I want to work in International Development
- WORLD SERVICE ENQUIRY. www.wse.org.uk With experience and knowledge of the sector World Service Enquiry offers information and career advice to people at the start of their career or new to international development jobs who want to volunteer or work in international development
- IDEALIST http://idealistcareers.org “connects people, organizations, and resources to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives”. The site has a careers resources section http://idealistcareers.org/resources/
- PEACE & COLLABORATIVE DEVELOPMENT NETWORK www.internationalpeaceandconflict.org Professional networking site that has a number of resource guides including a guide to careers in conflict resolution, international development and related fields.
- BRITISH COUNCIL www.britishcouncil.org.uk Cultural and educational programmes worldwide. Governance & Reform programme promotes social change and voice and accountability for all. Key areas include institutional development, justice and the rule of law, civil society and economic development
- DEPARTMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT www.dfid.gov.uk Government department with the aim of promoting sustainable development and eliminating world poverty
- EUROPEAID http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/index_en.htm The Directorate–General of the European Union responsible for designing EU development policies and delivering aid through programmes and projects across the world
- INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION www.worldbank.org/ida - the part of the World Bank that helps the world’s poorest countries.
- ORGANISATION FOR ECONOMIC COOPERATION & DEVELOPMENT (OECD) www.oecd.org “Young Professionals Programme” for Masters graduates.
- UNICEF UK www.unicef.org.uk United Nations Children’s Fund.
- UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME www.undp.org UN development agency providing advice, advocacy and resources for empowering the poor.
- JOBS 4 DEVELOPMENT www.jobs4development.com International Development jobs in NGOs, charities and non-for profit organisations
- THIRD SECTOR JOBS http://jobs.thirdsector.co.uk
PUBLIC AND DEVELOPMENT
- ALERTNET www.alertnet.org – humanitarian news site with extensive jobs database for the international disaster relief. community http://www.trust.org/jobs-market/
- BOND (British Overseas NGOs for Development) www.bond.org.uk Network of over 190 UK-based voluntary organisations working in international development. Includes job directory www.bond.org.uk/jobs.php#jobsdirectory
- CHARITY JOB www.charityjob.co.uk - jobs in charities and NGOs www.charityjob.co.uk/jobs/intl+development
- DEVNET www.devnetjobs.org international development jobs and consulting opportunities.
- INSTITUTE OF DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
www.ids.ac.uk/knowledge-services/about-ks/products-and-services an information gateway with access to environment and development information worldwide.
- YELLOW MONDAY www.ids.ac.uk/yellow-monday (University of Sussex). Weekly newsletter including vacancies.
- ONE WORLD GROUP http://oneworldgroup.org.uk/
- RELIEF WEB www.reliefweb.int – Administered by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has lists of humanitarian vacancies.
CHARITY AND PUBLIC RECRUITMENT
- CHARITY ACTION RECRUITMENT www.c-a-r.org.uk not for profit sector specialist recruitment agency that is itself owned by a charity.
- CHARITY PEOPLE www.charitypeople.co.uk Recruitment agency for voluntary sector including temporary posts
- HARRIS HILL www.harrishill.co.uk “the largest specialist recruiter of charity jobs for charitable organisations in the UK”
- OXFORD HUMAN RESOURCE CONSULTANTS www.oxfordhr.co.uk works exclusively in the international development and social enterprise sectors.
- PROSPECT-US www.prospect-us.co.uk Specialises in recruitment for the not-for-profit sector including temporary and part-time posts.
Development Related Organisations
Search engine for UK-based development charities https://www.charities.gov.sg/_layouts/MCYSCPSearch/MCYSCPSearchCriteriaPage.aspx
- ACORD (Agency for Cooperation and Research in Development) www.acord.org.uk International consortium of 24 non-governmental organisations co-operating in the field of long-term development in Africa.
- ACTION AGAINST HUNGER UK www.aahuk.org Operates nutrition and food security programmes, water engineering and health programmes in 28 countries. UK and overseas recruitment.
- ACTION AID www.actionaid.org Working with children, families and communities to improve the quality of life in over 30 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean
- AGA KHAN FOUNDATION (UK) www.akf.org.uk Promotes social development, primarily but not exclusively, in low-income countries in Asia, Central Asia and Africa, supporting programmes in health, education, NGO enhancement and rural development. All recruitment is done locally in country
- APT ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT www.aptenterprise.org.uk Provides a wide range of skills training and specialist support to small enterprises in developing countries by forming long-term partnerships with local organisations
- CAFOD www.cafod.org.uk The Catholic Church's official agency for overseas development. Funds more than 1000 projects in 75 countries and also responds to emergencies
- CARE INTERNATIONAL UK www.careinternational.org.uk Provides relief during emergencies and by offering long-term assistance to improve the social and economic well being of individuals, families and communities
- CHRISTIAN AID www.christian-aid.org.uk Christian Aid is an official agency of the churches of Britain and Ireland seeking to assist the poor regardless of religion or race through funding indigenous organisations in over 60 countries
- CHRISTIAN OUTREACH (CORD) www.cord.org.uk Works to build lasting peace in partnership with people living and working in conflict, or post-conflict situations
- CMS (CHURCH MISSION SOCIETY) www.cms-uk.org Works in partnership with churches in Africa, Asia, UK and other parts of Europe in institutional and community-based work
- COMMONWEALTH YOUTH EXCHANGE COUNCIL www.cyec.org.uk . Promotes contact between the youth of the UK and other Commonwealth countries, including help in the organisation of exchanges, advice and training
- CONCERN WORLDWIDE www.concern.net International humanitarian organisation dedicated to tackling poverty and suffering in the world’s poorest countries
- EVERYCHILD www.everychild.org.uk Protecting the rights of the world's most vulnerable and marginalised children
- HELP AGE INTERNATIONAL www.helpage.org Global network of organizations helping older people claim their rights, challenge discrimination and overcome poverty
- IIED (International Institute for Environment and Development) www.iied.org . Focuses on the links between economic development, the environment and human needs
- theIDLgroup www.theIDLgroup.com small international development consultancy based near Bristol, with offices overseas in Ghana and Vietnam. Offer internships http://unjobs.org/vacancies/1261736974018
- INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE www.theirc.org Provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction to those affected by violence and conflict around the world.
- OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE www.odi.org.uk . An independent non-governmental centre for development research and a forum for discussion of the problems facing developing countries. Their focus is natural resources; human security and development; and international economic development. Runs fellowship scheme for postgraduate economists
- OXFAM www.oxfam.org.uk globally renowned aid and development charity with 70 years of experience, working and campaigning with partners in 98 countries worldwide
- OXFAM IRELAND www.oxfamireland.org
- PLAN INTERNATIONAL http://plan-international.org Works in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty
- PROGRESSIO www.progressio.org.uk international development charity working for justice and the eradication of poverty
- RAILWAY CHILDREN www.railwaychildren.org.uk Projects working with street children in India and East Africa
- SAVE THE CHILDREN FUND http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/
- SEWA UK http://sewauk.org/ non-sectarian charity of Indian origin working in areas which suffer from humanitarian disasters and tragedies, to provide immediate relief and rehabilitation
- SOS CHILDREN www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk the world’s largest orphan and abandoned children’s charity
- TEARFUND www.tearfund.org Evangelical Christian development and relief charity working through local partners in more than 50 countries around the world.
- TROCAIRE www.trocaire.org Irish charity working with overseas partners in long-term development projects. in 28 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East
- WAR ON WANT www.waronwant.org Campaigns against poverty and exploitation worldwide
- WORLD VISION www.WorldVision.org.uk Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice
- Y CARE INTERNATIONAL www.ycareinternational.org Works in partnership with YMCAs across the developing world to respond to the needs of the most disadvantaged young people
Health and Social/Community Work
- AMERICAN REFUGEE COMMITTEE http://arcrelief.org/ . A non-profit humanitarian organisation working for the survival, health and well being of refugees and displaced persons.
- BILL AND MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION www.gatesfoundation.org Aims to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty globally. Programmes include vaccination, HIV and other health research. Offices in Seattle, London, Washington DC, New Delhi and Beijing.
- BRITISH RED CROSS www.redcross.org.uk Provides caring and emergency services to both local communities and overseas
- IRISH RED CROSS. www.redcross.ie
- CHRISTOFFEL-BLINDENMISSION www.cbmi.de Interdenominational Christian organisation collaborating with overseas partners to prevent and cure blindness and educate and rehabilitate disabled people.
- GOAL www.goal.ie Non-denominational NGO working on emergency relief and a range of humanitarian programmes
- HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL www.handicap-international.org.uk Independent international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster.
- HEALTH LINK www.healthlink.org.uk Provides information on primary health care and disability in developing countries.
- HEALTH POVERTY ACTION www.healthpovertyaction.org Health education and health services for communities in less developed countries and areas of conflict.
- HEALTH NET TPO www.healthnettpo.org Dutch aid agency that works on health care in areas disrupted by war or disasters.
- HELP AGE INTERNATIONAL www.helpage.org . Global network of organisations working with and for disadvantaged older people worldwide to achieve a lasting improvement in the quality of their lives.
- LEPRA HEALTH IN ACTION https://www.lepra.org.uk/ Works to treat, educate and support people in some of the world’s most deprived communities. Originally formed in 1924 with the aim “to rid the British Empire of leprosy” we have built on our extensive experience to address not only prevention and treatment of leprosy, but also other diseases of poverty including TB, HIV/AIDS and malaria
- MARIE STOPES INTERNATIONAL www.mariestopes.org Works in the field of maternal and child health and family planning in the UK and 25 developing countries
- MEDICAL AID FOR PALESTINIANS www.map-uk.org delivers health and medical care to those worst affected by conflict, occupation and displacement.
- MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES www.msf.org International, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare
- MERLIN http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/merlin-medical-emergency-relief-international-5435 UK-based international health charity, sending medical experts to the frontline of global emergencies.
- REDR UK https://www.redr.org.uk/ International disaster relief charity which trains aid workers and provides skilled professionals to humanitarian programmes worldwide.
- RESPONSE INTERNATIONAL www.responseinternational.org.uk Supports victims of violent conflict, implementing multi-sector healthcare programmes for immediate relief and providing sustainable conditions for longer term development.
- RSM GLOBAL HEALTH www.rsm.ac.uk/globalhealth A resource from the Royal Society of Medicine for individuals who wish to learn and engage in any aspect of the global health agenda. Links to NGOs and charities working in the health sector are at www.rsm.ac.uk/globalhealth/ngocharity.html
- TROPICAL HEALTH & EDUCATION TRUST www.thet.org THET is committed to improving health services in developing countries through building long-term capacity. Based in the UK, we have over 20 years experience working with health institutions around the world.
- WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION www.who.int/employment - UN agency for health. Runs an internship programme and a Junior Professionals Programme
Education and Teaching Supply Agencies
CENTRE FOR BRITISH TEACHERS www.cfbt.com Charity providing education services for public benefit in the UK and internationally. Works with clients worldwide to develop high quality, innovative and cost-effective solutions to their education and training needs.
Technology and Engineering
- APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY ASIA www.atasia.org.uk Activities include: Capacity building of local communities; Provision of improved water and sanitation facilities; Introduction of new agricultural technique; Provision of training in health, education, the environment, micro-credit and vocational skills
- ATKINS www.atkinsglobal.com Engineering consultancy with a variety of interests within the broad environmental field. Graduate training programme www.atkinsglobal.co.uk/en/careers/graduates
- CENTRE FOR ALTERNATIVE TECHNOLOGY www.cat.org.uk Demonstrates and provides information on sustainable and appropriate technologies for use in Britain and worldwide
- DEVELOPING TECHNOLOGIES http://developingtechnologies.wordpress.com works to alleviate the effects of chronic poverty and reduce mortality in developing countries through the design, development and free transfer of appropriate technology
- ENGINEER AID www.engineeraid.com international development charity, working to provide remote solutions to engineering and technology problems in the less economically developed countries by providing a platform to engineers to collaborate and solve problems
- ONE LAPTOP PER CHILD http://one.laptop.org Have designed hardware, content and software with the aim of providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop.
- PRACTICAL ACTION www.practicalaction.org uses low cost, appropriate, small-scale development solutions to help people to help themselves in more than 40 developing countries across the world
- ROUGHTON GROUP www.roughton.com Multidisciplinary consultancy delivering projects in Africa, Asia, Europe, UK, Latin America, the Caribbean, Mekong and the South Pacific
- URS http://www.aecom.com/ engineering and environmental consultants
- ADC ENVIRONMENT RECRUITMENT www.environmentpost.co.uk Recruit in the environmental consultancy sector
- ADAS www.adas.co.uk Leading consultancy and research organisation for the land-based industries, working throughout UK and overseas. Covers most aspects of agriculture, environment and rural development
- BOOKER TATE LTD www.booker-tate.co.uk development, management and technical services to the international sugar industry
- CARDNO www.cardno.com infrastructure and environmental services company, with expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world.
- THE ENVIRONMENT COUNCIL Charity focused on engaging people for sustainable development
- FARM AFRICA www.farmafrica.org Provides practical assistance to help poor farmers and herders in Africa grow more food, keep their livestock healthy, make a basic living and manage their natural resources in a sustainable way
- FIND YOUR FEET www.find-your-feet.org Small UK based development NGO that works in some of the most remote areas of India, Nepal, Malawi and Zimbabwe
- FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANISATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS (FAO) www.fao.org HQ in Rome and a presence in over 130 countries
- GREENPEACE www.greenpeace.org International campaign agency that investigates, exposes and confronts environmental abuse, and champions environmentally responsible solutions.
- GORTA www.gorta.ie emphasis on food security, empowerment of women and improving the health of children to ensure growth and development.
- GARDEN ORGANIC www.hdra.org.uk International Development programme promotes and facilitates organic and ecological agriculture in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Our goal is to contribute to the wider understanding and practice of sustainable agriculture as a means to improving food security and environmental resilience
- INTERNATIONAL FUND FOR AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT www.ifad.org As a specialised agency of the United Nations, IFAD finances agricultural projects primarily for food production in developing countries
- INTERNATIONAL UNION FOR CONSERVATION OF NATURE (IUCN) www.iucn.org the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization, aimed at the sustainable management of biodiversity and natural resources
- LANDELL MILLS LIMITED www.landell-mills.com Provides research and management services in natural resource sector, operating in 90 countries worldwide
- LTS INTERNATIONAL www.ltsi.co.uk Consultancy and project management services to support sustainable development in the public and private sectors across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas. Service areas cover Environment & Economy, Governance, Specialist Forestry Services & Carbon, Communication & Knowledge and Climate Change
- MACALISTER ELLIOTT AND PARTNERS LTD www.macalister-elliott.com an independent fisheries consultancy specialising in the preparation, implementation and management of fisheries operations and development projects worldwide
- SEND A COW www.sendacow.org.uk Provides livestock, seeds, training and ongoing support to farmers in Africa
- SOS SAHEL www.sahel.org.uk . Works in vulnerable environments of Africa helping rural people make the best use of natural resources
- STOPDODO www.environmentjobs.com Global portal for environment jobs
- TDI GROUP www.tdigroup.wordpress.com Dublin-based international development consultancy specialising in the provision of technical assistance in areas related to trade, export promotion, SME development and foreign direct investment
- WATER AID www.wateraid.org.uk Supports drinking water and sanitation projects in developing countries. Overseas staff, including engineers, health educators and community development managers attached to local rural self-help schemes
- WELL www.lboro.ac.uk/well/index.htm Resource centre for water, sanitation and environmental health based at Loughborough University Links to NGOs working in this area at www.lboro.ac.uk/well/links/ngo-links.htm
- WOMEN'S ENVIRONMENTAL NETWORK www.wen.org.uk Addresses environmental issues as they affect women. Staffed by volunteers who research, compile reports and campaign. Also active local groups
- WORLD LAND TRUST www.worldlandtrust.org international conservation organisation that supports and empowers local NGOs by providing finance for land purchase and a wide range of assistance, including equipment, technical advisors on short term contracts, publications and reference books
- WORLD WIDE FUND FOR NATURE https://support.wwf.org.uk/?pc=AQJ001001&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WWF-Brand-Non-Animal-BMM&utm_term=%2Bworld%20%2Bwildlife%20%2Bfund&utm_content=Pure%20Brand%20Terms&gclid=CJjRl92unNQCFRevGwodiBwDYA&gclsrc=ds “There’s more to WWF than pandas and tigers. We're about respecting and valuing the natural world and finding ways to share the Earth’s resources fairly”
- ABBEY SOLUTIONS http://abbeysolutions.co.uk consultancy providing high quality innovative solutions to charities, NGOs, foundations, companies and individuals. We focus on fundraising, communications, strategic planning, research, recruitment and advising donors on funding. Our international services have expanded in the last two years supporting NGOs as far away as India and China
- CROWN AGENTS www.crownagents.co.uk . Private company, which provides specialist and multidisciplinary services in international trade, procurement, finance and institutional development
- DD INTERNATIONAL www.ddinternational.org.uk Independent international development consultancy company dedicated to improving the wellbeing of the resource-poor communities in the developing world. We have amassed experience in over 80 countries, primarily in Africa, South Asia and Latin America. We work in partnership with poor communities, local, national and international organisations, donors, policy makers and service providers from the private, government and voluntary sectors
- ECORYS www.uk.ecorys.com Provides research, consulting and management services to support economic and social development in developing and transition economy countries
- HAREWELLE GROUP https://www.devex.com/organizations/harewelle-international-limited-4089 International development consultancy which aims to “enable aid agencies to manage and deliver programmes and projects efficiently, effectively and ethically, offering service and support particularly in the areas of people management and development”
- IMA INTERNATIONAL www.imainternational.comProvides training, coaching and consultancy to development practitioners worldwide who work for NGOs, UN agencies, governments and the private sector, specialising in project and programme management and people skills.
- Integritas360 www.integritas360.org . A global social enterprise committed to advancing integrity and raising ethical practice in global development. We provide assurance and advisory services, training, and anti-corruption certification to the non-profit and international development sectors; and specialise in designing and implementing bespoke solutions to address challenges in the inter-related areas of anti-corruption, integrity, governance, and accountability.
- INTRAC www.intrac.org specialist consultancy services for major international NGOs, NGO support organisations and donors involved in international development and relief work, dedicated to strengthening civil society
- ITAD (Information Training & Development www.itad.com Independent consultancy service specialising in international development and management
- MANGO (Management Accounting for NGOs) www.mango.org.uk Registered charity which exists to improve the financial management of NGOs working in humanitarian aid and development by providing a source of experienced finance staff to work with NGOs
- OXFORD POLICY MANAGEMENT www.opml.co.uk Consultancy with a network of offices in Europe, Africa and Asia, covering a broad spectrum of policy issues, from climate change and debt management to health and social protection
- THE SPRINGFIELD CENTRE www.springfieldcentre.com Independent consulting, training and research organisation specialising in private sector development in low and middle-income economies. Has particular longer-term working relationships in Bangladesh, Indonesia, South Africa and the Balkans.
- ACTION AID www.actionaid.org Our project work is at the heart of what we do. We have developed projects that enable people living in poverty in Africa, Asia and Latin America to claim their rights - to, for example, education, food, and drugs for treating HIV & AIDS
- ATD FOURTH WORLD UK. 48 Addington Square, London SE5 7LB. Tel: 020 7703 3231. E-mail: Atd@atd-uk.org . Website: www.atd-uk.org . Requires long-term volunteers to be involved in grass roots projects with very poor families worldwide. Also short term work camps and workshops
- BOOK AID INTERNATIONAL www.bookaid.org Increases access to books and supports literacy, education and development in sub-Saharan Africa
- COMHLAMH www.comhlamh.org Comhlámh (pronounced ‘co-law-ve', Irish for ‘solidarity') is a member and supporter organisation open to anyone interested in social justice, human rights and global development issues
- COMMONWORK LAND TRUST www.commonwork.org Based in Kent; works for sustainable global citizenship through education and practical activities
- CORAL CAY CONSERVATION www.coralcay.org Award winning conservation organisation that helps to protect endangered coral reefs, and rainforests and empower the people that depend on them
- COMMONWEALTH FOUNDATION www.commonwealthfoundation.com exists to empower charities, non-governmental organisations, professional associations, trade unions, faith groups and cultural practitioners and to equip these groups with the tools required to contribute to national and international goals of democracy, good governance, sustainable development and cultural diversity
- CONCORDIA http://www.concordiavolunteers.org.uk Over 1500 volunteering projects worldwide with a low-cost contribution structure
- DIASPORA VOLUNTEERING ALLIANCE Brings together a variety of UK organisations with a common interest in engaging and sending Diaspora volunteers to support projects in their countries and continents of origin. Links to member organisations are on the website
- EARTHWATCH INSTITUTE www.earthwatch.org Supports long-term scientific field research to tackle the world's most pressing environmental problems, involving a diverse range of people in scientific research and education
- ETIV do Brasil www.etivdobrasil.org is a small NGO co-founded by a 2014 Kent graduate. It offers volunteering opportunities in Brazil including admin/office support, marketing and communications, environmental conservation, teaching English and youth development.
- FRONTIER www.frontierprojects.ac.uk Sends expedition teams of research assistants to join conservation projects across the world. You will need to raise sponsorship to join the team overseas and they occasionally recruit for field staff
- INTERNATIONAL SERVICE www.internationalservice.org.uk Particular interests in women, disabled people, children and young people, and people living with HIV/Aids. Runs International Citizen Service volunteering scheme in Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Mali, and the occupied Palestinian territory
- INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTARY SERVICE http://ivsgb.org The British branch of Service Civil International, a worldwide network of organisations supporting the mutual exchange of volunteers to work on projects of direct benefit to local communities. Organises a range of short and long-term international volunteering projects
- ISLAMIC RELIEF WORLDWIDE www.islamic-relief.com International relief and development charity WILL NOT ALLOW US TO HYPERLINK
- KIBBUTZ REPRESENTATIVES www.kibbutz.org.il/eng/welcome.htm
- LIVING EARTH www.livingearth.org.uk International environmental charity with current operations in Latin America, Africa and Central and Eastern Europe as well as the UK
- NICARAGUA SOLIDARITY CAMPAIGN http://www.nicaraguasc.org.uk/ works with Nicaraguan organisations and social movements working to overcome social and economic injustice and facilitates solidarity links with their UK counterparts
- PLAN INTERNATIONAL UK www.plan-international.org Works in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty
- PROGRESSIO www.progressio.org.uk international development charity working for justice and the eradication of poverty
- RALEIGH INTERNATIONAL www.raleigh.org.uk Youth development charity organising a series of challenging and worthwhile environmental and community projects in the UK and remote parts of the world
- SKILL SHARE INTERNATIONAL https://www.onlinevolunteering.org/en/node/387125 I'm a graduate from the University of Kent from 2010 and I just want to let you know about an opportunity that I took after university which is completely government funded. My local paper wrote a short article about my trip: www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/11482667.Faith_s_vital_role_as_volunteer_in_Zimbabwe/?ref=mr
At Skillshare International, we run projects all year round in developing countries, working with people on the ground to create sustainable development in areas such as livelihoods, healthcare, education and creating active global citizens. One example is where we have developed a micro finance project for older ladies of the community who have lost members of their family and now look after orphaned children through help from the money that comes from the scheme we helped to set up.
The International Citizen Service https://www.volunteerics.org/ our partner enables us to send UK citizens out on fully funded 10 week placements in the three countries we have teamed up with to do this: Lesotho, South Africa and Botswana.
- SUDAN VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME www.svp-uk.com London based charity sending graduates and under-graduates to Sudan to teach English at schools, colleges and Universities
- TOOLS FOR SELF RELIANCE www.tfsr.org Aims to empower artisans working in developing countries so that they can better participate in the development of themselves and their communities. Work with local partner organisations to provide hand tools and skills training
- TZEDEK www.tzedek.org.uk voluntarily led NGO that draws upon the skills and resources of the Jewish Community to better the lives of those less fortunate. des financial support to sustainable self-help development projects in some of the poorest communities in the world, regardless of race or religion and runs an overseas volunteer programme
- UNIPAL www.unipal.org.uk Sends volunteers to the Middle East to work with Palestinians on a short-term basis in the summer, to teach English or to take part in other activities as needed
- UNA EXCHANGE www.unaexchange.org UNA Exchange holds international work camps to carry out short-term volunteer projects with local communities in more than 60 countries
- UNITED NATIONS VOLUNTEERS www.unvolunteers.org Recruits highly qualified and experienced volunteers from all member countries of the UN. Placements usually two years but some short-term humanitarian relief work
- VOLUNTEERS FOR RURAL INDIA www.vri-online.org.uk Visit development projects and learn about the culture of rural India. The emphasis is on learning rather than traditional volunteer work
- VSO www.vso.org.uk independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries
- WOMEN AID INTERNATIONAL www.womenaid.org International humanitarian and development agency which provides relief and assistance to women and children suffering war, disasters or poverty
- WORLD WIDE VOLUNTEERING www.worldwidevolunteering.org.uk maintains a database of 250,000 volunteer opportunities for 16-25 year olds, both in the UK and abroad.
Campaigning, Education and Action
- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL www.amnesty.org Campaigns on behalf of prisoners of conscience or other detainees suffering repression
- CAMPAIGN AGAINST ARMS TRADE www.caat.org.uk Conducts research and campaigns on the arms trade and the arms and development issue.
- DEVELOPMENT EDUCATION ASSOCIATION An association of over 240 development community and education-related organisations.
- FRIENDS OF THE EARTH www.foe.co.uk Campaigns on air pollution, climate change, energy, tropical rainforests, water pollution, waste and toxics, recycling, countryside, land use and transport
- GLOBAL CAMPAIGN FOR EDUCATION www.campaignforeducation.org Promotes education as a basic human right, and mobilizes public pressure on governments and the international community to fulfil their promises to provide free, compulsory public basic education for all people; in particular for children, women and all disadvantaged, deprived sections of society
- INTERNATIONAL ALERT www.international-alert.org Independent peacebuilding organisation that works to lay the foundations for lasting peace and security in communities affected by violent conflict
- PEOPLE AND PLANET www.peopleandplanet.org UK student organisation campaigning on human rights, world poverty and the environment.
- SAFERWORLD www.saferworld.org.uk independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security
- SMALL STEPS www.smallstepsproject.org humanitarian organisation and registered charity dedicated to supporting children living on rubbish dumps around the world
- SURVIVAL INTERNATIONAL UK www.survival-international.org Worldwide organisation supporting tribal peoples through public campaigns, education and funding.
- WORLD DEVELOPMENT MOVEMENT http://www.wdm.org.uk/ UK-based campaigning organisation. Issues include poverty, food speculation, the green economy and climate justice.