This is a rapidly growing area, using channels such as e-mail, websites, social media and texts to promote products, services and events to a targeted audience.
The ability to take data - to be able to understand it, to process it, to extract value from it, to visualize it, to communicate it's going to be a hugely important skill in the next decades.
Digital Account Managers coordinate digital marketing campaigns and the various people involved in them. Their activities may include market research, liaison with clients, integrating digital marketing with traditional marketing methods and monitoring the impact and success of campaigns.
Search Engine Optimisers aim to increase the number of “hits” on a particular site and increase its Google ranking by persuading other key sites to link to it, and also by making sure that particular keywords are used on the site.
What Makes a Digital Marketer? – Guardian article http://careers.guardian.co.uk/careers-blog/what-makes-a-digital-marketer-ben-wardell
Interview questions for an on-line copywriter post
- What experience of software packages do you have?
- How did you use your skills to suit the packages you worked on?
- How much editing/proof-reading were you required to do on your articles?
- What experience have you had with CMS (Content Mgt Systems)?
- Have you had any editorial roles?
- How have you increased an internet site's traffic?
- How have you used social media in your publications?
- How could your improve our social media gathering?
- SEMPO www.sempo.org Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization
- The Institute of Direct Marketing www.theidm.com/qualifications/digital-marketing offers qualifications in digital marketing
- 10 Minutes With - Digital Marketing Interview. A career in digital marketing is not for everybody! You have to be sharp and on the ball, love online interaction and be quick with the ideas and plans.
- Brand Republic www.brandrepublic.com/Discipline/Digital site for the online advertising, marketing, media and PR sectors, with news, events and jobs.
- New Media Age www.nma.co.uk – magazine covering all aspects of interactive media
- Wired Sussex www.wiredsussex.com Digital media news and jobs in Sussex
- Chinwag Jobs http://jobs.chinwag.com Set up by a Kent graduate, the site lists a range of jobs in digital marketing and new media
- Neil’s Recruitment Co www.neilsrecruitment.co.uk totally non-for-profit recruitment agency for digital marketing. Resource guide for graduates www.neilsrecruitment.co.uk/rtb-resource-guide-for-graduates
Article explaining the different roles in SEO and Content Marketing
- How to get a career in online marketing www.thesnugg.com/A-Guide-To-Finding-A-Career-In-Online-Marketing.aspx.
- AdExchanger www.adexchanger.com digital media optimisation
We want Google to be the third half of your brain.
Sergey Brin Google Founder
Facebook defines who we are, Amazon defines what we want, and Google defines what we think.
Are we searching the search engines or are the search engines searching us? Instead of learning from one mind at a time, the search engine learns from the collective human mind all at once.
From Turing's Cathedral by George Dyson
- Bigmouthmedia www.bigmouthmedia.com Europe’s largest independent digital marketing agency. Have a vacancies section at www.bigmouthmedia.com/vacancies
- Dare www.daredigital.com interactive marketing agency with a graduate training scheme
- icrossing www.icrossing.co.uk/who-we-are/careers digital marketing company
- iProspect www.iprospect.com buy and track accountable media through multiple digital channels with a measureable purpose. Combine local expertise with global tools & research to track consumers through complex search and digital media environments to deliver the world’s most effective high performance marketing programs. Expecting to take 10 graduates in 2010.
- Jellyfish www.jellyfish.co.uk/agency/careers constantly looking for graduates or training interns with a vision towards a career in digital marketing. Also have offices in South Africa and Baltimore, USA with placement opportunities available.
- LBI www.lbi.co.ukmarketing and technology agency
- Profero www.profero.com A UK based interactive agency focusing solely on online marketing.
- Quba www.quba.co.uk Sheffield-based digital advertising agency
- Search Laboratory voted one of the 100 best small business to work for by the Sunday times and ranked by Deloitte as one of the fastest 500 growing technology companies in Europe Always have wide range of graduate jobs available www.searchlaboratory.com/about/careers
- Tribal DDB www.tribalddb.co.uk
- VML London http://london.vml.com digital marketing agency
The top 20 UK search agencies
(Source Marketing Services Guide 2010)
See also our pages on:
Getting your foot in the door of job related to your degree is difficult, but getting your toe in the hallway of a career path away from your degree is enormously harder. This is my story of how a leopard can change its spots.
I had graduated from UKC after studying Computers Systems Engineering, and at the time my options ranged from IT developer to Electrical engineer, but mostly staying in the technical side of business. Following graduation, I ended up working as an electrical engineer for Motorola. Although interesting at the start, the repetitive day-to-day tasks kicked in and the challenge became procedure. I managed to last a year before I quit to move on.
Back in Uni, I've found that I had a natural “common sense” when it comes to marketing and advertising and I set my heart on securing a job in the marketing industry. After 6 months of re-inventing myself, and not giving up, I finally managed to get my foot in the door.
I'm now working for a leading ecommmerce website design agency based in London as the Marketing Executive. Waking up on Monday mornings is no longer a struggle. Although I didn't have any formal qualifications to being with, I got in by demonstrating that I was capable of learning quickly in my 6 months out of work. Luckily for me, Digivate has a great culture in investing in people and as a result of talented staff, they now have has a stellar client list from Selfridges to HSS and Paperchase.
Through my experience, I found that if you have the ambition and desire, persistent job hunting will eventually pay off. The additional background knowledge in your degree will give you the advantage to help you secure a dream job in any sector.
Kun Dang, Digivate Ltd
Also see our Computing Careers page
Last fully updated 2012