This is a rapidly growing area, using channels such as e-mail, websites, social media and texts to promote products, services and events to a targeted audience.
The ability to take data - to be able to understand it, to process it, to extract value from it, to visualize it, to communicate it's going to be a hugely important skill in the next decades.
Digital Account Managers coordinate digital marketing campaigns and the various people involved in them. Their activities may include market research, liaison with clients, integrating digital marketing with traditional marketing methods and monitoring the impact and success of campaigns.
Search Engine Optimisers aim to increase the number of “hits” on a particular site and increase its Google ranking by persuading other key sites to link to it, and also by making sure that particular keywords are used on the site. Prospects Profile of SEO Specialist
What Makes a Digital Marketer? – Guardian article http://careers.guardian.co.uk/careers-blog/what-makes-a-digital-marketer-ben-wardell
What the work involves
- Social media marketing: building up an online presence by attracting internet followers.
- Search engine optimisation: increasing the number of visitors to a website.
- Mobile marketing: through apps and sms.
- Contributing to blogs.
- Uploading images to the company website.
- Conducting key research and web statistics reporting.
- Keeping up to date with digital trends.
Interview questions for an on-line copywriter post
- What experience of software packages do you have?
- How did you use your skills to suit the packages you worked on?
- How much editing/proof-reading were you required to do on your articles?
- What experience have you had with CMS (Content Mgt Systems)?
- Have you had any editorial roles?
- How have you increased an internet site's traffic?
- How have you used social media in your publications?
- How could your improve our social media gathering?
- Bubble Jobs www.bubble-jobs.co.uk/career_portal superb information on all aspects of a career in digital marketing
Digital Career Finder Quiz: tells you which digital marketing roles would most suit you
- The Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing www.theidm.com/qualifications/digital-marketing offers qualifications in digital marketing
- 10 Minutes With - Digital Marketing Interview. A career in digital marketing is not for everybody! You have to be sharp and on the ball, love online interaction and be quick with the ideas and plans.
IDM Marketing Summer School 27 June - 1st July 2016 A free, week-long, residential where final year students learn what it’s really like to work in marketing. Includes a visit to a top London agency, tackling a real marketing brief and meeting top professionals with graduate vacancies to fill. Students from all degree disciplines invited to apply. Watch this video of students who’ve attended the summer school. Application deadline: 12 February 2016 Web: http://theidm.com/summerschool
Creative Data School 21st - 23rd March 2016 Students who are great with numbers or analytics are highly sought-after in the marketing profession. Data Discovery shows students how the ability to make sense of customer data and turn that insight into marketing ideas can reap huge rewards for skilled data people. Big data is dramatically changing the marketing profession, opening doors for numeric graduates into a high-impact, fast-paced career. Another free, intensely hands-on week that opens doors and gets you ahead. Application deadline: 31 January 2016 Web: http://theidm.com/datadiscovery Designed specifically for final year students studying numerical and analytical degree subjects such as mathematical science, operational research, economics, business and psychology. It’s free (meals and accommodation included) and takes place in Teddington, SW London. This great opportunity which opens doors and gets them ahead in this fascinating and rewarding field of marketing. Video on the summer school
- SEMPO www.sempo.org Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization
- Brand Republic www.brandrepublic.com/Discipline/Digital site for the online advertising, marketing, media and PR sectors, with news, events and jobs.
- New Media Age www.nma.co.uk – magazine covering all aspects of interactive media
- Wired Sussex www.wiredsussex.com Digital media news and jobs in Sussex
- Chinwag Jobs http://jobs.chinwag.com Set up by a Kent graduate, the site lists a range of jobs in digital marketing and new media
- Neil’s Recruitment Co www.neilsrecruitment.co.uk totally non-for-profit recruitment agency for digital marketing. Resource guide for graduates www.neilsrecruitment.co.uk/rtb-resource-guide-for-graduates
- Spotlight Recruitment www.spotlightrecruitment.com London-based agency specialised in sourcing talent across a range of marketing roles, including generalist marketing, digital marketing, communications, email marketing, creative and agency, media and more. Also assist candidates with their Careers Clinics.
- Opilio Recruitment www.opiliorecruitment.co.uk Digital Media, Mobile & Technology recruitment specialists working with big companies such as Universal Music, BBC, Disney and Penguin Random House UK. With offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester, we have the network and the reputation to make things happen. Established in 2010, we have consistently grown our business, being awarded numerous awards for our services in the past 2 years.
- Mad jobs http://jobs.mad.co.uk/jobs/journalism-copywriter-writer has copywriting posts
- Ignite.Digital Talent www.ignite.digital specialist digital recruitment agency
- Article explaining the different roles in SEO and Content Marketing
- How to get a career in online marketing www.thesnugg.com/A-Guide-To-Finding-A-Career-In-Online-Marketing.aspx.
- AdExchanger www.adexchanger.com digital media optimisation
- Akita's Guide to Online Marketing www.akita.co.uk/resources/online-marketing-guide
- Career Infographic – Insight and Intelligence Industry www.mustardmarketing.com/career-infographic
- Is Your SEO Campaign Ready for 2015?
- The End of Advertising As We Know It
- Tips on entering digital marketing - Daily Telegraph
- So you think you chose to read this article? BBC machine learning algorithms in digital marketing
We want Google to be the third half of your brain.
Sergey Brin, Google Founder
Facebook defines who we are, Amazon defines what we want, and Google defines what we think.
Are we searching the search engines or are the search engines searching us? Instead of learning from one mind at a time, the search engine learns from the collective human mind all at once.
From Turing's Cathedral by George Dyson
- Bigmouthmedia www.bigmouthmedia.com Europe’s largest independent digital marketing agency. Have a vacancies section at www.bigmouthmedia.com/vacancies
- Dare www.daredigital.com interactive marketing agency with a graduate training scheme
- Deeson - Canterbury www.deeson.co.uk/careers digital design and marketing. Recruit in web development and digital marketing www.deeson.co.uk/student-and-graduate-recruitment Every month Deeson run a Digibury meet-up event on the University of Kent campus for digital and creative types - well worth attending!
- icrossing www.icrossing.co.uk/who-we-are/careers digital marketing company
- iProspect www.iprospect.com buy and track accountable media through multiple digital channels with a measureable purpose. Combine local expertise with global tools & research to track consumers through complex search and digital media environments to deliver the world’s most effective high performance marketing programs. Expecting to take 10 graduates in 2010.
- Jellyfish www.jellyfish.co.uk/agency/careers constantly looking for graduates or training interns with a vision towards a career in digital marketing. Also have offices in South Africa and Baltimore, USA with placement opportunities available.
- LBI www.lbi.co.ukmarketing and technology agency
- Profero www.profero.com A UK based interactive agency focusing solely on online marketing.
- Reddico www.reddico.co.uk Co-founded by a Kent Graduate, Reddico are a digital agency based in Maidstone and are constantly on the look out for graduates and interns to join their team. A wide range of digital careers are available with full training and support.
- Quba www.quba.co.uk Sheffield-based digital advertising agency
- Search Laboratory voted one of the 100 best small business to work for by the Sunday times and ranked by Deloitte as one of the fastest 500 growing technology companies in Europe Always have wide range of graduate jobs available www.searchlaboratory.com/about/careers
- Sumo Creative www.sumo-creative.co.uk/jobs digital media head-hunting agency in Bromley. Recruit for roles at every level in all areas of digital media/marketing including search, social media, creative, performance, content and sales. Looking to employ a graduate to join recruitment team in the next few months.
- Tribal DDB www.tribalddb.co.uk
- VML London http://london.vml.com digital marketing agency
- Atom 42 atom42 London. Employer of graduates and entry level digital professionals. Have a graduate specific event coming up and will continue to look for grads to join the company.
The top 20 UK search agencies
(Source Marketing Services Guide 2010)
See also our pages on:
Getting your foot in the door of job related to your degree is difficult, but getting your toe in the hallway of a career path away from your degree is enormously harder. This is my story of how a leopard can change its spots.
I had graduated from UKC after studying Computers Systems Engineering, and at the time my options ranged from IT developer to Electrical engineer, but mostly staying in the technical side of business. Following graduation, I ended up working as an electrical engineer for Motorola. Although interesting at the start, the repetitive day-to-day tasks kicked in and the challenge became procedure. I managed to last a year before I quit to move on.
Back in Uni, I've found that I had a natural “common sense” when it comes to marketing and advertising and I set my heart on securing a job in the marketing industry. After 6 months of re-inventing myself, and not giving up, I finally managed to get my foot in the door.
I'm now working for a leading ecommmerce website design agency based in London as the Marketing Executive. Waking up on Monday mornings is no longer a struggle. Although I didn't have any formal qualifications to being with, I got in by demonstrating that I was capable of learning quickly in my 6 months out of work. Luckily for me, Digivate has a great culture in investing in people and as a result of talented staff, they now have has a stellar client list from Selfridges to HSS and Paperchase.
Through my experience, I found that if you have the ambition and desire, persistent job hunting will eventually pay off. The additional background knowledge in your degree will give you the advantage to help you secure a dream job in any sector.
Kun Dang, Digivate Ltd
Also see our Computing Careers page
Last fully updated 2015