I Want to Work …with Children



Often when students say this to careers advisers, they immediately follow it with “but I don't want to be a teacher”

So what other careers involve working with children? Here are a few ideas:

These are just some opportunities where working with children will be a possible career path or where work with children is an important, although not always the only, part of the work.

And, if you do want to teach (or are prepared to consider teaching) see I Want to Work In Teaching www.kent.ac.uk/careers/siteach.htmteach

Useful links:

Voluntary Work

This is an excellent way of gaining career-related experience in this type of work, part-time while studying or full-time during vacations or after graduation. Many full-time “voluntary” opportunities provide board and lodging and pocket money.

CRB checks

For all work with children, young people or vulnerable adults you will need to get a Criminal Records Bureau check.

The current legislation does not allow individuals to apply for a CRB check on themselves – this must be done by the organisation for which you will be working.

There are two ways of applying for a Disclosure. You will either be asked to:


Unbreakable toys are good for breaking other toys.


In both instances, you will be asked to provide your name, address and date of birth, along with the Registered Body name and number, and the level of Disclosure. This will help the person who asked you to apply confirm your identity. A guidance booklet on how to complete the form will be provided.

There is an applicants' guide at

Last fully updated 2012