Safety and certification
Before agreeing to rent any property from an agent or landlord, prospective tenants are advised to ensure the property has the following basic safety requirements. Ask the landlord to show you the following:
- Tenancy deposit protection scheme
- Energy performance certificate.
- A current gas and safety certificate. Also, make sure the gas safety checklist points are all met.
- An electrical wiring safety certificate.
- Fire safety equipment, including smoke detectors in the hallway and landing areas.
- In Canterbury, all property should be accredited under Home Stamp, Kent Union's student housing accreditation scheme.