to be explored. Throughout the course, the quality of application design and the need for a professional approach to software development is emphasised.
Contact hours: 36
Private study hours: 114
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
Main assessment methods:
• Three Homeworks (5 pages at 20% each)
• Mini-project ( 10-minute presentation and 5 page report, 40%)
• Mark Lutz, Learning Python: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming ,2013
• Nicholas H.Tollervey Programming with MicroPython: Embedded Programming with Microcontrollers and Python, 2017
On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Explain the differences between various datatypes in an Object Orientated language and select the relevant type for a given programming task
2. Explain the basic concepts of Object-Oriented Programming and give examples of appropriate uses of classes and objects.
3. Independently find online information about external library modules and apply this information to solve a specific task.
4. Interface Object Orientated programmes with standardised hardware.
5. Test solutions to programming problems.
Credit level 5. Intermediate level module usually taken in Stage 2 of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.