Gym & Sports
There are a number of gyms within Brussels plus regular sporting events, including the Brussels 20k (a 20 kilometre run that has taken place annually since 1980) and international sporting events.
Facilities at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
University of Kent students are able to access extensive sport facilities on the VUB campus for a nominal fee. The facilities include a swimming pool, athletics track, two big multi-sports halls, artificial grass rugby/football (soccer) pitches, artificial grass training field for tennis and football, three squash courts and a martial arts centre. There are a number of regular classes, competitions and sporting activities taking place regularly.
To become a member of the VUB sports facilities, visit the sports complex on the VUB campus (building L)
- Subscription cost for five years is €7.50.
- The card can be preloaded for participation in the sport!mix range of events, a series of lessons or individual swimming, jogging or squash sessions.
For more information: http://uabsport.be/en/ The website is in Dutch and English.
Basic-Fit Sports Facilities
There are more than 40 branches of Basic-Fit gyms throughout Brussels and membership allows access to all Basic-Fit clubs throughout Belgium.
The closest Basic-Fit gym to BSIS is on the VUB campus (in the same building as the sports complex) and includes a wide range of exercise machines as well as live classes
- Basic-Fit Easy: Annual subscription cost €239.88 plus a registration fee of €19.99
- Basic-Fit Smart: Monthly subscription cost €19.99 plus a registration fee of €19.99
- Basic-Fit Flex: For a mimimum of one month: €24.99 plus a registration fee of €29.99
For more information: http://www.basic-fit.be/fr The website is available in French or Dutch only but staff working at the VUB Basic-Fit do speak English.
Students registered on programmes involving study in Canterbury should refer to the main Kent website for further information: http://www.kent.ac.uk/sports/students/index.html