The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Dr Alvise Sforza Tarabochia
Lecturer in Italian
- 01227 (82)7944
Office: Rutherford W4W.3
Office hours: Wednesday 10-11 and Thursday 15.30-16.30
After graduating cum laude in Philosophy at the Università degli Studi di Trieste, I moved to Kent, where I completed (2011) my PhD in Italian Studies, defending a thesis on the thought of the psychiatrist Franco Basaglia. I have been appointed Lecturer in Italian at Kent in the same academic year. I now research in the field of Italian studies, medical humanities, contemporary continental philosophy and psychoanalysis.
I co-founded the peer reviewed open access journal Skepsi of whose editorial board I am still a honorary member. I am currently editor of the European Journal of Psychoanalysis, for which I had previously worked as translator and copy editor.back to top
- C. Sini, ‘Image and Imagination in Wittgenstein and Freud’, in European Journal of Psychoanalysis, forthcoming.
- G. Goretti Regazzoni, ‘On Procreating Today’, in International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 93(5), 2012: 1153–1173.
- D. Tarizzo, ‘Biopolitics and the Ideology of “Mental Health”’, Filozofski vestnik, XXXII(2), 2011: 135–149.
- M. Bonazzi, ‘Lacan’s Onto-graphy’, in European Journal of Psychoanalysis, 32, 2012.
- D. Tarizzo, ‘Untamed Ontology’, in Angelaki, 16(3) 2011: 53–61.
- E. Schachter, ‘Gli Ebrei d’Italia dal 1848 al 1915: fra tradizione e trasformazione’, in Pagine Ebraiche, 4, April 2011: 6–7.
- R. Madera, ‘C.G. Jung as a Forerunner of a Philosophy for the Soul’, in European Journal of Psychoanalysis, 29, 2009: 79–106.
- C. Cimino, ‘The Gaze on the Real. Marco Bechis’ Political Poetics’, in European Journal of Psychoanalysis, 28, 2009: 35–44.
- V.A., ‘Introduction to the New Edition’, in European Journal of Psychoanalysis, 26/27, 2008: 7–10.
- Un Carpe Diem per il Duemila. In “L’Altrapagina”, Jun. 2007.
- Terra, Uomo, Legge, Storia: Invito all’Eredità Culturale degli Aborigeni Australiani, In “L’Altra- pagina”, Jan. 2007
- De Senectute, In “L’Altrapagina”, Nov. 2006.
- La Cura di Sé e la Cura dell’Altro, In “L’Altrapagina”, Oct. 2006
- Il Problema dell’Altro dallo Scontro al Dialogo fra Culture. In “L’Altrapagina”, Sept. 2006.
- Il soggetto nella 'Italian Theory' fra biopolitica e psicoanalisi (Psychoanalysis and Political Theory. International Conference, Università di Salerno, 5-7 June 2013)
- Communitas, Immunitas, and the Empty Subject. Subjectivity between Biopolitics and Psychoanalysis (Italian Biopolitical Theory: Immanenge and Subjectivity. International Conference, Ljubljana, 24-25 May 2013)
- Radicalità del pensiero di Franco Basaglia in regime di biopolitica (CEDEP Séminaire résidentiel, Paris, 18-20 May 2013)
- (with Marco Piasentier) The Unborn and the Undead: Exclusive Inclusion in The Walking Dead Idea of Community. (Skepsi Fifth International Conference, University of Kent, 26 May 2012)
- Mental Illness between Brackets: Foucauldian Ascendancy on the Italian Psychiatric Reform. (Transfaculty Foucault Seminar, Kent Law School, University of Kent, 28 February 2012).
- The Lacking Subject and the Subject of Lack: Basaglia, Lacan, Foucault. (Interdisciplinary Research Seminar Series, University of Kent, 12 December 2011).
- (with Wissia Fiorucci) The aphanisis of the Pirandellian Subject. (Graduate Seminars, University of Kent, 10 April 2011).
- Opening the Doors: From the Asylum into the Community. Invited Speaker (Friends of Italian at Kent, Canterbury, 18 May 2009).
- Demarginalising Madness: Marco Cavallo and the Italian Psychiatric Reform. (‘De-marginalising the Marginal Research Forum’, University College Dublin, 1 April 2009).
- ‘Il Filosofo Basaglia’: a Philosophical Reading of the Italian Psychiatric Reform. (Graduate Conference in Italian Studies, University College Cork, 20 February 2009).
- Testimony in Franco Basaglia’s Practice. (Cultural Memory International Conference, University of Kent, 10 September 2008).
- ‘Legge Basaglia’ Thirty Years Later: the Road to Psychiatric Health Care Reform in Its Symbol. (Society for Italian Studies Postgraduate Colloquium, University of Reading, 6 June 2008).
- Grafting and De-Grafting Mental Illness: the Identity of Madness. (Graft and Transplant, Identities in Question, Skepsi Graduate Conference, University of Kent, 24 May 2008).
- When the Outside Met the Inside: Marco Cavallo as a Symbol of Demarginalisation in Italian Psychiatry. (Chiasmi Harvard-Brown Postgraduate Conference, Brown University, USA, 15 March 2008).
- La questione della cura fra psicoanalisi e consulenza filosofica. Invited speaker. (Università degli Studi di Trieste, Dipartimento di Filosofia, Ciclo di seminari La cura di sé, 23 March 2007).
After completing a major research project, resulting in the publication of the monograph on Franco Basaglia, I have recently embarked on a long term project on the photographic visualisation of the politics of life, aimed at the popularisation of the academic debate on biopolitics. I also research in the emerging field of the 'Italian theory', with particular focus on the relationship between biopolitical criticism and Lacanian psychoanalysis. Among my primary research interests are:
- Documentary photography
- The notion of subjectivity in Italian Theory, biopolitics and psychoanalysis
- Psychiatry, the implications of the DSM-5 and the role of the neurosciences in shaping the notion of subjectivity
- Contemporary Italian cinema and episodic TV shows
- Game studies and the new media