What can I do with a degree in .... Sociology?
- Occupations of UK Sociology graduates
- Employers of UK Sociology graduates
- Jobs where a Sociology degree may be useful
- Skills developed studying Sociology
- Employment & Further Study of Kent Sociology graduates
- Careers and Employability Service Resources
- Sociology LINKS: useful websites
At Kent Sociology can be studied with a variety of other subjects. The destination statistics below reflect all types of combinations available.
Here are the occupational groups in which Sociology graduates nationally first gain employment, based on recent data.
- Clerical & Secretarial
- Management & Administration
- Associate Professional & Technical Occupations
- Personal Services
- Professional Occupations
These are examples of the employment areas first entered by Sociology graduates.
Here are some examples of jobs where a Sociology degree may be useful. You can research more information about these occupations by looking in the Occupational files of the careers library at the CAS or by visiting the Prospect website at www.prospects.ac.uk
Here are some examples of the transferable skills developed as a result of studying Sociology. They are not limited to your academic study and can be applied to other contexts. Employers' job vacancy details often refer to them when they advertise the positions available. They can also be used on the skills sections of your CV to demonstrate the broad range of qualities you have to offer.
The latest destinations for all subjects including undergraduates and postgraduates at Kent can be found at www.kent.ac.uk/careers/fdrbases/destinations.htm
Here are some examples of CAS facilities available to University of Kent Sociology students. There are many more, so why not visit us and see what else we have. We are located next to Keynes College and are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.
- Alumni Careers Network
- Employer Files
- Occupational Files
- Occupational Profiles
- Prospect Planner - generates job ideas
- Sociology Careers Education Programme for 2nd Year undergraduates in Lent Term
- Sociology Information & Opportunities (British Sociological Association)
- "Options with Sociology" information sheet
- SSPSSR Employability pages www.kent.ac.uk/sspssr/why-study-with-us/employability/index.html
- Graduate Jobs.com Sociology Careers www.graduate-jobs.com/degree/sociology
- American Sociological Association www.asanet.org
- British Association of Social Workers www.basw.co.uk
- British Sociological Association www.britsoc.co.uk
- Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) www.esrc.ac.uk
- Health and Care Professions Council www.hpc-uk.org
- Online Directory of postgraduate courses in the UK www.prospects.ac.uk/links/Pgdbase
- Social Care Institute for Excellence www.scie.org.uk
- Social Work Admissions System www.ucas.com
- Social Work www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/socialwork.htm
- Social Care Jobs www.communitycare.co.uk/jobs
- UNjobfinder UNjobfinder.org Supports individuals who are interested in a career with the United Nations, World Bank or other International Development Organizations.
Last fully updated 2014