What can I do with my degree in Economics?
This list gives brief details of organisations which have in the past advertised posts for graduates for work in economic research, policy and consultancy. Many of these are likely to give preference to people with a postgraduate economics degree: the Bank of England and the Government Economic Service are the largest recruiters of undergraduate economists.
- Financial Conduct Authority The Economist Graduate Development Programme is a two and a half year rotational based development programme giving the opportunity to work in the Chief Economist Department, Competition and the Payments System Regulator and to complete a Masters in Economics before deciding where to specialise.
- Government Economic Service The UK’s largest employer of economists, with over 1200 working in 40 Government departments and agencies. They provide economic advice to policy divisions of government departments and agencies in order to formulate and execute policy. Recruit for graduate roles, year-in-industry placements and summer vacation placements.
- HM Treasury Has its own graduate scheme to recruit Policy Analysts
- Institute for Fiscal Studies Independent research institute specialising in the economic analysis of public policy, especially fiscal policy. Offers a summer vacation scheme as well as graduate opportunities.
- London Economics Advises clients in both the public and private sectors on economic and financial analysis, policy development and evaluation, business strategy, and regulatory and competition policy.
- National Institute of Economic and Social Research Britain's longest established independent research institute, founded in 1938. Carries out research which aims to improve understanding of the economic and social forces that affect people’s lives, and the ways in which policy can bring about change.
- NERA Economic Consulting Global firm of experts dedicated to applying economic, finance, and quantitative principles to complex business and legal challenges
- Bank of England Recruit undergraduate and postgraduate economists to work on the collection, analysis and interpretation of a wide range of financial and economic data. Vacation work experience and sponsorship for undergraduates
- Business Monitor International Business intelligence provider recruiting graduates into research and analysis
- Catalyst Health Economics Consultants Independent health outcomes consultancy which undertakes research projects on an international basis, particularly in relations to pharmaceuticals and diseases
- CEBR, London Independent economics and business research consultancy providing analysis, forecasts and strategic advice to companies of all sizes, financial institutions, government departments and agencies, trade bodies and the European Commission.
- Charles River Associates Global consulting firm that offers economic, financial, and business management expertise to major law firms, industries, accounting firms, and governments around the world
- Dun & Bradstreet Provides business information for credit risk management, sales & marketing and supply management decisions to over 100,000 companies worldwide.
- Economic Perspectives Research and advice for clients, mainly from the financial and media sectors, on global macroeconomic and financial issues.
- The Economist Group Economic information and analysis delivered in various formats, including The Economist.
- New Economics Foundation UK think-tank promoting social, economic and environmental justice. “Our purpose is to bring about a Great Transition – to transform the economy so that it works for people and the planet”.
- The New Policy Institute UK research institute which produces evidence-based research on a range of social and economic issues.
- OECD Young Professionals Programme for postgraduates. Also offers internships
- OFCOM Graduate programme includes an Economist pathway.
- Overseas Development Institute Fellowship Scheme recruits high-calibre postgraduate economists to work for two years in the public sectors of developing countries in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific
- Oxford Economics Independent global advisory firm, providing reports, forecasts and analytical tools on 200 countries, 100 industrial sectors and over 3,000 cities. Has a graduate scheme.
- Oxford Institute for Energy Studies Centre for advanced research into the social science aspects of energy. Offers doctoral and Masters research fellowhsips and occasional internships (for postgraduates only)
- PWC Economic Consulting
- RBB Economics provides economic advice on competition issues. Offers career opportunities for entry level economists, generally with a postgraduate degree, “however, we do offer places to some candidates who only hold an undergraduate degree, with a strong likelihood that we would sponsor an MSc after one or two years with the firm”
- SQW Ltd, Cambridge Provides research, analysis and advice on sustainable economic and social development solutions for public, private and not-for-profit organisations, with offices in London, Edinburgh, Manchester, and Cambridge. Recruits new graduates as Research Consultants.
- The World Bank Offers various graduate programmes and internships, including the Young Professionals Program (YPP)