Sending us a story
On this page:
What to expect
We reserve the right to edit and rewrite copy when necessary as well as to decide which of our channels to use.
We may choose not to publish stories and/or images that we deem unsuitable or not in keeping with our corporate guidelines.
We will endeavour to action/publish your information within three working days of receipt of copy.
At particularly busy times (for example, start of term or graduation), it may take longer for the story to be published.
If we consider your story suitable for external press coverage, your details will be forwarded to a member of our Press Office.
They may contact you for further details and to discuss possible external promotion.
Checklist for your story
For a quick and problem-free submission, please make sure you do the following:
- Keep your information as brief as possible. We recommend a 300-word count maximum
- Include a heading that is, in effect, a summary of the news story/event
- Try to include key information in the opening paragraph(s) - in case we need to cut copy for space reasons
- Ensure you include essential details – the 5 Ws (who, what, where, when and why) plus ‘how’
- Your story must include an image. See our image checklist for advice.
- Add a contact point (email/telephone/website) for further information
Images for your stories
All stories should be accompanied by an image. This greatly improves reader engagement and helps your content to be more visible.
- Images should be saved as a: jpeg, jpg, or png
- They should be landscape, in a 3 by 2 aspect ratio
- A minimum of 1920 x 1280 pixels. Images below this will not be used
- Image source must be provided so that the appropriate attribution can be applied
- Send them to Stories@kent.ac.uk, making sure to include the same suggested title in the subject field