Cambridge Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Our CELTA courses are full-time.
- What is CELTA?
- TEFL or CELTA?
- Key course details
- Entry requirements
- How to apply
- Free English Classes
What is CELTA?
CELTA is an internationally recognised qualification, which provides you with the minimum entry level for the English language teaching profession.
Please see the CELTA website for details about the qualification.
The CELTA course at the University of Kent is an excellent means of enhancing your employability. It is one of the most globally recognised qualifications for teaching English to speakers of other languages which will enable you to apply for teaching posts either overseas or in the UK. It is regarded by employers as providing sound initial training and a strong basis from which to develop as a teacher of English. We have a 4 week intensive course starting 18th June 2018"!
TEFL or CELTA
- Taking CELTA will enable you to apply for a teaching post either overseas or in the UK. It is an excellent means of enhancing your employability.
- The CELTA is necessary for teaching in British Council accredited schools in the UK.
- TEFL is a less comprehensive and introductory teaching qualification.
Adults or Children?
- The CELTA qualification is designed to teach you how to teach adults. Anyone interested in teaching younger students would need to take an additional short add-on qualification (available at other Cambridge centres).
I learnt a great deal from CELTA, and would not hesitate recommending the course, and also CEWL, to anyone who is interested in working in the field of TEFL. I greatly valued the practical nature of the course, and I think it helped me a lot in the sense of giving me confidence to teach in a classroom situation.
Key course details
The CELTA course provides great training for anyone strongly considering a career in EFL. The input and teaching practise sessions give useful insights into what will be expected of you. Having CELTA will prove to be a valuable qualification while I am searching for EFL jobs in the UK and abroad. The course tells employers that you are equipped with the skills they are looking for.
Intensive full-time course
- Starts Monday 18 June 2018 (Please note there will be an induction on Friday 15 June 2018)
- 5-week course
- 9:00am - 5:00pm (Monday-Thursday)
Total course fees
Price 2018 : - £1300 (including Cambridge ESOL fee of £140)
For further details, please contact email@example.com or telephone 01227 824401back to top
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the course
- Have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables them to undertake the course
- Have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to successfully complete the written assignments of practice teaching.
- Have qualifications which would allow them access to Higher Education courses
- Applicants are not required to be native speakers of English. It is, however, necessary to have a minimum of C2/C1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
back to top
How to apply
Our next CELTA course starts 18 June 2018.
After you have applied and done your pre-interview task, the course co-ordinator will contact suitable candidates to arrange an interview date. All suitable candidates are required to attend an interview and if successful, an offer of a place on the course is made.
You must apply online by Monday 28 May 2018 (Please note there is a £30 non-refundable registration fee and applications are dealt with on a first-come, first-served basis as there are a limited number of places)
Interviews: April/May 2018
CELTA course starts: 18 June 2018
. The teaching was of the highest standard. The teachers gave endless effort and satisfied any questions or requests. Feedback was detailed and instant.
CELTA Free English classes
There was a good balance between reading and listening. I liked the introduction before each lesson.
The clases were really organised well. The teachers are great and friendly. I enjoyed it a lot, lovely teachers and I found new friends. I will miss this class!
We will be holding FREE English classes from Monday 18 June to Thursday 19 July 2018 from 2pm to 4pm as part of our CELTA teacher training course.
The classes will cover the four skills of Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking, as well as Grammar, Vocabulary and Pronunciation. There is a strong emphasis on communication and pair/group work. You will have the chance to meet new people and practice your speaking skills.
During the first class you will be required to complete a test to help us find out your level of English as from the second class you will be divided into two groups: one lower (roughly B1 CEFR level), and one higher (roughly B2 CEFR level).
- if you’re a Kent student you can earn employability points for attending the classes. To claim your points, you need to log them on My Folio.
- all students will receive a certificate of attendance if they attend more than 80% of the classes
To confirm your place at the classes or if you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How many places are there on the CELTA course?
There is a maximum of 12 places.
Is there a deadline for CELTA applications?
Can you recommend accommodation during the CELTA?
It is up to you to arrange your accommodation. Please contact the University accommodation office on 01227 766660 to arrange accommodation for the duration of the course.
When will I receive my CELTA certificate?
CELTA certificates are sent within four to eight weeks of receipt of the recommended results from the centre and assessor.
back to top