Sustainable Conferencing at the University Of Kent
The University of Kent has signed the Sustainable Development Goals Education Accord committing us to embed sustainability into all our operations.
As part of the University’s continued commitment to Sustainability, we will make conscious efforts to reduce the environmental and social impacts of conferencing and events by the following:
- All registrations, bookings and joining instructions will be sent online to reduce printing and waste.
- We encourage guests and delegates to travel via public transport by providing clear information on transport options available.
- Recycling points are available in all venues and we ask delegates to ensure they return their badges and any unwanted materials so we can reuse and recycle these items.
- All of the tea, coffee, sugar and hot chocolate provided in accommodation and served at conference venues is Fairtrade.
- Our cooked breakfast available to B&B guests is locally sourced with vegetarian and vegan options available.
- In conjunction with our catering team, we are working towards achieving the objectives of our Sustainable Food strategy, reducing the impact of the food we provide to delegates.
- Where possible we avoid using disposable crockery and cutlery and can provide tap water in jugs as an alternative to bottled water.
- Our newest venue, the Sibson building is rated BREEAM excellent and boasts state-of-the-art facilities in our most sustainable building.
- We operate a continuous schedule of refurbishments across all our accommodation and venues to include energy and water efficiency improvements.
Want to go the extra mile?
Our conference office team can discuss with you a range of optional extras to minimise the environmental impacts of your conference or event. We can work with you to provide:
- Discounted daily bus tickets for delegates travel to and from the city centre.
- Catering menus focused on seasonal, local and sustainable food options.
- Re-usable mugs or cups for delegate refreshments.
- Online conference apps to replace printed conference brochures.
- Reusable cotton or Fairtrade bags for conference materials.
If there is anything else you would like to include then please speak to the conference office on 01227 828000.