Careers and Employability Service

Frequently Asked Questions


Show all


Hide all

I'm not happy on my degree course and I want to change or leave it

Start by having a look at our page for students in your position and then come in and talk to a careers adviser about your options.

Can the CES help me to find a part-time job while I study?

We do not handle vacancies for casual or part-time work – Kent Union Jobshop should be your first port of call for such work. We can, however, give you feedback on your CV, covering letter or application form for part-time work.

I have no idea what I want to do .....

See pages on Choosing a Career or the booklet of the same title, available in the Careers and Employability Service. Book an appointment to see a Careers Adviser to discuss your options.

My degree isn't really relevant to any career. What can I do?

Don't worry - the options available to you are very wide-ranging with some 40% of advertised graduate vacancies open to graduates in any subject. Many employers recruit graduates into these fields of work straight from their degree courses, and will provide whatever training and development is needed.

I want to work in ... but I'm not sure how to go about it

We get a lot of queries that begin this way and have web pages devoted to answering this question in relation to over 40 of the most frequently-mentioned careers, from Investment Banking to the Diplomatic Service and from the media to Forensic Science. These web pages give a short introduction to each career plus useful links for further information.




Careers and Employability Service - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7ND, T: +44 (0)1227 764000 ext. 3299

Last Updated: 21/06/2016