I want to work in ..... Law
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Here you will find information on a career in law including work as a solicitor and as a barrister, paralegal work and other careers related to law, information on the professional training courses and links to major legal employers.
- For an overview of the legal sector, see www.prospects.ac.uk/law_sector.htm
- For an outline of the main roles in the legal profession, see www.kent.ac.uk/careers/law.htm
- The University of Law’s website www.law.ac.uk includes useful information on the English legal system, types of legal career, skills required and routes to qualification
- The Beginner’s Guide to a Career in Law – excellent basic introduction from LawCareers.Net. Pick up a copy from the careers Service or download the digital version from www.lawcareers.net/BeginnersGuide/Intro
Becoming a Barrister or Solicitor
A diagram of the route for graduates to become solicitors or barristers, with explanations of each stage is at: www.lawcareers.net/Information/Timetables/Basic
The sites below include a great deal of general information about the legal profession, career paths, qualifications and employers.
- Law Careers Net www.lawcareers.net general advice on legal careers, training and employers, with searchable databases of training contract and pupillage providers (including vacation placements)
- Target Jobs http://targetjobs.co.uk/law legal careers, training contracts, pupillages and expert advice
- The Beginner’s Guide to a Career in Law Digital edition at www.lawcareers.net/digitaled/45daf9f4-e5aa-463e-a173-9048c02b805e/edition.htm or download the brochure from www.lawcareers.net/BeginnersGuide/Intro
- Chambers & Partners Student Guide www.chambersstudent.co.uk Information on firms, chambers (mainly commercial) and practice areas. The "True Picture" section provides an insider's view on what it is really like to work for the top 100 law firms, compiled from confidential interviews with trainees. There is also information on career choice, vocational course providers and deadlines.
- The Legal 500 www.legal500.com in-depth survey of firms, in the UK and worldwide
- Lawyer 2B Magazine www.lawyer2B.com news and features for anyone interested in a career in law
- The Lawyer www.thelawyer.com legal news and vacancies from the weekly Lawyer newspaper
- Prospects Law Magazine http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/4ee9b968#/4ee9b968/1
- All About Law www.allaboutlaw.co.uk inside information, tips and advice on all aspects of a career in law, plus discussion forums and blogs from trainees, pupils and lawyers.
- Legal Week www.legalweek.com good background on law firms and current issues in the profession, plus a career clinic and a student section
- Law and Legal www.lawandlegal.co.uk Careers advice, solicitors and news
www.lawandlegal.co.uk/careers job profiles, relevant news and application advice.
- Real World Magazine: Law www.realworldmagazine.com/law
- Young Lawyer www.younglawyer.co.uk Magazine aimed at new and future legal professionals with information on qualifying, specialisations and career development
- Solicitors Journal www.solicitorsjournal.com
- WikiJob www.wikijob.co.uk/industry/law-legal information about legal employers and law firms (including graduate interview tips)
- The Times www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/law
- The Guardian www.guardian.co.uk/law
- Guide to qualifying as a solicitor for non-law students www.lawconvert.co.uk
- All About Law for non-law students http://allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/law-conversion-course
- Qualification checklist for non-law graduates www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/checklist-for-non-law-graduates
- The Central Applications Board lists, and links to, universities where you can take these courses (the CPE/GDL) www.lawcabs.ac.uk
- Lawyer 2B article http://l2b.thelawyer.com/careers/degrees-of-change-making-the-conversion-to-law/3012523.article trainees, barristers and Kaplan Law School staff discuss career decisions and how to pursue a legal career as a non-law student.
- The Law Society www.lawsociety.org.uk includes links to the Solicitors Online directory, the Law Society's Gazette (see below) and specialist areas of practice
- Junior Lawyers Division of Law Society http://juniorlawyers.lawsociety.org.uk – represents student members and trainees
- Solicitors Regulation Authority www.sra.org.uk/students/home.page information on becoming a solicitor
- The Central Applications Board www.lawcabs.ac.uk - lists LPC and CPE/GDL courses
- Solicitors Online www.solicitors-online.com - produced by the Law Society, this allows you to choose a location and obtain a complete list of firms in that area
- The Law Society's Gazette online www.lawgazette.co.uk - includes job vacancies
- Legal Aid Practitioners Group www.lapg.co.uk - includes directory of firms providing publicly funded legal services and occasional advertisements for training contracts in this area of practice
- Law Works http://lawworks.org.ukindependent charity to support a commitment to pro bono across the solicitors' profession.
- Trainee Solicitor Surgery www.traineesolicitorsurgery.co.uk e-book. Specialist careers advice on how to get a solicitor's training contract
The “Magic Circle” – the top 5 UK firms, all with clients and offices worldwide
- Allen & Overy www.allenovery.com
- Clifford Chance www.CliffordChance.com
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer www.freshfields.com
- Linklaters www.linklaters.com one of the largest international firms
- Slaughter & May www.slaughterandmay.com international corporate, commercial and financial practice
The “Silver Circle” – firms ranking just below the Magic Circle but with a similar scope and range of work
- Ashursts www.ashurst.com
- Berwin Leighton Paisner www.blplaw.com
- S J Berwin www.sjberwin.com
- Herbert Smith Freehills www.herbertsmith.com
- Macfarlanes www.macfarlanes.com
- Travers Smith www.traverssmith.com/graduaterecruitment
American firms in London
- Baker & McKenzie www.bakermckenzie.com
- Jones Day www.jonesdaylondon.com/recruit
- Mayer, Brown www.mayerbrown.com/London
- Milbank www.milbank.com/careers/global-career-opportunities/london/graduate-recruitment-1.html one of the first US-based law firms to open in London. Also has offices in Germany, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Brazil.
- Shearman & Sterling http://ukgraduates.shearman.com
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom www.skadden.com
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges www.weil.com/ukrecruiting
- White & Case www.whitecasetrainee.com
- US firms in the UK www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/types-of-law-firm/us-firms-in-the-uk a guide from Chambers Student setting out US firms in London: what they do and which of them offer training contracts.
Other City and commercial firmsMany of these are international and offer excellent career prospects so don’t just focus on the firms in the categories above!
- Bird & Bird www.twobirds.com international firm with focus on communications, IT, media, sport, life sciences, banking & financial services and aviation
- Clyde & Co www.clydeco.comglobal law firm with core sectors in aviation, energy, infrastructure, insurance, marine, and trade
- CMS Cameron McKenna www.cmstalklaw.com- part of a group of nine leading European firms
- Dechert www.dechert.com
- SNR Denton www.snrdenton.com international commercial firm serving clients in the energy/transport/infrastructure, financial, real estate & retail, technology/media and telecoms sectors
- Eversheds www.eversheds.comlarge full-service international firm covering company commercial, real estate, human resources & pensions and litigation
- Hogan Lovells www.hoganlovells.com global firm with over 2,300 lawyers operating out of more than 40 offices around the world.
- Ince & Co www.incelaw.com international law firm. Offices in Dubai, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Le Havre, London, Paris, Piraeus, Shanghai and Singapore. Practise English, French, German, UAE (including Shariah Law) and Hong Kong law.
- Nabarro LLP www.nabarro.com Offers a broad range of corporate legal services to major national and international clients.
- Norton Rose www.nortonrose.com City and international firm
- Osborne Clarke www.osborneclarke.com Commercial firm with offices in London, Bristol, Thames Valley, Cologne and California
- Pinsent Masons www.pinsentmasons.com commercial firm focusing on energy/utilities, infrastructure/construction, financial services/insurance, manufacturing/engineering, government, real estate and technology
- Pritchard Englefield www.pe-legal.com medium-sized international City firm practising a mixture of commercial and private client law. “We look for applicants with fluency in French or German in addition to English”
- Reed Smith www.reedsmith.com commercial firm, strong in shipping and media and with offices in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the USA
- Silverman Sherliker www.silvermansherliker.co.uk Commercial & Corporate Law. London law firm providing an extensive range of legal services to corporate, commercial and private clients.
- Speechly Bircham www.speechlys.com mid-sized City firm well known for its work in the financial services sector, notably investment and wealth management, and for private client work in the UK and internationally.
- Taylor Wessing www.taylorwessing.com corporate law, intellectual property, technology, finance, real estate
- Watson Farley & Williams www.wfw.com. Specialise in international finance and investment, maritime and energy
Medium-sized and niche (specialist) firms in London
- Bindmans LLP www.bindmans.com - specializes in human rights law, criminal law and clinical negligence.
- Forsters www.forsters.co.uk Mayfair firm best known for its property and private client work but also has important corporate, commercial and litigation practices.
- Fox Williams www.foxwilliams.com Business law firm with specialisations including corporate, dispute resolution, employment, financial services and regulatory, business immigration, intellectual property, international trade, partnership real estate and tax.
- Hempsons www.hempsons.co.uk leading lawyers to the healthcare sector, charities and the caring professions
- Hodge Jones & Allen www.hja.net north London firm with a practice covering crime, housing, personal injury, medical negligence, family, property, employment, human rights, wills & probate.
- Lewis Silkin www.lewissilkin.com well known for employment, advertising and marketing law
- Prolegal Solicitors www.prolegaljobs.co.uk recruits Kent graduates. Fast moving London firm with open opportunities for advancement.
- Stone King LLP www.stoneking.co.uk leading niche law firm in London - very well known for specialist work in Charity and Education.
- Volterra Fietta www.volterrafietta.com “The world's only public international law firm and London's only international arbitration firm”. Offers internships.
- Withers LLP http://graduatecareers.withersworldwide.com/eu “international law firm dedicated to advising successful people, their families and their businesses”
Regional firms – South-East England
- ASB Law www.asb-law.com One of the leading providers of legal services to both corporate and private clients in the south-east, with offices in Maidstone and Crawley
- Birketts www.birketts.co.uk/careers business and private client firm with 4 offices in Chelmsford, Cambridge, Ipswich and Norwich. Offers approximately 8 training contracts a year.
- Brachers www.brachers.co.uk Maidstone firm handling both commercial and private client work
- Coffin Mew www.coffinmew.co.uk One of the largest regional firms on the south coast with four offices in Hampshire offering a full range of services to businesses, organisations and private clients in the UK and beyond.
- Cripps www.cripps.co.uk regional law firm with offices in Tunbridge Wells, Kings Hill, Sandwich and London. Recognised nationally for both commercial and private client work. The firm focuses on wealthier families, entrepreneurial businesses and the real estate sector.
- DMH Stallard www.dmhstallard.com large South-East firm with offices in Gatwick and London
- Employment Relations Solicitors www.employment-relations.co.uk specialist solicitors in Elham, near Canterbury, covering all aspects of workplace law. Can offer work experience to law students.
- Furley Page www.furleypage.co.uk Offices in Canterbury, Chatham, Whitstable and London
- Gaby Hardwicke www.gabyhardwicke.co.uk major Sussex firm with offices in Eastbourne, Bexhill, Cooden and Hastings. Specialist departments include Commercial, Private Client, Residential conveyancing, Family and Personal Injury.
- Girlings www.girlings.com commercial and private client firm with offices in Canterbury, Thanet and Ashford
- Kaslers www.kentsolicitor.co.uk Solicitors firm originally based in London, but now in Teston, near Maidstone, Kent. Undertakes a wide variety of legal work
- Kingsley Smith www.kslaw.co.uk based in Chatham, Kent. Best known for contributions to planning law with both private and corporate clients across the country.
- Mowll & Mowll www.mowll.co.uk Dover firm dealing with commercial property, company law, probate, conveyancing, family and civil litigation including employment
- Palmers www.palmerslaw.co.uk - one of the largest law firms in Essex with three offices on the doorstep of the Thames Gateway serving both commercial and private clients
- Parry Law www.parrylaw.co.uk Commercial and private client firm with offices in Herne Bay and Whitstable
- Penningtons LLP www.penningtons.co.uk offices in London, Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire offering a range of commercial and private client work.
- SpainWilliams www.spainwilliams.com Growing regional family law specialist law firm with offices and meeting rooms in Ashford, Maidstone, Kings Hill, Sevenoaks, and Tunbridge Wells. Innovative dispersed model specialist family law firm recognised for the quality and experience of its family law consultant solicitors.
- Stevens & Bolton LLP www.stevens-bolton.co.uk medium-sized, predominantly commercial, firm based in Guildford.
- Thomson Snell & Passmore www.ts-p.co.uk wide-ranging general practice based in Tunbridge Wells
- Whitehead Monckton www.whitehead-monckton.co.uk one of the largest firms in Kent, with offices in Maidstone and Tenterden, handling both commercial and private client work
Other regional firms
- Camps www.camplaw.co.uk/jobs.php personal injury/road traffic accident firm in NW
- Farleys www.Farleys.com Over 80 lawyers and 6 offices in the North-West
- Harvey Ingram www.harveyingram.com large full-service firm based in Leicester. Departments include company/commercial, dispute resolution, employment, clinical negligence, family, sports law and property.
- Irwin Mitchell http://traineerecruitment.irwinmitchell.com large firm with nine offices throughout the UK, two in Spain and a mixture of private client and commercial work
- Nelsons www.nelsonslaw.co.uk Nottingham.
- Pannone LLP www.Pannone.com Manchester firm covering both commercial and private client work with strong personal injury and clinical negligence practices
- Shoosmiths www.shoosmiths.co.uk large national and regional practice with eight offices: commercial and private client work
These include telephone and online legal advice; “packaged” legal services; document assembly packages; ‘virtual’ law firms and "white label" legal services (services provided by law firms but sold to customers of another organisation, such as an insurance or travel company, under their own brand name. Many of these providers focus on private client work.
As the number of traditional training contracts continues to fall, these companies may provide an alternative route into the legal profession.
Initial roles for graduates in these organisations are usually as paralegals or case handlers. These roles may offer the opportunity to progress into a training contract.
- Access Legal www.access-legal.co.uk the consumer brand of Shoosmiths covering conveyancing, landlord and tenant, personal injury, wills and probate etc. Recruit case handlers and paralegals.
- Co-operative Legal Services www.co-operative.jobs/legal-services the legal arm of the Co-op, offering personal injury, will writing, probate and estate administration, conveyancing, employment law and family law services. Recruits graduates as “career paralegals” through its Management Pathway.
- Legal365.com http://legal365.com Provder of online legal documents and services. Owned and operated by Yorkshire law firm LCF Law, which recruits trainees http://lcf.co.uk/people/training-contracts
- Parabis Law www.parabisresourcing.co.uk/services/Graduates.aspx Core Legal Training Programme for graduates in any subject (2.2 minimum) provides on and off the job training, whilst undertaking a ‘starter’ role as a File Inceptor, Client Administrator or Legal Assistant. After twelve months, graduates choose one of three training pathways: Trainee Technical Coordinator, Trainee Team Leader or Trainee Solicitor.
- QualitySolicitors www.qualitysolicitors.com/careers national network of law firms working as part of the QualitySolicitors brand. Currently there are 100 firms part of the network which represents 200 branches across the UK.
- Riverview Law www.riverviewlaw.com Recruits Business Law executives (paralegals) – the typical entry route for candidates for Training Contracts.
- Legal Futures www.legalfutures.co.uk news coverage on alternative business structures, new market entrants, regulatory change and innovation in all its forms. Includes a Services Directory of ABS firms.
For further background on alternative legal services, the firms providing them and how they may develop in the future see:
- Tomorrow’s Lawyers by Richard Susskind. Explores alternative roles for future lawyers, such as “legal knowledge engineer”, “legal technologist”, “legal process analyst”, “legal project manager”, “ODR (online dispute resolution) manager”, “legal management consultant” and “legal risk manager” . Available to Kent students via EBL e-book library www.kent.ac.uk/library/resources/ebooks/index.html
- Face to Face Legal Services and Their Alternatives: Global Lessons from the Digital Revolution byRoger Smith and Alan Paterson. Assesses the current use of phone and internet legal advice and information projects around the world and how this might evolve in the near future. www.strath.ac.uk/media/faculties/hass/law/cpls/Face_to_Face.pdf
- Lawyer2B http://l2b.thelawyer.com/home/insight/crystal-ball-will-the-future-of-the-legal-profession-be-heavenly-or-hellish/3010560.article
- An article on alternative business structures from LawCareers.Net (February 2015)
The above list is only a selection: the databases above provide more comprehensive and searchable listings. Inclusion in this list does not imply any recommendation of these particular firms by the Careers and Employability Service.
- The General Council of the Bar www.barcouncil.org.uk includes advice on “Becoming a Barrister” www.barcouncil.org.uk/becoming-a-barrister
- Bar Education & Training: Bar Standards Board www.barstandardsboard.org.uk
- Pupillage Portal www.pupillageportal.com the Bar’s official online pupillage application system
- Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/qualifying-as-a-barrister/bar-professional-training-course Information about the course, application timetable and application procedure
- “Your Career as a Barrister” www.barcouncil.org.uk/media/193781/career_brochure_pages.pdf Bar Council brochure covering information on career paths, training, the four Inns of Court, funding and life at the Bar
- Videoed talks given at the 2012 National Pupillage Fair in London
http://targetjobs.co.uk/events/146633?tab=talks-programme#tabs-start Topics include Human Rights Law, Criminal Law, Public Law, Commercial Law, Family Law and Financing your Career at the Bar
- The Barrister Magazine www.barristermagazine.com independent magazine for practising barristers including news, link, events and a list of chambers
- Qualifying as a barrister 'may cost new students up to £127,000'
The four Inns of Court provide support for barristers and students through a range of educational activities, lunching and dining facilities, access to common rooms and gardens and the provision of various grants and scholarships.
Anyone wishing to join the Bar must join one of the Inns, which are responsible for "Calling" barristers to the Bar. You can join as a student member while you are still at University.
- Gray's Inn www.graysinn.org.uk
What’s the difference between a good lawyer and a great lawyer?
A good lawyer knows the law.
A great lawyer knows the judge.
Actually Said in Court
Barrister: Doctor, isn’t it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he doesn’t know about it until the next morning?
Witness: Did you actually pass the bar exam?
Barrister: What is your date of birth?
Witness: July fifteenth.
Barrister: What year?
Witness: Every year.
Barrister: What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?
Witness: Gucci sweats and Reeboks.
Barrister: Did you blow your horn or anything?
Witness: After the accident?
Barrister: Before the accident.
Witness: Sure, I played for ten years. I even went to school for it.
Barrister: How old is your son-the one living with you.
Witness: Thirty-eight or thirty-five, I can't remember which.
Barrister: How long has he lived with you?
Witness: Forty-five years.
Barrister: Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in the voodoo or occult?
Witness: We both do.
Witness: We do.
Barrister: You do?
Witness: Yes, voodoo.
- Inner Temple www.innertemple.org.uk
- Lincoln's Inn www.lincolnsinn.org.uk
- Middle Temple www.middletemple.org.uk
- Becket Chambers www.becket-chambers.co.uk wide-ranging general set of chambers in Canterbury
- 7 Bedford Row www.7br.co.uk crime, child & family law, clinical negligence, employment, personal injury etc
- 25 Bedford Row www.25bedfordrow.com leading specialist criminal defence set
- Blackstone Chambers www.blackstonechambers.com - commercial, public and employment law
- Charter Chambers www.charterchambers.com leading criminal law set
- Cloisters www.cloisters.com employment, equality, discrimination and human rights, personal injury and clinical negligence, media and sport, and public and regulatory law
- One Crown Office Row www.1cor.com wide range of civil law specialisms
- Devereux Chambers www.devchambers.co.uk commercial, employment and common law
- Doughty Street Chambers www.doughtystreet.co.uk civil liberties and human rights emphasis
- Ely Place www.elyplace.com civil and commercial litigation
- Enterprise Chamberswww.enterprisechambers.com leading commercial chancery set
- 39 Essex Street www.39essex.com Common, Commercial, Public and Environmental and Planning law
- Exchange Chambers www.exchangechambers.co.uk Liverpool and Manchester
- Furnival Chambers www.furnivallaw.co.uk criminal law specialists
- Garden Court Chambers www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk work includes civil liberties, criminal defence, immigration, etc
- Guildford Chambers www.guildfordbarristers.com criminal, civil and family law work in Surrey
- Harcourt Chambers www.harcourtchambers.law.co.uk family law and civil litigation
- Hardwicke Building www.hardwicke.co.uk - all branches of civil, criminal and family law
- 3 Hare Court www.3harecourt.com commercial and common law
- 4 King’s Bench Walk www.4kbw.co.uk most areas of common law
- 11KBW www.11kbw.com commercial, public and employment law
- Lamb Chambers www.lambchambers.co.uk commercial, personal injury/clinical negligence, property
- Littleton Chambers www.littletonchambers.com specialists in employment law and commercial litigation
- Maidstone Chambers www.maidstonechambers.co.uklitigation and criminal law
- Matrix Chambers www.matrixlaw.co.uk wide range of disciplines including UK public, private and criminal law, as well as European Union law, human rights law and public international law
- 15 New Bridge Street www.15nbs.com
- New Court Chambers www.newcourtchambers.com specialist family law chambers with an annexe in Rome
- 4 New Square www.4newsquare.com commercial and civil set with particular expertise in professional liability
- Number 5 Chambers www.no5.com Birmingham, London and Bristol
- 13 Old Square www.13oldsquare.com chancery and commercial law
- Old Square Chambers www.oldsquarechambers.co.uk employment, personal injury and environmental law
- Outer Temple Chambers www.outertemple.com Offers a pupillage and scholarship scheme in conjunction with the Free Representation Unit for people who “have shown a practical commitment to pro bono work”
- 3 Paper Buildings www.3paper.co.uk large set covering all aspects of common and chancery law
- 4 Paper Buildings www.4pb.com family and civil law. The Head of Chambers, Jonathan Cohen QC, is a Kent graduate
- Parklane Plowden Chambers www.parklaneplowden.co.uk “Northern base (Leeds & Newcastle) with a national presence”. Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence, Family, Chancery & Commercial and Employment.
- Pump Court Chambers www.3pumpcourt.com broad range of common law, family and criminal work from chambers in London, Winchester and Swindon
- 6 Pump Court www.6pumpcourt.co.uk common law set with annexe in Maidstone
- Quadrant Chambers www.quadrantchambers.com commercial chambers (formerly 4 Essex Court)
- QEB Hollis Whiteman www.qebholliswhiteman.co.uk crime, fraud and regulatory work
- 5 Raymond Buildings www.5rb.co.uk media and entertainment law
- Renaissance Chambers www.renaissancechambers.co.uk family and immigration law
- 18 Red Lion Court www.18rlc.co.uk criminal law specialists
- Serle Court www.serlecourt.co.uk commercial and chancery practice
- 5 St Andrew’s Hill www.5sah.co.ukcriminal and civil law; asset forfeiture and confiscation
- Stour Chambers www.stourchambers.co.uk civil, family and criminal set based in Canterbury
- Temple Gardens Chambers http://tgchambers.com includes personal injury, clinical negligence, employment and public international law
- Westgate Chambers www.westgate-chambers.co.uk East Sussex and London. Crime, family and civil law, including immigration
- Wilberforce Chambers www.wilberforce.co.uk commercial/chancery set
Again, this list is only a selection: the databases above provide more comprehensive and searchable listings. Inclusion in this list does not imply any recommendation of these particular chambers by the Careers and Employability Service.
- Group for Solicitors with Disabilities www.gsdnet.org.uk
- The Society of Visually Impaired Lawyers www.sovil.org.uk
- Deaf Lawyers UK www.deaflawyers.org.uk
- LawCare www.lawcare.org.uk help and advice for lawyers on depression, addiction, emotional and stress-related issues
- Society of Asian Lawyers www.societyofasianlawyers.org
- Association of Muslim Lawyers www.aml.org.uk
- Black Solicitors Network www.blacksolicitorsnetwork.co.uk a Law Society recognised group
- Black Lawyers Directory www.onlinebld.com listing of UK individual black minority ethnic (BME) lawyers and UK organisations with at least one BME lawyer. The site includes careers advice for BME students.
- The Association of Women Barristers www.womenbarristers.co.uk
- The Association of Women Solicitors www.womensolicitors.org.uk
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) London www.seo-london.org not for profit organisation that helps outstanding penultimate year under-graduate students from under-represented ethnic minority backgrounds to gain summer internships at some of the most prestigious corporate law firms.
Two lawyers went into a restaurant and ordered two drinks. Then they produced sandwiches from their briefcases and started to eat.
The owner becoming quite concerned, marched over and told them, “You can’t eat your own sandwiches in here!”
The lawyers looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders and then exchanged sandwiches.
- The Institute of Barristers' Clerks www.ibc.org.uk
- The Council of Licensed Conveyancers www.conveyancer.org.uk
- Law Centres Federation www.lawcentres.org.uk
- Association of Costs Lawyers www.alcd.org.uk
- The Crown Prosecution Service www.cps.gov.uk/careers
- The Government Legal Service www.gls.gov.uk
- Her Majesty's Courts & Tribunals Service www.justice.gov.uk/about/hmcts
- Ministry of Justice www.justice.gov.uk
- Criminal Cases Review Commission www.justice.gov.uk/about/criminal-cases-review-commission
- Criminal Records Bureau www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/crb/
- Law Commission http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/
- The Legal Services Commissionwww.legalservices.gov.uk
- The Free Representation Unit www.thefru.net
- The Citizenship Foundation www.citizenshipfoundation.org.uk
- Solicitors in Local Government www.slgov.org.uk/careers/clg
- Institute of Paralegals www.instituteofparalegals.org
- ILEX Paralegal Programmes www.ilex.org.uk/study/paralegal_qualifications.aspx part of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives
- National Association of Licensed Paralegals www.nationalparalegals.com
- What happens to law graduates caught out in the paralegal cold? The Guardian
Other useful sites
- British Institute of Verbatim Reporters www.bivr.org.uk
- Merrill Legal Solutions http://mls.merrillcorp.com
Recruitment agencies and jobs boards
Below, we list some agencies and job sites which specialise in law-related posts, but their inclusion here should not be taken to imply any recommendation. Few, if any, will recruit for training contracts - paralegal work is more likely and, even here, experience and a further qualification is normally required.
For guidelines on using recruitment agencies and a listing of more generalist agencies, go to www.kent.ac.uk/careers/recruit.htm
- Alford & Bishop www.alfordbishop.co.uk run by a Kent graduate, this agency recruits solicitors and legal support staff for positions across the south of England
- Badenoch & Clark www.badenochandclark.com/Legal-Jobs.aspx
- GR Law www.grlaw.co.uk Recruit lawyers, paralegals, legal secretaries and other legal support staff for law firms and in-house legal departments in London.
- Hays www.hays.co.uk/job/legal-jobs/index.htm
- LawCrossing www.lawcrossing.co.uk - legal jobsearch website, including summer placements for students and paralegal work
- Legal Week Jobs www.legalweekjobs.com a legal recruitment website covering a wide range of legal jobs including graduate/trainee, paralegal, legal secretarial and support jobs from legal recruitment consultants, companies and law firms
- Michael Page Legal www.michaelpage.co.uk/our-expertise/legal-recruitment
- Legal Jobs Board www.legaljobsboard.co.uk online legal recruitment portal featuring vacancies for legal secretaries, paralegals and various legal executive positions within the UK.
- Simply Law Jobs www.simplylawjobs.com paralegal jobs, solicitor jobs and legal secretary jobs.
- Taylor Root www.taylorroot.com International legal and compliance recruitment
- Ten-Percent Legal Recruitment www.ten-percent.co.uk site includes advice on applications, interviews and law careers generally, plus a discussion forum. Occasional vacancies for students seeking work experience www.ten-percent.co.uk/legalworkexperience.html
- Totally Legal www.totallylegal.com Site includes paralegal jobs, careers and CV advice
- The Law Society of Scotland www.lawscot.org.uk
- Scottish Law Firm Directory www.scottishlaw.org.uk/lawfirms
- The Faculty of Advocates www.advocates.org.uk
- Solicitors in Scotland with a website from Delia Venables www.venables.co.uk/firmscota.htm
- Solicitor, Scotland Occupational Profile www.prospects.ac.uk/links/SolicitorScot
- Scottish Paralegal Association www.scottish-paralegal.org.uk
- The Law Society of Ireland www.lawsociety.ie
- The Law Society of Northern Ireland www.lawsoc-ni.org
- The Honorable Society of King's Inns www.kingsinns.ie
- The Bar Council of Northern Ireland www.barlibrary.com
- GradIreland.com http://gradireland.com/career-sectors/law-legal-services-and-patents
- Solicitors and Legal Sites in Ireland by Delia Venables www.venables.co.uk/ireland.htm
- Solicitors in Northern Ireland with a website by Delia Venables www.venables.co.uk/firmnort.htm
The above organisations offer 5-month stages (traineeships) to law graduates
- The College of Europe www.coleurop.be offers Masters degrees in European Studies (with law as one of the options available) taught through English and French at campuses in Bruges and Warsaw
- The European University Institute, Florence www.iue.it structured doctoral programmes in law from a European perspective
- European Master in Law & Economics www.emle.org study for an LLM in two or three European universities. Scholarships are available
- Portal to Europe-wide resources, from Delia Venables www.venables.co.uk/europe.htm
- Law firms and lawyers in Europe listed by country www.hg.org/euro-firms.html
- The New York Bar Exam www.nybarexam.org - graduates with an English law degree can study for this exam in the UK at the following institutions
- Legal Education in the USA – from the Fulbright Commission www.fulbright.org.uk/media/pdf/AddnlExchangeOpps/Legal_Education.pdf
- Chambers Directory of US firms online www.chambersandpartners.co.uk/USA
- FindLaw Career Center http://careers.findlaw.com - extensive employer directory of several hundred law firms
- Canadian Students Law Society at the University of Kent www.facebook.com/KentCanadianLawSociety
- Canadian Bar Association www.cba.org
- Federation of Law Societies of Canada www.flsc.ca
- List of Canadian law schools and other legal resources, including vacancies www.canadian-universities.net/Law-Schools/index.html
- Canadian Law List www.canadianlawlist.com searchable list of firms by city and practice area
Australia and New Zealand
- The Law Council of Australia www.lawcouncil.asn.au
- Australian Law Schools www.australian-universities.com/schools/law
- The Law Society of New Zealand www.nz-lawsoc.org.nz
- Asia Law Profiles www.asialawprofiles.com
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific Top 500 www.legal500.com/books/as500
- The Lawyer Asia Pacific top 150 firms 2014 http://bit.ly/1nYMqFZ
- China Lawyers Association www.acla.org.cn/html/union/englishunion/briefintroduction.html
- Chinese Law Firm Directory www.chinalawyers.com
- The Law Society of Hong Kong www.hklawsoc.org.hk- includes list of firms and information on qualifying in Hong Kong
- The Bar Council of Malaysia www.malaysianbar.org.my
- The Law Society of Singapore www.lawsoc.org.sg
- Lehman, Lee & Xu www.lehmanlaw.com Branches in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, Shenyang and Chengdu.
- Nigeria Law www.nigeria-law.org - the web site for everything about the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- The Law Society of Kenya www.lsk.or.ke
- The Law Society of South Africa www.lssa.org.za
- The International Centre for Commercial Law www.legal500.com A guide to the legal market in over 70 countries with in-depth independent editorial and law firm directories
- Career Opportunities in the International Legal Field: outlines the different options in public and private international law and provides links to employers and information resources. The PDF can be found here
- List of Bar associations by region from Hieros Gamos legal research centre www.hg.org/bar.html
- IFLR1000 www.iflr1000.com guide to the world's leading financial law firms, covering over 1000 firms in 100 jurisdictions
- Delia Venables' Legal Resources www.venables.co.uk
Last fully updated in 2015