The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
What Computing/IT skills do I need?
Computer skills are important for students.
- Most essays and other pieces of work have to be submitted in word processed format.
- Your academic department and the University will contact you by email with important information.
- Some of your modules may use Moodle - a Web based teaching resource.
- The internet and World Wide Web are valuable research tools.
- The Library has many electronic resources - the Library catalogue and e-journals being the most essential.
How can I improve my skills?
Online learning is available to help you study at your own pace at a time to suit you. This can help with improving keyboard/typing skills, wordprocessing, managing files, using the internet, critically evaluating information and much more.
Study for an IT qualification: prove your IT competence by studying for the internationally recognised European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) qualification.
Talk to an advisor
If you are not sure where to start, or would like to discuss your progression route with an advisor please contact the IT Training team, Information Services. Telephone: 01227 827501 or email