One-on-one meetings and small group tutorials focused on academic progression and the development of key skills to support the core curriculum and future study or employment. Students meet with their Academic Advisor individually or in small groups at intervals during the academic year. Individual meetings review academic progress, support career planning etc. Themed tutorials develop transferable skills; indicative topics are essay and report writing, presentation skills, sourcing information, critical analysis etc. The tutorials are informal involving student activity and discussion. Year group events deliver general information e.g. on University resources, 4-year programmes, module selection etc.
Private Study: 2
Contact Hours: 8
Method of assessment
• Formative assessment/feedback only
The University is committed to ensuring that core reading materials are in accessible electronic format in line with the Kent Inclusive Practices. The most up to date reading list for each module can be found on the university's reading list pages.
1. Students will gain basic knowledge of the underlying concepts and principles associated with generic academic skills through academic advising;
2. Students will gain a rudimentary ability to present, evaluate, and interpret qualitative and quantitative data, to develop lines of argument and make sound judgements in accordance with basic theories and concepts of their subject(s) of study;
3. Students will communicate the results of their study/work accurately and reliably;
4. Students will undertake further training and develop basic academic skills within a structured and managed environment.
Back to top
Credit level 4. Certificate level module usually taken in the first stage of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.