What can I do with a Degree in Drama?
- What skills have I gained on my course?
- Jobs where a Drama and Theatre degree may be useful
- Drama and Theatre Graduates= Destinations
- Longer Term Prospects
- Drama and Theatre Links – Useful websites
This section has been written for undergraduate and postgraduate students of Drama and Theatre and related subjects at the University of Kent. It attempts to give a brief answer to the question: "What can I do with my degree?”
Although your main interest may be in how to make the best use of your degree subject, there are many issues which are common to all undergraduates and postgraduates planning their careers. Some of these are covered in our Choosing a Career pages which will also help you to assess your strengths, weaknesses, interests, abilities and skills in order to relate career options to what you want from your career.
A degree in Theatre and Drama provides graduates with a wide range of transferable skills, which are important in many career fields.
To the many employers who recruit graduates in any discipline, these skills will be more important than the actual subject of your degree.
- Stage manager
- Arts administrator
- Drama teacher
- Television production assistant
- Radio presenter
- Theatre director www.prospects.ac.uk/theatre_director.htm
JOBS WHERE A DRAMA AND THEATRE MAY BE USEFUL
- Youth & community worker
- Personnel manager
- Social worker
- Marketing manager
- Charities administrator
Postgraduate study may enable you to explore aspects of Drama and Theatre in greater depth or to study a new subject. You should consider why you want to do postgraduate work, whether it will affect your career prospects and whether you are likely to get funding. There is no equivalent of UCAS for postgraduate study, so investigate courses early, starting with the Postgraduate Study section of this website and the Prospects website. If you are already a student on a taught Masters degree, you may wish to continue your studies by research, in the UK (at Kent or elsewhere) or overseas. Again, early planning is important. You should seek advice from your supervisor as to the possible options.
The latest destinations for all subjects including undergraduates and postgraduates at Kent can be found at www.kent.ac.uk/careers/fdrbases/destinations.htm
Here are some examples of what Drama and Theatre Graduates are doing several years after graduation
- Actor/Teacher - Crucible Theatre
- Director of PR/Marketing - Equestrian Charity
- News Reporter - The Stage & Television Today
- Administrator - University Theatre
- Box Office Manager - English National Opera
- Editor - Trade Union
- Lecturer - South Kent College of FE
- Reception Administrator - Advertising Production Co
- Literary Agent – Sheill and Associates
- Lecturer - University
- Administrator/General Manager - Dance Company
- Director - Theatre
- Actress/Lecturer - Freelance
- Actress/Special Needs Worker - Freelance
- Careers Service Media Links www.kent.ac.uk/careers/sitesmedia.htm Publishing, Journalism, Media and Music links
- Media Jobs CV and Covering Letter and Actors CV
- Arts Hub www.artshub.co.uk Large listing arts and creative jobs including internships and work experience. Jobs bulletin with 100 new listings each week is emailed free to members weekly. Free to join. Cover theatre, dance, visual arts, film, tv and radio, writing and publishing, design, music, fashion and the creative industries. Sister websites in the US and Australia.
- Media Volt www.mediavolt.co.uk Media community site offering Auditions & Jobs for Models, writers, Actors, Musicians and TV/Film production crew.
- The Conference of Drama schools in the UK www.drama.ac.uk
- National Council for Drama Training www.ncdt.co.uk
- "The Spotlight" www.spotlightcd.com Publishers of casting directories and contacts with profiles of over 25,000 professionals in the performance industry
- Outlines of careers and theatres in the UK www.dramauk.co.uk
- Online Directory of postgraduate courses in the UK www.prospects.ac.uk/student/pgdir
- The Association of British Theatre Technicians www.abtt.org.uk
- The Society of British Theatre Designers www.theatredesign.org.uk
- Association of Lighting Designers www.ald.org.uk
- Web pages for the Regional Arts Boards of the Arts Council www.arts.org.uk
- UK Theatre Web site www.uktw.co.uk
- The Stage newspaper www.thestage.co.uk
- Actor's One Stop Shop www.actorsone-stopshop.com
- Broadcast Now (radio and television) www.broadcastnow.co.uk site for the national radio industry
- Grapevine Jobs www.grapevinejobs.com for jobs in broadcast, film and music.
- Creative Choices www.creative-choices.co.uk provides tools, knowledge and networks to support the development of individuals and business within the creative and cultural industries.
- English National Youth Arts Network www.artswork.org.uk/enyan-home
- Arts Council www.artscouncil.org.uk
- BBC Performing Arts Fund www.bbc.co.uk/performingartsfund
- Mandy’s Film and TV Production Directory www.mandys.com
- Skillset profiles on a range of different media career areas plus tips for getting in www.skillset.org
Last fully updated 2013